The windscreen and buffeting thread for the 2017+ DL650, the only one! - Page 31 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 329 Old 08-03-2019, 03:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Ahhh.. Little mistake about hight.
My hight is 178cm or 5,83989501 feet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 329 Old 08-04-2019, 03:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice job. I will try. Copy on paper with dimensions ?
post #303 of 329 Old 08-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Just make sure handguards has room and dont hit it.

post #304 of 329 Old 08-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

You da man!!!!
I found out that most of the air turbulence comes from the side of the fairing and I was looking for a way to test some deflectors without drilling holes. Brilliant. Will try it and post my results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhat View Post
Here is where my quest for smoother airflow has lead me. Each iteration seems to have progressively gotten smoother for my head. Starting with me, I am 61 tall with a 35 inseam which makes me very long legged for my height. I am 185 pounds and am using the Suzuki tall seat.

First was the Givi windscreen, much better than stock, using the mirror extenders I cut down the head buffeting significantly but there was room for improvement. I ran the windscreen in the lowest bolt holes and the sliding portion almost at the lowest position.

Next was the eBay special cheap aftermarket mirrors in an effort to cut down on the turbulence from the big stock mirrors that was hitting me on the sides of the helmet. The mirror change yielded less buffeting but the buffeting vibration was at a higher frequency. At 60 mph it was fine, at 80 mph, it was a bit uncomfortable. Here too I ended up running the screen in the lowest holes and the sliding portion all the way down or up an inch or so.

To try to combat this higher frequency buffeting I found that a couple of rubber washers under the lower screen bolts to tilt the screen back helped along with running the screen in the highest bolt holes with the sliding portion all of the way down. The high frequency buffeting was definitely better but was still there at higher speeds. Additionally I did not like the screen up high as sometimes I ended up looking through rather than over. The other thing that I noticed with running the screen higher is that while it helped with the helmet buffeting but it left more wind blast on my shoulders than I cared.

I got the idea of trying some fairing spoiler pieces after I saw that people were having good luck with them on the prior generation bike and thought it would help with the shoulder wind blast that i was now getting. One of the things I did notice with the higher screen was more noise through the bottom of the helmet which was bothersome even with ear plugs.

I bought a plastic trash can to cut up to try out the fairing spoiler idea. This was a definite improvement with the shoulder wind blast and the wind noise was definitely reduced. The side effect though was more of the high frequency buffeting from the small mirrors was now hitting my helmet. I then lowered the windscreen to the lowest bolt holes (still with the rubber washer spacers to tilt the screen back slightly) which was an improvement to the head and made the airflow over my torso very comfortable.

I started thinking that the replacement mirrors were now part of the problem. I went back to the factory mirrors and the mirror extenders. Wow, that was really an improvement, the high frequency vibrations were gone even at really high speeds. The factory mirrors make quite a bit of turbulence but it is a much lower frequency and now this turbulence is no longer hitting my helmet. The combination of the low screen and the trash can spoilers are pushing the almost all of turbulence outside of the space my helmet occupies when riding.

I think I have hit on the magical combination of things that has lowered the turbulence below the level of many other bikes I have ridden which is a very large improvement from the stock bike. Right now my trash can spoilers are held on by Velcro. My next step is to make some nicer spoilers out of carbon fiber and either stay with the Velcro or use some double sided foam tape to adhere them to the bodywork.

This was my journey, maybe it will provide some ideas for others that are also fighting with buffeting.

Update: I have played with moving my spoilers backwards and forward and I have found a spot where I am totally free of buffeting both with and without the tank bag. My quest to fix the buffeting problem is over. I cleaned up the cut edges with a flame and for the time being, I am going to skip making carbon ones and just ride what I already have.

In summary, Givi Airflow windscreen in the lowest bolt holes, two rubber washers per side under the lower bolts to tilt the screen back slightly. Locktite was used to make sure the bolts did not back out over time. Sliding portion of the screen all of the way down. Stock mirrors with the Adventure Tech mirror extenders. Trash can spoilers as shown in the pictures, Velcro attachment.
post #305 of 329 Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought a V-strom 650XT Touring after riding an FJR for about 5 years. I had a 2009 V-strom and fully expected that I would need a Madstad replacement for this bike. I have to agree with some of the comments here. The 2019 windscreen is much improved as for as buffeting goes. I don't plan on replacing it. Im very happy with the lack of buffeting on this new V-strom
post #306 of 329 Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

ooooh, I added a 20" Madstad, and all I can say is WOW

Along with my other mods, I'm finally comfortable on the bike. This windscreen made a big difference for me. Stock was between OK and bad. I tried the Givi and that made it worse. This Madstad though is the bee's knees.
post #307 of 329 Old 10-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhat View Post
Here is where my quest for smoother airflow has lead me. Each iteration seems to have progressively gotten smoother for my head. Starting with me, I am 61 tall with a 35 inseam which makes me very long legged for my height. I am 185 pounds and am using the Suzuki tall seat.

First was the Givi windscreen, much better than stock, using the mirror extenders I cut down the head buffeting significantly but there was room for improvement. I ran the windscreen in the lowest bolt holes and the sliding portion almost at the lowest position.

Next was the eBay special cheap aftermarket mirrors in an effort to cut down on the turbulence from the big stock mirrors that was hitting me on the sides of the helmet. The mirror change yielded less buffeting but the buffeting vibration was at a higher frequency. At 60 mph it was fine, at 80 mph, it was a bit uncomfortable. Here too I ended up running the screen in the lowest holes and the sliding portion all the way down or up an inch or so.

To try to combat this higher frequency buffeting I found that a couple of rubber washers under the lower screen bolts to tilt the screen back helped along with running the screen in the highest bolt holes with the sliding portion all of the way down. The high frequency buffeting was definitely better but was still there at higher speeds. Additionally I did not like the screen up high as sometimes I ended up looking through rather than over. The other thing that I noticed with running the screen higher is that while it helped with the helmet buffeting but it left more wind blast on my shoulders than I cared.

I got the idea of trying some fairing spoiler pieces after I saw that people were having good luck with them on the prior generation bike and thought it would help with the shoulder wind blast that i was now getting. One of the things I did notice with the higher screen was more noise through the bottom of the helmet which was bothersome even with ear plugs.

I bought a plastic trash can to cut up to try out the fairing spoiler idea. This was a definite improvement with the shoulder wind blast and the wind noise was definitely reduced. The side effect though was more of the high frequency buffeting from the small mirrors was now hitting my helmet. I then lowered the windscreen to the lowest bolt holes (still with the rubber washer spacers to tilt the screen back slightly) which was an improvement to the head and made the airflow over my torso very comfortable.

I started thinking that the replacement mirrors were now part of the problem. I went back to the factory mirrors and the mirror extenders. Wow, that was really an improvement, the high frequency vibrations were gone even at really high speeds. The factory mirrors make quite a bit of turbulence but it is a much lower frequency and now this turbulence is no longer hitting my helmet. The combination of the low screen and the trash can spoilers are pushing the almost all of turbulence outside of the space my helmet occupies when riding.

I think I have hit on the magical combination of things that has lowered the turbulence below the level of many other bikes I have ridden which is a very large improvement from the stock bike. Right now my trash can spoilers are held on by Velcro. My next step is to make some nicer spoilers out of carbon fiber and either stay with the Velcro or use some double sided foam tape to adhere them to the bodywork.

This was my journey, maybe it will provide some ideas for others that are also fighting with buffeting.

Update: I have played with moving my spoilers backwards and forward and I have found a spot where I am totally free of buffeting both with and without the tank bag. My quest to fix the buffeting problem is over. I cleaned up the cut edges with a flame and for the time being, I am going to skip making carbon ones and just ride what I already have.

In summary, Givi Airflow windscreen in the lowest bolt holes, two rubber washers per side under the lower bolts to tilt the screen back slightly. Locktite was used to make sure the bolts did not back out over time. Sliding portion of the screen all of the way down. Stock mirrors with the Adventure Tech mirror extenders. Trash can spoilers as shown in the pictures, Velcro attachment.

I was curious what the factory screen might be like with the spoilers. I swapped the Givi screen out and put the factory screen back on in the lowest position and took the bike out on the highway. When the screen is in the lowest position I still have no buffeting but much more wind on my head and body than the Givi screen. When i tried raising the factory screen the buffeting came back as i do not think my spoilers were big enough and that turbulent air was sneaking in above the spoilers and below the raised screen.

At least for me, the buffeting problem is not the windscreen but it is the bodywork and mirrors and how the air flows off of them. Moving the airflow out further to the sides takes the turbulent air from the bodywork and mirrors away from the helmet. Personally I prefer the additional wind coverage of the Givi screen but the factory screen might be a bit cooler in summer.

Pumper and I seem to have two variations of the same idea to address buffeting and both work well although I will admit Pumpers solution is prettier than my test pieces.

2017 V-Strom 650
2012 DRZ 400
post #308 of 329 Old 10-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper View Post
My solutions to buffeting.
And its gone. 140km/h and no earplugs, and there is just a little sound from the wind. No head shaking
Made of acrylic/plexiglas and shaped with a little blowtorch, painted with spray folie, 30 mm distance nuts or what they are called
Im 5"6, 32 in

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5000 med Tapatalk
That's very nice!
do you have a drawing of the parts, dimensions etc..would be great to try and make them too
post #309 of 329 Old 10-07-2019, 07:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Excellent ideas on this thread. I did some experimenting and the buffeting is definitely coming from bodywork and also just beside the mirrors, as a result of a lack wider deflection from the OEM screen. I recall I had the famous "Augustus" deflectors on my DL650 which made a huge difference. That and the Givi screen was all I needed to solve the buffeting on that bike. Time to create something similar as mentioned previously.

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT
post #310 of 329 Old 10-07-2019, 10:40 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper View Post
My solutions to buffeting.
And its gone. 140km/h and no earplugs, and there is just a little sound from the wind. No head shaking
Made of acrylic/plexiglas and shaped with a little blowtorch, painted with spray folie, 30 mm distance nuts or what they are called
Im 5"6, 32 in

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5000 med Tapatalk
Who wants to make me a set of these!?!

Seriously nice work. Any additional info on dimensions might motivate me to try this.

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode