Videos on removing and reinstalling fuel tank covers on the Glee - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Good Job well done thanks for posting it.

RICK
PSALM 31

REMEMBER YOUR SAFETY FIRST ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET

My Current Motorcycles

2010 Honda VFR1200F Manual ABS Sport Touring

2008 Kawasaki VN2000J Vulcan 2000 Classic LT Big 2053 cc Cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 05-07-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, Rick!

Paul
post #13 of 20 Old 11-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
Great job, thanks for posting those.

Now if you could do a tank lift and show that, I'll send you some money!

I'm putting off messing with any body panels as long as possible....and your videos show why! So far I've been able to route wires without removing any body work, but eventually when the maintenance is due, it will be unavoidable.
Were you able to route wiring without removing the fuel tank for :
1. Front riding lights
2. Hand warmers
3. Power Commander
4. Aux connector
5. Power Center

I'm thinking about all of these but probably the step that has taken most of my attention in terms of planning has been removing the fuel tank. And because of that I was thinking too about doing all of these at the same time. But if I could do some or all of them without removing the fuel tank it sure would be nice to spread these efforts out over a longer period of time. Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

post #14 of 20 Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry I just noticed this question.

Yes, I was able to run wires for all the items you listed above without removing the tank. But it took a lot of tricky threading and fishing and time.

Since then, I have removed the tank several times for other maintence and I wish I would have just taken the time to remove it in the first place. It's not as daunting as it seems. I have found it helpful to label all the bolts for the body panels and tank mounts so that re-assembly is much easier. The owners manual gives a pretty good how to on the process. It also helped that a friend with the same bike did it with me after he had done his.

Had it to do over again, I should have just invested the time and effort to remove the tank and my wire routing could have been even cleaner and more efficient and taken less time in the end.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #15 of 20 Old 05-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Smile First time is the hardest fuel tank removal.

In the process of removing fuel tank on 2015 DL 650.
As most have posted the fuel line connector is the difficult part. Tried yesterday before night shift got in the way. Finger pressure on the two lugs didn't work so today will try either the cable tie method or maybe a small jubilee clip to tighten them down.
It's probably been covered but has any one successfully altered the connector to facilitate easier removal bearing in mind it is one under some pressure? All other parts easy to remove.
Any way a bit of a kip then will look at again.
At the moment not a necessity as I have routed my Eastern Beaver headlight loom along the correct path, but would like to be proficient in tank removal in future.

I know nuffink, I see nuffink, It was not me, I was not here.
IBA #45920
FarRider #299
2015 Wee Strom "Piglet"
Givi crash bars, Barkbusters, Ravetech Bash plate, Ravetech Rad guard, Ravetech over dash Ram mount, Hyperlite flashing brake lights, Madstad bracket and screen, Augustus wind deflectors, Spot 3, UHF two way radio, Garmin Zumo GPS, Starcom intercom, Fuze block.
SW Motech Centre stand, Suzuki power outlet. Bike Alarm, Screaming Banshee horn, Led Flood lights, Tool tube, Andy Strapz Expedition soft panniers and frames.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-27-2016, 03:46 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Try pushing the hose in to release pressure on the clip ears.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #17 of 20 Old 05-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Try pushing the hose in to release pressure on the clip ears.
Thanks, did try that before and the clips appeared to be pushed in but still couldn't pull the connector off.
I know how it works but having MS which causes a few physical motor skill deficits I find it hard to co-ordinate properly.
My hands don't co-operate sometimes, especially when tired and on night shifts.

IBA #45920
FarRider #299
2015 Wee Strom "Piglet"
Givi crash bars, Barkbusters, Ravetech Bash plate, Ravetech Rad guard, Ravetech over dash Ram mount, Hyperlite flashing brake lights, Madstad bracket and screen, Augustus wind deflectors, Spot 3, UHF two way radio, Garmin Zumo GPS, Starcom intercom, Fuze block.
SW Motech Centre stand, Suzuki power outlet. Bike Alarm, Screaming Banshee horn, Led Flood lights, Tool tube, Andy Strapz Expedition soft panniers and frames.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-27-2016, 06:19 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The important part is the squeeze. If the clip is squeezed so it clears, it takes practically zero force to withdraw the hose. Take a look at these connectors. The white ramped clip in the open sides is what keeps the connector from coming off. Squeeze the end ears of the white clip to keep the ramped pieces from stopping the black outer section from being withdrawn as the white clip remains on the metal pipe. Maybe you can get help with that.

vvarma likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #19 of 20 Old 05-27-2016, 07:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Finally got the hang of it, found that long nosed pliers are just right to squeeze the ends from right side of tank then a slight wriggle and pull and off it came. As with most things its all in the technique (thats what the wife says anyway!!!!)
I like to know I can pull the tank now without any hassles, even when about 3/4 full of fuel its not that heavy.
greywolf and vvarma like this.

IBA #45920
FarRider #299
2015 Wee Strom "Piglet"
post #20 of 20 Old 11-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the pics. Now, maybe I can get it off.

Nashcat

2018 Goldwing DCT Tour
2013 V-Strom 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode