Blown main fuse after wash - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Blown main fuse after wash

This isn't the first time I've had this problem, but it's the first time it's prevented me from going on a much anticipated ride.

I washed my bike this morning with my garden hose. No pressure washer was used, and the nozzle was not a concentrated stream. It was a thorough wash, I hit all the main spots including the engine, dash and steering column.

My bike started right up, but after a few miles of riding the dash looked like it went into an electronic seizure of lights and random tach readings, then shut off. The bike also shut off.

I pulled over and found that my main 30 amp fuse was blown. Whereas the problem was fixed by replacing the fuse in the past, this time it kept eating fuses. After about 4 fuses, I had the bike towed back to my garage where it decided it wasn't hungry for fuses anymore, and came back to life. Where ever the water had gotten, it must have dried up on the way home on top of the trailer.

Has anybody else has this kind of problem? Any ideas where I could start looking for the vulnerable wire harness? Or....how could I explain the problem to my dealer without them telling me it's my fault?

I could ignore the issue and wait a day after washing the bike to ride, but i don't want to risk getting stranded far away from home when it starts raining.

2012 DL650 Adventure
2006 CRF450R
2005 CRF250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am not telling you it has nothing to do with the fact that you washed it, but I dont think it was your fault, unless you washed with salted water (very conductive). You wont see 30 amp flow through clean water in so small surface. If your dealer say its your fault because you sprayed water, consider go elsewhere.
You said it's not the first time, was it after washing it the others time?

Last edited by fortp; 02-24-2013 at 08:48 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The problem is most often water getting into the main harness and causing corrosion in crimp connectors. The resultant poor connection creates heat and melts insulation. Such problems most often occur in the main harness around and just ahead of the area where the harness drapes over the aluminum frame on the left above the swingarm. It happens mostly to people who ride in salt water, ride often in the rain or wash their bikes with a hose. Assuming this is your 2012 bike, take it in if it is still under warranty. The only other 2012 I've read about having such a problem was diagnosed with abrasion of the harness on the frame so look there but I think corrosion is more likely.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

post #4 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The problem is most often water getting into the main harness and causing corrosion in crimp connectors. The resultant poor connection creates heat and melts insulation. Such problems most often occur in the main harness around and just ahead of the area where the harness drapes over the aluminum frame on the left above the swingarm. It happens mostly to people who ride in salt water, ride often in the rain or wash their bikes with a hose. Assuming this is your 2012 bike, take it in if it is still under warranty. The only other 2012 I've read about having such a problem was diagnosed with abrasion of the harness on the frame so look there but I think corrosion is more likely.
Is corrosion in electrical connections something that can be visually diagnosed?

I used Maxima O-ring safe chain cleaner a while back to clean the chain and get rid of the gunk around the counter sprocket. Sounds like the main wiring harness you described is close to that area...could this be related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
I am not telling you it has nothing to do with the fact that you washed it, but I dont think it was your fault, unless you washed with salted water (very conductive). You wont see 30 amp flow through clean water in so small surface. If your dealer say its your fault because you sprayed water, consider go elsewhere.
You said it's not the first time, was it after washing it the others time?
The other times were also after washing...although it hasn't given me any trouble while riding in heavy rain. I'm guessing wet weather conditions water hits the bike differently than hose water.

If I can't see whats going on, I'll just cash in on one of my dealers complimentary wash's :mrgreen:

2012 DL650 Adventure
2006 CRF450R
2005 CRF250R
post #5 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The only other 2012 I've read about having such a problem was diagnosed with abrasion of the harness on the frame so look there but I think corrosion is more likely.
That is a seriously nice-to-know morsel. Thanks.

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
post #6 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

The crimp connectors on the 2012 DL's are completely different from previous years, all fully exposed and encapsulated in transparent silicone, if they go bad they'll change colour - very obvious.

Abrasion is far more likely now.

Pete
post #7 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The problem I have with the abrasion idea is there are no sharp spots on the aluminum casting and the harness there is not moving around. Also, every failure report included the bike just being washed or ridden in salt spray.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

Last edited by greywolf; 02-25-2013 at 09:37 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM
$tromtrooper

Okay, is there anybody out there who has NOT had a problem after washing the bike?

Me? I wait for it to rain.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #9 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had the feed wire to the key switch break on a Honda 500/4 once. It popped fuses like that. It was at a point where the wire loom made a bend. The wire fatigued and pulled too much current through only a couple strands of wires. I'd be looking at connectors being a bit loose since you bike is so new wire failure is unlikely but not impossible, . Could be anywhere from battery to the key switch.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Something New To Worry About

Now concerns over ruining the electrical system by washing the bike. I'm coming up on 11,000 miles and routinely blast it at one of those do-it-yourself car washes. I'm cautious about the exhaust, radiator and some other common sense areas and have not had any problem before during or after. But now I'm worried. Might have to change my lazy ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode