Front Fender Warning - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

I took my fender off after work today and was concerned about these fasteners. I sprayed them with PB Blaster and then waited a little bit. I wedged a screw driver along side the square nuts and then used my 3/8" drive impact wrench to remove them. Not much trouble since I was warned! I can't believe that they used what appears to be "permanent" thread locker on these connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3003.JPG (96.9 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3004.JPG (96.7 KB, 410 views)
michaelnel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 07-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I really don't understand Suzuki's thought process on this one.
My guess. Someone somewhere had a front fender fall off or almost fall off. Suzuki legal heard about it and their answer was to put thread locker on the bolts. No more fenders falling off. When you screw things up, taking the bolts out, the repair is on you.
post #23 of 53 Old 11-15-2014, 09:23 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Some posts here went off topic to Fenda Extenda installation. They were moved to https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...ication-3.html

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html

post #24 of 53 Old 03-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thank you for the tip. For this reason I chose to andd my fenda entender without removing the front wheel. Was a pain but I shied away from the issues you warned about.
post #25 of 53 Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Forewarned is forearmed. Thank goodness for this forum and this post. One tip I can add is to reach up in the recess and put a smear of grease on the end of the bolt. I then jammed a screwdriver in-between the square nut and the recess. I could not see what I was doing but could feel when the screwdriver was properly jammed in. Then I was able to crack open the bolt without any problem and as it unscrewed the grease helped to ease it out and I could feel it getting easier and easier. Manufacturers over using locket is a a pain and reminds me of a previous era when Japanese makers used an air gun to do up all the crosshead screws holding a bike together. Without an impact driver it was impossible to get anything undone without mashing the screw head. I hardly ever need the impact driver these days, although still handy for the occasionally seized bolt/screw.
michaelnel and Old Time Rider like this.

2015 DL650
2005 Honda Transalp 650
2000 Yamaha Diversion 900
1990 Honda Transalp 600
1990 BMW 100 RS
1978 Suzuki GS750
1977 Honda 400 4
1975 Suzuki 500 twin
1973 Triumph Tiger 90
post #26 of 53 Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 PM

You can't get the front fender off with out removing the front wheel. Somewhere along the way I missed that bit of information. Anyway the orange coated allen bolts came out without incident using a needle nose pliers poked up under the fender & grasping that "V" shaped inside plate. Now I can jiggle the fender for a little more room to put on that fenda extenda I hope.
post #27 of 53 Old 07-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Glad I read about this. I would have run into it while reworking my forks with the Cogent Dynamics stuff. Now I have a plan for dealing with the fender.
post #28 of 53 Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

I ran into a different problem with the bolts on the fender. I didn't have much of a problem with the rear bolts with the nut/washer in the plastic fender. But the front bolts that screw into the forks were a problem. They too had some thread locker on them. The recess for the hex bit was so shallow that I had trouble getting enough bite with the bit that it ended up rounding it out. Luckily, there was enough of the mushroom head exposed after a few turns I could get vice grips on them. The bolts ended up with a nice knurling to the edges by the time I was done. Hard to see how they were worth $3.50 at the dealer, but I ordered them. I couldn't use a standard bolt because it has the standoff on the bolt so it doesn't crush the fender.

But I got the fork boots installed.

2013 Suzuki DL650
2012 Honda Goldwing
---------------------
2005 Honda Goldwing
1998 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic
xxxx Kawasaki KLR 650
1994 BMW K1100LT
1986 BMW R80RT
xxxx Honda XL500S
1982 Honda Goldwing
1980 Honda CX500D
1978 Honda XL250S
post #29 of 53 Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I just removed the front fender on my 2015. It was actually pretty easy.

The key, I believe, was that I sprayed PB Blaster on the threads from the inside (after removing the front wheel). Then I let it sit for about 10 minutes, and used a close fitting Bondhus allen T driver and applied pressure until the bond broke. After that, the PB Blaster penetrated and all four screws came out fairly easily. I did not have to hold the square nut (except with my fingers pressing it back into the recess while spinning the allen wrench), or jam anything in there.

If you are going to do this job, get a can of PB Blaster (it's generally useful stuff to have around anyway, you are not buying it just for this particular job, you'll need it again sometime for something else).

And use high quality straight ended (not ball end) allens like the Bondhus T-handle set I have. Ball ends won't go deep enough into the relatively shallow recess and make it much easier to round out the hex recess.

--
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

- Mark Twain, Angels Camp, CA
post #30 of 53 Old 01-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

I removed my fender to install a Fenda Extenda without removing the front wheel. The first rear screw did not come out very well. The second rear bolt removed easier with I figured out I could wedge a screw driver next to the plastic tab holding the nut and remove the bolt.

Thanks for the info on this topic.

2015 650A V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fender , glee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode