Front Fender Warning - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 53 Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

5mm Fender Bolt

I was installing my fork brace yesterday and the clearance between the plastic fender was different on the left than the right, so I decided to loosen the left side fender bolt. Big mistake. The 5mm allen stripped pretty quickly (the socket insert) even-though I was being as careful as possible.

Tempted to take to the dealer and ask them to remove all the fender bolts and replace without locktite.

Any other ideas appreciated. Maybe someone has come up with a break through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocbiker View Post
Any other ideas appreciated. Maybe someone has come up with a break through.
There are a couple of solutions in this thread which (in my opinion) are better than going back to the dealer. Long term solutions rather than short.
post #13 of 53 Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Just fitted the fender extender on my Glee, here is the offending item viwed from inside the fender with the wheel removed....

Once the wheel was removed it was straightforward to follow the advice previously given; summarised as,
  • Spray all 4 fasteners/bolts with WD 40/release oil,
  • Hold the metal catch with vice grips/pliers & unscrew bolt.
  • Anti seize grease when re-assembling.....
2012Whitewee likes this.

post #14 of 53 Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

When I installed my new forks, the first thing I took off was the front fender, my first time ever touching the bike. I had no idea about these nuts but I could tell they were going to be a pain. I used my socket and 1/4in breaker bar and bumped it forward and backward until it got looser, which was then when I could take it off.

Installed it just like it was, but with wood-type lock nuts, the ones with little spikes on the face, they work quite nicely, as I had no trouble the second time I took the fender off

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #15 of 53 Old 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just a heads up, if you are still under warranty and this has happened to you Suzuki may warranty you a new fender. I work at a shop and this happened to a brand new unit we were putting a fork brace on and Suzuki warrantied a new fender.

For those of you who always say " don't go back to the dealer cause they wont help you", it's worth a shot. And if enough people go back to dealers and Suzuki gets enough calls about it they are more likely to fix it in the future since they are now aware of it.

Just a thought.
post #16 of 53 Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a bit of a newbie dumb question... why are the 2012+ 650's referred to as "Glees"?
post #17 of 53 Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Because they use a motor that was originally in the short lived Suzuki Gladius. They tweaked it a bit for the VStrom.

So mix Gladius and Wee and you get Glee.
LawrenceVee and BigglesOz like this.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #18 of 53 Old 08-30-2013, 06:38 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
See my sig.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #19 of 53 Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

No thread lock on my 2007 DL650A fender rear bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shards View Post
Decided to remove the Front fender to make fitting an extender a bit easier. Sounds pretty simple? Not so! When I tried to remove the rear bolts they were VERY stiff and eventually just turned on their own. The reason? They have a square-shaped spacer/nut combination thingy that sits in a flimsy plastic surround inside the wheel area and the bolts are loaded with thread lock. In the end I had to hold the "nut" with small grip-locks and slowly work the bolt out. I ended up drilling out the 6mm spacer to 6.5mm, replacing the bolt with a longer one and putting a nylok nut on the end. Of course, I might just have been unlucky, this is just a "heads up" in case this happens to you and what seems to be a simple job turns into a marathon.
No thread lock on my 2007 DL650A fender rear bolts - but the square washer is still a PITA
post #20 of 53 Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

It would have been nice if I paid attention to this before I had my service guy work on my forks. Oh well one came out no problem.

2014 BMW F800gs

2011 TW200

2012 DL650 SOLD

2007 DL650a SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fender , glee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode