Fuel tank hoses on Glee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fuel tank hoses on Glee

In December I lifted the fuel tank on my 2012 Glee to do wiring of various farkles over the winter. This past weekend I finally got around to putting the tank and all the plastic back on. As I was re-inserting the hoses on the bottom of the tank, I realized I had a hose that I didn't know where it belonged. My memory of what I had done two months before was obviously not good. What I WAS able to connect was obvious: the fuel pump lead wire coupler (the plastic coupler), the fuel feed hose and then a hose that clamps onto an upright nipple that is bolted to the bracket that holds the rear of the tank. (This hose is, I believe, one end of the fuel tank breather hose.)

But what to do about that final hose? Well, stupid me, I just proceeded with putting everything back together w/o knowing for sure what the hose was for.

And then I worried about having probably screwed up by leaving it unattached. I sent out a request for help. Greywolf responded and told me he thought it could be the hose that connects to the tank filler well drain.

So, I took everything apart again today. Lifted the rear of the tank while my wife poured some water VERY CAREFULLY with a funnel into the fuel filler well. And VOILA! The water came out of a gold-colored (brass?) nipple underneath the tank on the very left side of the bike (rider's left side). The gold-colored nipple is right next to a hose that connects with a clamp to the underside of the tank. (This is, I'm quite sure, the OTHER end of the fuel tank breather hose--see above). I then was able to finagle my orphan hose onto that gold-colored nipple. I then tried the water test again...and thank goodness, the water drained out of a hose on the right side of the bike, by the foot pegs. Just as it should.

I took some pictures and on a couple I tried using a mirror since I couldn't lift the rear of the tank high enough to get a camera underneath. I'm not sure how to post pictures very well, so I'm not sure how clear they will be for you. But they will include two that show the hose along the left side of the bike. (The hose is the one crossing over the orange wire--a wire for my garage door opener.) And then there are two that I took with the mirror looking up up underneath the inside of the left edge of the tank that show where the hose is attached next to the hose with a clamp on it. You can see just a hint of the gold after I put the hose back on.

For those of you who have the service manual, the picture at the bottom of the left column on page 1G-7 shows this. The picture wasn't obvious enough for me to understand until I did this work today. But in that picture, #9 is the hose with the clamp that is shown in my "mirror" pictures. #10 is the nipple where my hose (the fuel tank drain hose) got attached. The manual suggests detaching the fuel tank breather hose at this location when the tank is to be lifted. I did it at the opposite end, where the nipple is attached to the bracket that holds the rear end of the fuel tank.

I hope all of this is clear enough to be of some help.

I want to express my appreciation to Pat for his suggestion. He was right on, as always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6102-2.jpg (81.3 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6103-2.jpg (85.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6104-2.jpg (84.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6108-2.jpg (94.7 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Bemidjipaul; 02-24-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

This post was super helpful! Thanks Bemidjipaul!
post #3 of 5 Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, Wingz! I'm glad you found it helpful! I will again thank Pat (Greywolf), who saved me with his suggestion.

Paul

post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thumbs up

Thanks for a great post Bemidjipaul. My wife and I met at BSU. I know the area well.

2007 DL 650 SOLD with 56k miles
2012 DL 650
1991 DR350S (dirty bike)
2004 DR 200 (wife's dirty bike)

Janitor, writer and editor of BestScenicRoutes.com. Explore It. Experience It.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Good to hear from you, Sean! When were you and your wife here in Bemidji? Who knows...maybe our paths crossed at one point, and seven degrees of Kevin Bacon is alive and well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode