2012 'penny' seat mod - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 'penny' seat mod

Found another gel keyboard wrist rest lying around at work today. (Cover was torn, just sitting there in the trash waiting for death ... ).

Strip it down so I only have the gel, cut it in half. Pull the staples out of the seat to about half way back, peel up the cover, peel up the foam, insert the two gel strips between foam and seat pan, button back down.

Ahhhh - perfect. Because the seat shape has changed this works even better than it did on my K6 - flattens the seat out beautifully. Seat lifts about 1/2", but is now "many hours comfortable" - did an hour ride tonight deliberately not moving around on the seat - zero problems. The L2 seat is O.K. - much better than my K6 seat was stock but I normally do have to move around every five minutes or so to avoid 'numb butt'.

If you can't find an old keyboard wrist rest to put out of it's misery, you can buy gel seat pads on ebay (kno place) , these are supposed to go on top but if you slip it under the foam it's a really simple job - you'd only need the small one, cut it in half lengthways and position it so it's as near the edges of the seat base as you can get it. Plus there are no problems with the gel heating up sitting in hot sun if it's under the stock foam.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

great idea, I'm guessing you lay the gel laterally, sideways along the edge of the seat ? does that leave a channel in the middle, or fill the entire area under the foam?
post #3 of 21 Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Good idea. This is great for many of us who work in offices where these are readily available. Any pictures of the process or the seat after the install?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 WeeStrom
1994 DR650

post #4 of 21 Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs up

These are the mods I like, cheap! Just some labor involved.

I just use a black toilet floor mat on my seat, around $10 bucks.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #5 of 21 Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

No pics of the job in progress sorry, I needed three hands to hold the seat and use the stapler as it was.

I can take a pic of the finished seat, but unless you saw it side by side with the stocker you'd never pick it anyway - maybe notice it looks a bit flatter is all. That's the really nice thing about this mod - the seat maybe looks a bit taller and flatter and feels a bit firmer when you first sit on it, but there are no major appearance changes.

I cut the gel in half, so two half length pieces each about the length of the seating area, they go in lengthwise, just inside the lumps of foam that 'lock' the foam to the seat base. Front of the slabs was just on the holes for the front seat bumpers.

So yes, there's a soft spot in the middle which helps with the comfort - but that's not noticeable unless you push down on the seat with your hand - or you get real excited about your motorcycling I guess . There's also a slight soft spot if I sit waaay back as the gel ends just before the rise to the pillion seat starts - which works anyway as that's where my tailbone is.

Pete
post #6 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for clarifying that, sounds like something I'll be looking to do. I put 3200 miles on the stock seat in a week last month, and it was OK, not as good as the suzuki gel seat I had on the old dl1000, but not bad enough for me to spend hundreds of $$ on a aftermarket seat. This may be all I need.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

I peeled back the seat cover yesterday and installed an old gel wrist rest I found lying around. The hardest thing about this was stapling the cover back on. I have both an electric stapler and Stanley hand stapler, using 1/4 inch staples, they have a tendancy to 'bounce" and not go in all the way into the plastic seat pan. The best luck I had was to push hard on the seat pan where I wanted to staple, right against the workbench, and with as much pressure as I could put against the electric stapler, they worked fairly well. I haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, but hope to go for a ride this afternoon to check it out. Sitting on it, I think I'll be happy with it, firmer, wider, and taller is all good for me. Thanks for the idea, inexpensive, and I can go back to original if I don't like it.
Byron

post #8 of 21 Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the pics, and thanks to the original poster. Looks like a great idea, recycling and improving the comfort level of the seat for an investment of time and some staples.

Please let us know how it rides! Thanks again...

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"[/FONT]
post #9 of 21 Old 09-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronw View Post
The hardest thing about this was stapling the cover back on. I have both an electric stapler and Stanley hand stapler, using 1/4 inch staples, they have a tendancy to 'bounce" and not go in all the way into the plastic seat pan. The best luck I had was to push hard on the seat pan where I wanted to staple, right against the workbench, and with as much pressure as I could put against the electric stapler, they worked fairly well.
So Byron, will hand stapler not work or did you just find in the end the electric stapler worked better? Also, IIRC, aren't stock staples larger than 1/4"? Just wondering if the standard hand stapler is heavy duty enough.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Great mod.....but wouldnt the gap between them cause a bit of a funny feeling on the buttocks?:mrgreen:

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode