Crashed it... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Crashed it...

So I crashed my new 4000 mile old 2012 DL650.

I lowsided on the right side, slid for maybe 25 feet, and was stopped when a car sort of parked up on my wheel. Lost the right turn signal, bent the bar-end weight, and bent the brake lever. The right foot peg broke off entirely, and there are some other scratches. The muffler is dented from where the muffler guards' screws hit it. The fairings are all fine since I have the Givi crash bars.

My front fender is broken, and the wheel and right side fork are a bit scratched up. Furthermore, the forks don't look quite right (one of them is probably bent), and the brake calipers were detached on both front disks. The disk on the right side is probably bent also. That is the extent of the damage, as far as I could tell.

Took it to the shop, and they quoted me $7000+ worth of damaged parts, which is a total. They want to replace pretty much every imaginable part, though a lot of that stuff is barely even scratched.

So anyway... I'm thinking I'm probably gonna try to fix it myself. I'm not gonna give up on it that easily.

I can get the parts cheaper, the labor is free, and hopefully I won't actually need to replace nearly so many parts. The only downside is that I don't really know what I'm doing.

I've installed some parts myself, and have been doing a lot of research here, and I understand that this is a big undertaking. So any words of encouragement or advice would be appreciated. Or if you just want to tell me I'm an idiot, that's cool too. I'm still gonna go for it though.

Once I get it back from the shop hopefully I'll be able to take some pictures.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dagger10k/dl650][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-us/134718.png[/IMG][/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 AM
$tromtrooper

You didn't mention any damage to YOUR parts, so I'll assume you're OK, which is all that matters. Other smarter people will chime in on your repair options.

Mike
post #3 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Bad news. You didn't mention insurance? I'm no expert, but I would have the whole bike chassis checked that it's straight before fixing the cosmetic things. If it's bent, it may not be worth fixing cost wise. Try KC Engineering on Harrison. They can usually straighten frames and forks. I used to get my tires there when I lived in SF.

Good luck

post #4 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yeah, I'm all fine. I was wearing full leathers and there isn't a scratch on me, luckily.

I should clarify: I have good insurance coverage, but the current estimate has the bike as totaled, mostly due to the excessive number of full retail parts they have listed. I've asked for a revised estimate to account for no cosmetic repair, but still, I'm not sure I'd be able to get insurance to pay for a partial repair, especially when the bank still owns most of the bike.

So really, if I could find a shop around here that will actually figure out exactly which parts are broken, and fix them (bending fork tubes, wheels, etc back rather than replacing them), rather than just buying a whole bunch of brand new stuff that probably doesn't even need replacing, that would be perfect.

However, I have a feeling that is probably too much to ask, so I figured I'll probably have to do it myself. Nothing on the front end is badly out of alignment. I can still turn the forks lock to lock, the wheel still turns (maybe a little roughly).

I plan to get the stuff apart, figure out which parts are actually damaged, and send them to places that repair them (like Motorcycle Rim repair,Motorcycle Wheel repair,truing,rim straightening,Wheel Repair and Wheel Straightening for Motorcycles,Most accurate repair in the world).

In theory I could get the bike working again for close small fraction of what the shop estimated.

I'm sure it'll be a lot harder than I think it will be, but it seems like it's worth a shot.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dagger10k/dl650][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-us/134718.png[/IMG][/URL]
post #5 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 06:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you have insurance and they are prepared to pay out on a totalled bike why are you even thinking of repairing it

If you have damaged wheels/brake discs/forks/fender/muffler then it wasn't such a light hit after all.

You don't know what other damage has been done elsewhere that won't show up yet, wheel bearings/swing arm bearings/steering head bearings/bent pins-bushes-shafts/cracked frame welds.

Your life is worth more than risking a cheap repair on the bike.

Let it go and take the new one.

Ock. in Oz

I ride naked and unafraid.

Windsor (near enough)
NSW
Australia
post #6 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

$7000 worth of damage, you may opt to just put in a claim. Your insurance will go up, but not for another year and not to the extent of the damage.
post #7 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just let them total the bike and get another one.

By the sounds of it the crash was pretty bad for the bike. You could have a bent / cracked frame or swingarm and you wouldn't know. If the bike ran on it's side for long then you could also have some undiagnosed engine damaged.
post #8 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Why do you even pay for insurance, if you're not going to take advantage of it's BEST feature?

Not sure what is motivating you to refuse a replacement strom? The crashed one will always have some funk to it, and you'll always wonder if perhaps maybe one of the welds under the steering head has developed a tiny crack due to the crash, or your rear rim was also damaged internally with a spiral fracture around the bearing cage, only to visit again later at the most inopportune time......

Seems like your bike had quite a tumble. Conducting a forensic evaluation of your crashed new-strom, and departing on an adventure of replacing all the big and tiny parts - and all those parts that you'll only discover needing later replacement, will eat up A LOT of your time. Time better spent riding!

Do yourself a favor and don't be a moto-martyr. Your bike is toast.

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."

Last edited by jokermtb; 08-31-2012 at 08:21 AM.
post #9 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger10k View Post

...My front fender is broken, and the wheel and right side fork are a bit scratched up. Furthermore, the forks don't look quite right (one of them is probably bent), and the brake calipers were detached on both front disks. The disk on the right side is probably bent also. That is the extent of the damage, as far as I could tell.

Took it to the shop, and they quoted me $7000+ worth of damaged parts, which is a total...

I'm thinking I'm probably gonna try to fix it myself. ... The only downside is that I don't really know what I'm doing.

...any words of encouragement or advice would be appreciated. Or if you just want to tell me I'm an idiot, that's cool too. I'm still gonna go for it though.
I didn't think I could add any more to what ockerstrom said, but if you're dead set on doing this come hell or high water...

The only reason I can think of for you wanting to do it this is that you figure as long as the bike is totaled and the $$$ you're getting back isn't close to the cost of buying another new Glee and farkling it up as before, that you may as well take the $7K and sink it into parts and your own free labor. It sounds like you essentially disagree that the bike is "really" totaled (would be unsafe to ride if fixed), just that the repair is not covered to the amount you need it to be.

If this is the case - that you think the shop is overestimating the cost of repair to drive up the bill (padding on cost and labor for lots of lightly damaged cosmetic parts) - let them know that $7K is a total under your insurance claim, in which case they WON'T get the repair job. Tell them you want ONLY the safety-relevant damaged repaired -brakes, swingarm, forks, etc. Try really hard to determine if the bike is essentially fixable, and fixable by licensed professionals whose work is under warranty and insurance coverage, before considering a DIY salvage job.

If it's still a bill that comes to a totaling, ask them for a detailed list of problems, look them over and think HARD before attempting a repair yourself. Some things are not repairable, like cracks in the frame itself; others are potentially difficult to assess "deep problems" that won't show up for some months or years and then suddenly some key part of the bike craps out on you, maybe while riding it. And you won't be covered by insurance or warranty in that situation, never mind the added risk of riding around on a totaled bike patched up with a first-time amateur's fixit job (even if that is yourself, and you take full responsibility for whatever happens).

Finally if you do end up welding frame, straightening forks, replacing ABS brakes, etc., that you've never done before, don't make this your everyday rider. Make it a project/learner bike where you can say "see, this is what I figured out".

Last edited by robardin; 08-31-2012 at 08:33 AM.
post #10 of 35 Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger10k View Post

Took it to the shop, and they quoted me $7000+ worth of damaged parts, which is a total. They want to replace pretty much every imaginable part, though a lot of that stuff is barely even scratched.

So anyway... I'm thinking I'm probably gonna try to fix it myself. I'm not gonna give up on it that easily.
I had a similar experience with my Triumph Rocket last year, although I was rear-ended at a red light. Went down on the right side. The damage appeared to me mostly cosmetic and things were replaced almost to the retail value of the bike. I had a dealer do all the work and it looked great when I got it back. It never was right mechanically again, even though there was no obvious damage (it was shaft drive and that is where most of the trouble was). I put another $1200 into it out of pocket and it still needed work. I gave up on it and got rid of it, wish I had tried to talk the insurance company into just totaling it. So even with a Triumph shop working on it, it was never the same again and presumably they did know what they were doing. Guess I'm just trying to say that damage isn't always apparent.

Good luck though with whatever you decide to do!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2012 Suzuki DL650 VStrom Adventure ABS
2008 Suzuki DR-Z125
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic (R.I.P.)
2005 Harley-Davidson VRCSA
2000 Yamaha TTR 250
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter 1500
1998 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDL
1993 Harley-Davidson Sportster XLH 883
1986 Husqvarna WR 400
1980 Honda GL 500
1974 Honda CB 200
1972 Honda CB 450
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode