popping sound - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

popping sound

Ok, I tried the search and cant find it. I'm sure its been covered. Here goes. Usually first thing in the morning going from the garage to the road, when stopping at the road I hear a popping sound. I think its the brakes, maybe the forks. Seems to only do this once. I'm not to concerned about it but Id kinda like to know what it is so I can quit being concerned about it. Suggestions? By the way, first Strom and I'm diggin it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Just because you didn't plan your day, doesn't mean I'm going to rush mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeyride View Post
Ok, I tried the search and cant find it. I'm sure its been covered. Here goes. Usually first thing in the morning going from the garage to the road, when stopping at the road I hear a popping sound. I think its the brakes, maybe the forks. Seems to only do this once. I'm not to concerned about it but Id kinda like to know what it is so I can quit being concerned about it. Suggestions? By the way, first Strom and I'm diggin it.
ABS? Check to see it your abs light is on. You have to get going over 5mph for it to kick in, perhaps you don't achieve that by the end of the drive way.

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]
post #3 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I get weird noises coming from the front which worries me sometimes. I believe it is the ABS - to me it sounds like a rapid clicking sound and is heard just after moving off after startup.

It sounds similar to a stick getting caught in the front wheel then clearing itself.

Most of the time it sounds like a little twig, sometimes a decent stick and on the odd occasion it carries on like I've got a whole damn branch caught in the spokes. The inconsistency worries me. Though if history repeats - if I report it to the dealer he'll just tell me 'nah there's nothing wrong mate, you've probably failed to check the front tyre pressure that's all"

post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hmmm. Well I thought for sure someone would say yep its the knuter valve or something. I'm sure I'm going over 5mph and the abs light is off.
I'm sure the abs isn't activating, maybe resetting?

Although Ive never reefed on the brakes to know what the abs does.

It does kind of sound like a stick getting ejected from under the fender,[my drive is blacktop] but to me higher up. Sort of like springing the plastic dash with your finger and letting it go.

Ive never noticed it at higher speeds, maybe I'm just moving to fast to hear it and my visor is down. Occasionally Ive heard it in town while dinking around light to light.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Just because you didn't plan your day, doesn't mean I'm going to rush mine.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

This happens to me too. Only once when I use my breaks the first time after starting my bike in the morning. My 2011 Nissan Altima does something similar where it has a quick buzz noise/ feeling in the brake pedal. I know that is a horrible comparison, but this noise is documented for the Altima where the ABS is doing a quick check only after a cold start. I have a feeling this noise is the same concept.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the replies. I'll just ignore it. I was more curious as to what it was than concerned. Sort of like a squealing fan belt, as long as you know what it is, no big deal.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

The ABS on my 1100RT beemer was noisy when cycling after a start. You get used to some noises after a while.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Rock getting ejected from the front tire treads and playing pinball under the front fender?

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode