The windscreen and buffeting thread for the 2017+ DL650, the only one! - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 329 Old 04-22-2017, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I sold my 2011 V Strom 650 and bought the new 2017 V Strom 650. This new bike has way less wind buffeting than my 2011 did! The windshield has three different height adjustment holes. I am 6' 1" with an inseam of 34 inches. I put the windshield on the highest hole and added a 1/8" thick rubber spacer on each side between the windshield and the top bolt which made the windshield stand up about 3/4 of an inch straighter at the top. I had the bike up to 100 mph and the wind buffeting is about zero now. I am wearing an HJC CL 17 helmet. The wind is so smooth and perfect I do not believe I am going to purchase an aftermarket windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 329 Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

good to know i might try that
post #13 of 329 Old 04-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Helpful suggestion, I'll try this before ordering an aftermarket screen

post #14 of 329 Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

great suggestion. I have no buffeting until @85 then a little. windshield on highest, 6'1" 32 inseam.

BOYCOTT Photobucket!
post #15 of 329 Old 04-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I only have 50 miles on my 2017. I'm coming from a '82 Yamaha Maxim with no screen, so take my words with that in mind.
I found excellent results with the screen at the lowest setting. I'm 6'1" with 35" inseam.
The wind hits me right about the neck, but the buffering is minor.
Crouching to get all the way into the dead zone proves even calmer.
Standing up into the clear zone gives smooth air.
Maybe in colder weather, or after the first wet ride I'll change it, but for now it stays on low.
post #16 of 329 Old 05-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I tried raising the screen to the top setting. Wind noise and buffering increased drastically.
The boundary zone hits me right square in the top of the face shield. The wind noise is now thundering claps of buffeting air slamming my helmet.
The provlem Is not as much the physical buffeting, but the sound is unbearable.
Going to try to shim it a little more upright to see if that helps.
Otherwise I will drop it back down until I can get a better solution.
post #17 of 329 Old 05-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

My first good ride on my 2017 ..... was happy that I remembered ear plugs. Big difference from Givi Air Flow on my 2014 to this lower height screen. My head isn't like a bobble head doll but the noise is incredibly unbearable on the highest position. Yes it's much better with ear plugs but the Givi Air Flow was much better for me. When they are made for this model I will get one. 5'9" and 30" inseam.
post #18 of 329 Old 06-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have been talking to Madstad for a couple of months now trying to get a bracket and windscreen that will fit my 2017 650, but so far no luck. Does anyone have a different windscreen installed that is an improvement over the stock? I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam.

Thanks,

Paul
post #19 of 329 Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I note that MRA has 3 aftermarket windshields planned for the 2017 Vstrom 650 (their Vario-touring screen, Multi-X screen, and basic touring windshield) for 'provisional delivery' now (whatever that means) for folks in Europe...the pricing on their website is in UK Pounds...so hopefully we'll have some options by mid-Summer in the US. Like others have said, i'd really like to get a Givi Airflow for the 2017 but I've not heard anything regarding availability for our bikes yet. The MRA looks like a good option in the absence of the Givi, but i'd love to hear opinions from others. Also, if anyone finds one of either brand please let us know!

Thanks!
dh
post #20 of 329 Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have an Air Flow screen on my 2015 650 which I am trading in for a new Yellow 650X and I dont think it would take much to remove the mounts for the sliding outer screen and get them mounted onto the stock screen for the 2017 model. This way you would still have the stock screen fitted but also the main outer screen from the Air Flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode