Running out of gas - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Running out of gas

My gage had been blinking for a some un-payed-attention-to number of miles, 8 miles into my 12 mile commute home from work.

Bike ran flawlessly on level ground, then stalled while pulling out and would not even TRY to catch while turning it over... still on level ground.
I was a little surprised that by the "normal.. normal.. normal... completely dead," but I guess that's just how electric fuel pumps/ EFI are.
A gallon of gas and it started on first try with no hesitation. Again a little surprising: I would've expected some cranking/ time delay for the pump to re-prime all the downstream plumbing

Now having memories of the fuel pump being cooled by the fuel itself (is that right?) I'm mildly concerned about having damaged the bike.

Also a little freaked by having the bike die half way out into a busy intersection. Running out of gas can get you killed. Don't push your luck like I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Can burn your fuel pump up too.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

30 oz fuel bottle. You can get them at any camping store or on-line. Their about $20. Other companies make mounts or tool tubes to hook them to your bike. Cumbersome to refill, but better then stalling out in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

post #4 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Your fuel pump is in the lowest part of the tank for obvious reasons. That noise you hear when you turn the key is the pump priming the system with fuel. It's just how it works.
Like the other guys said, you could burn up the pump with no fuel. The fuel is the pump coolant.
Just how far did you get on that blinking light anyway?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think that fuel gauge blinks for a reason. It's saying "hey dumbass...hey dumbass!...hey dumbass!!...HEY DUMBASS!!!".

[I]When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.[/I]
- C. P. Snow
post #6 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, lol, and it's a two-pronged "hey dumbass" alert.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm not blaming the gage, or the bike - it was all me. I'll wear the "I'm a dumb-ass" hat.

The problem with my commute is I'm never more than a mile or two from a gas station, so I never feel like it's an emergency to re-fuel. The other problem is on a 50 mpg bike, if I start flashing at (what is it, 2 liters?) I still have a round-trip left in it.

Running late in the AM, "aaack, I'll stop on the way home."
After a long day in the PM, "ugh... I just want to get home."

I discovered the bike pushes very easily in neutral. :mrgreen:
post #8 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
A gallon of gas and it started on first try with no hesitation. ..a little freaked by having the bike die half way out into a busy intersection. Running out of gas can get you killed. Don't push your luck like I did.
Yet after all that, you only put ONE GALLON into your bike?!
post #9 of 12 Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
The fuel is the pump coolant.
that is a myth. actually the pump is a fuel heater. lol jk :biggrinjester:
post #10 of 12 Old 09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Got gas? Try Gas-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
I'm not blaming the gage, or the bike - it was all me. I'll wear the "I'm a dumb-ass" hat.

The problem with my commute is I'm never more than a mile or two from a gas station, so I never feel like it's an emergency to re-fuel. The other problem is on a 50 mpg bike, if I start flashing at (what is it, 2 liters?) I still have a round-trip left in it.

I discovered the bike pushes very easily in neutral. :mrgreen:
If you're never that far from a station, I'd recommend topping it off when you get to the last notch even before it starts flashing. I would imagine, similar to a car, running near empty means less pressure (from the weight of fuel in the tank) heading into the pump, so it works a little harder. Keeping a gallon or so minimum in there at all times may be beneficial to your fuel pump as well as your ability to get home without pushing.

I've filled mine right after it starting flashing and it had over a gallon left based on what it took to fill. Mine had two warnings, 1st the last notch of the 5 notches representing the tank will flash, but at some point later, the little gas guage starts flashing too.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode