Installed Rostra cruise control now speedometer doesn¯t work - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Installed Rostra cruise control now speedometer doesn’t work

Sorry in advance for the long post.

I installed a Rostra electric cruise control on my 2012 DL650 Adventure. I had installed two aftermarket cruise controls on cars before so while I wasn’t looking forward to the v-trom cc install, I really wasn’t intimidated by it either.

When I went out for a test ride after the Rostra was installed the LED “on light” on the cc switch lit up so I thought that was a good indication the cc might be working, but I only got down the street before I noticed my speedometer was reading zero miles an hour. The tachometer worked fine as did the tail light and brake light. The speedometer had been working okay before the Rostra install. I came right back home without testing the cruise control. I attributed the malfunction to the cheap tap-in connectors provided with the Rostra unit. I did use them as a temporary solution and was going to upgrade the connectors or just simply solider them later once I knew everything was up and running.

So I soldered the gray wire from the Rostra main harness to the pink/white VSS wire eliminating the cheap plastic connector thinking that would solve the problem, but a test ride still resulted in the speedometer reading zero miles an hour. During the test I got the bike above 45 mph (GPS indicated) and tried to engage the cc, but I guess not surprisingly it didn’t work.

I have inspected the wiring and everything looks okay, although I did shorten many wires and removed those ‘through the firewall connectors’ so the wiring harness doesn’t resemble its original self and unfortunately it is still more than just a little bit of an unmentionable cluster. All of my wire colors seem to be matched up correctly and it looks like they are going to the right places.

I removed and inspected the VSS sensor itself, but there isn’t much to see. I had installed a Scottoiler (a decision I am somewhat starting to regret) and wanted to make sure the VSS unit didn’t have some kind of oil spatter issue, but it didn’t nor did any of the wires or connectors. I checked for continuity of the pink/white wire from the connector where the VSS unit connects around mid bike just above the VSS unit itself to the up front connector on the front left side of the fairing just past where I spliced into the pink/white wire and its fine. The continuity between the Rostra main unit connector gray wire and the front pink/white wire connector is also okay. The wiring seems to all be okay. So in other words my continuity test indicates that even if I completely remove the Rostra unit and wiring and solder the pink/white VSS wire back to its original condition, the speedometer is still going read zero miles an hour. The VSS isn’t picking up the pulse. I did unhook the negative terminal on the battery before I started any wiring and didn’t reconnect it until I finished everything.

I’m clueless at this point and don’t know what to try next. Is there an easy way to test the VSS unit with a multi-meter? Could one of those cheesy tap-in connectors have caused some kind of short or incomplete circuit which caused the VSS unit to short out?

Oh and to add insult to injury, I found the rubber bushing thingy pictured below lying on the garage floor and I don’t know what it is or where it came from, does anybody recognize it? Once again sorry for the long post and many gracious thanks to anybody that can help out.

2012 DL650 Adventure - Corbin seat - Rostra electric cruise control – Enduro Guardian steel skid plate – 12V accessory outlet - Garmin Nuvi GPS - Rick’s over dash GPS mount – Rick’s fork stabilizer – Rick’s side stand pad – Grip puppies – DIY bicycle handlebar highway bars – Scottoiler V-System – JC Whitney top case (temporary)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The grommet could be #18. It receives a prong from #15. See if the front of #15 moves up and down and clicks against the front support. Almost certainly, the Rostra is mis-wired. Go through each wire. It can help to have somebody else double check. The tendency is for an installer to repeat the original mistake. Check https://www.stromtrooper.com/maintena...tructions.html
Basso has done a wiring diagram that just didn't work for me. Larolco's information worked fine.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The grommet could be #18.
You’re the man greywolf. It goes in the front fuel tank bracket and helps hold piece 15.

Quote:
Almost certainly, the Rostra is mis-wired.
If I have made a mistake it will undoubtedly be the first time ever! And as Foghorn Leghorn says, that’s a joke son. I'll keep looking.

Thanks Greywolf!

By using the right search criteria, I did find the instructions for testing the (3 wire) VSS. I don't need instructions anymore.

2012 DL650 Adventure - Corbin seat - Rostra electric cruise control – Enduro Guardian steel skid plate – 12V accessory outlet - Garmin Nuvi GPS - Rick’s over dash GPS mount – Rick’s fork stabilizer – Rick’s side stand pad – Grip puppies – DIY bicycle handlebar highway bars – Scottoiler V-System – JC Whitney top case (temporary)

post #4 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick54 View Post
You’re the man greywolf. It goes in the front fuel tank bracket and helps hold piece 15.
I figured that because I fired mine into orbit and it has yet to come down. My bike has a Radio Shack grommet in there right now.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

rostra

Rick54
Don't feel lonesome. I thought I was fairly handy on mechanical things and after what I thought was a perfect, soldered, instulation, when I tried to set the cruise (and my speedo works,) the cruise no workie. I was so frustrated I decided this Winter I'd get out the troubleshooting guide and start there. I will follow this post closely.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
$tromtrooper

It's been a million years since I installed mine and I can't remember my own name these days (sleep deprivation due to teething baby). Any advice I'd have to give would be in the instructions I posted.

Try disconnecting the speedo circuit and putting it back to stock and see what happens. That way you can at least establish the speedo still works.

It does sound like something's miswired with the Rostra. Or maybe you've pulled a connector loose somewhere?

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
It's been a million years since I installed mine and I can't remember my own name these days (sleep deprivation due to teething baby). Any advice I'd have to give would be in the instructions I posted.
Thanks larolco but think I found the problem. I will be using your install instructions, but not for a week or two.

I thought about coming up with some BS story or simply disappearing, but I have decided to tell the truth. First I have to say that I have been an electrical and electronic hobbyist since I was ten or eleven years old. That’s when I got my first soldering iron. I have been a CAD jockey all my life and even spent over five years at a place that made traffic signal controllers. I made their CAD drawings so I know how to read drawings and electrical schematics.

I also have to regrettably admit that I occasionally have (and don’t want to discuss further) a brain fart disassociation condition where I will do things like get the milk out of the refrigerator and put it back in the pantry. I’m afraid this time I have done something that will be a little more costly than a carton of milk.

I connected the unused ‘optional signal generator’ connector from the main harness to the unused ‘to control switch’ connector (yes they match up) which evidently shorted out my vehicle speed sensor. I knew those connectors weren’t used. Long before I started this project I looked at the wiring instructions/diagram and my mantra became “its only six wires how hard can it be?” I must have said it over a half a dozen times, but I guess at some point I decided six wires wasn’t enough. I don’t even remember connecting the connectors together much less what my rationalization was for it.

I now have a new VSS on order; $87 and a seven to ten day wait if it isn’t on backorder. If I’m real lucky maybe I haven’t shorted out the Rostra unit.

When I told my wife I may have made a three hundred dollar mistake she was sympathetic, but then again the credit card bill hasn’t show up yet. Needless to say those unused connectors are going to get cut out of that wiring harness with extreme prejudice.

So for the record in case anybody wanted to know, if you connect those two unused connectors in the Rostra wiring harness together and apply voltage, it will more than likely fry your VSS unit.

I’m still determined that my V-Strom is going to have a cruise control even if I have to buy another one.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-19-2012, 11:17 AM
$tromtrooper

Glad to hear you found the issue. If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one who experiences brain farts. I remember coming home one day and parking the bike in the garage, dismounting, only do discover I had forgotten to engage the kickstand. Over she went.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #9 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

It works!

There be cruise control captain!

The vehicle speed sensor arrived after only a…….. ten……. day…… wait. During that time I trimmed the wiring harness some more, but my problems weren’t over yet. After I got everything re-installed I went for a test ride, but the CC was exhibiting a couple of odd behaviors. First odd behavior: if the CC unit was turned on when I came to a stop, when I release the clutch to go, the main power went out. Odd behavior number two was slightly more telling. If I hit a big enough bump, like a bridge expansion joint, the main power on the CC turned off.

It turned out to be some quick disconnects that I used for both the positive and negative power wires to the switch and were not crimped well enough. I think I ended up taking off the gas tank 4 or 5 times during the whole process. Some of those bolts have had a pretty good dent put into their duty cycle. LOL On a positive note, I can take off that gas tank real fast now.

The $87 for the VSS isn’t by far my most costly mistake. My most costly mistake is the current house I am living in which is worth about $100K less than what I paid for it. OUCH! Now that’s stupid.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Garage
Scotch locks are bad news. Posi Locks and soldered joints work well. Crimp connections can work fine with proper tools and technique but are bad otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode