cell phones and abs - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

cell phones and abs

Coming home yesterday from visiting a friend in the VA hospital in Tuskeegee Al. Turned south on hwy 431 in Eufaula--got up to about 40 mph. I was in the right lane on the 4 lane when I see a big black Suburban crossing over from the other side of the 4 lane.
I keep my eye on him and remember thinking " he sees me because he's looking right at me and he's not going to pull across in front of me " and then thinking " CRAP!--he's on his cellphone ".
Yep--pulls his big ole butt right out in front of me. All I had time to do was grab a big handful or front brake and swerve to the right.--It was close but fortunately he finally did stop--right in the middle of both southbound lanes.
The abs on the 2012 Wee worked perfectly--modulated and kept the front from locking up and putting me on my butt. It did bark the front tire a couple of times but never locked up and skidded and I stayed in complete control. Without the abs it would have been ugly.
2 important things to remember here:

1-- the abs works very well

2--just because someone is looking right at you doesn't mean he or she won't pull on out and mess up your day

Oh yeah-almost forgot---if your driving your cage GET OFF THE PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I was in the passing lane on an interstate and the car I was passing pulled over into my lane. I was running about 70, he was on his cell phone. Fortunately, I was expecting this may happen and was able to slow and swerve left.

Most phones now have a GPS device. Manufacturers need to build the phones so they are disabled if moving faster than a few miles per hour.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Most phones now have a GPS device. Manufacturers need to build the phones so they are disabled if moving faster than a few miles per hour.
If they did that, passengers, people on public transit, etc. wouldn't be able to use their phones. Hackers would soon defeat it. At some point, old phones would become "illegal," forcing upgrades, phones would become incrementally more expensive.

We don't need more laws, IMO. We need to start spanking jack-holes and stop forgiving/ allowing stupidity.
Let's start here: getting (and keeping) a driver's license in the USA is a joke - it's more about the state collecting revenue than ensuring safe driving. Why is that? Why do we allow that to continue?

We'll allow a 17 y.o. with ADD, surging testosterone, and no experience - piloting a multi-ton rental truck - to "share" the road with me on and my m/c; but if my wife calls to tell me to pick up milk on the way home, THAT poses an unacceptable danger?

post #4 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

OP: Glad everything worked and you escaped unharmed!!

I'm betting the fact that you saw him and were expecting something played into the positive outcome!

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. My Wee is the first bike I've owned with ABS - it's good to hear that it wil save your bacon. I know there are many who feel it's actually dangerous on a bike.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Glad you're o.k.! I too have had a REAL close call, not cell phone related that time- and the ABS saved my A$$ Cheers--BB

2012 Wee
post #6 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Best recent recent quote seen floating around FB. "Turn your cell phone off and concentrate on being a shitty driver".

I recently had someone pull out in front of me at a T intersection. I was coming down the road, vehicle was stopped at the T, (speed limit was 30mph) they pulled right in front of me to go left (opposite direction from me. I don't believe abs was activated. Some people are simply bad drivers. This person's head was turned in my direction as they pulled in front of me. I wasn't going fast enough for her to have not seen me, she just... I don't know what the hell she was thinking.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"[/FONT]
post #7 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
OP: Glad everything worked and you escaped unharmed!!

I'm betting the fact that you saw him and were expecting something played into the positive outcome!

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. My Wee is the first bike I've owned with ABS - it's good to hear that it wil save your bacon. I know there are many who feel it's actually dangerous on a bike.
Having recently completed a motorcycle safety class, it confirmed some of my riding habits. One is like the original poster's behavior - always be aware of traffic, other drivers and road conditions, give yourself a safety margin (time/space to react), SEE - Search, Evaluate, Execute.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"[/FONT]
post #8 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Glad you made it out of there without incident. ABS is great in a panic situation, especially when wet. Just be careful, I don't know if you were braking while swerving or leaned over but remember ABS is not magic it works better straight up.

Kevin

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
post #9 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Glad you're ok and lived to ride another day. From another thread in General Discussion forum:
post #10 of 20 Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Had a similar situation happen 32 years ago while I was on my KZ1000 ( complete with color matched Vetter frame mount fairing and side bags--and 8 track tape player in the dash ). Front end locked up and it was all over with.
Picked gravel out of my back for a couple of weeks. I think all the hide grew back about 2-3 months later. Busted a fullface Bell helmet wide open but saved me from any facial injuries.
Since then I've been pretty aware of vehicles in my space--or even close to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode