2012 Corbin Seat - MINI REVIEW - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 Corbin Seat - MINI REVIEW

We have seen several inputs and comments of this seat, being from ‘very hard’, pain to install, and poor customer service on Corbins end. I am going to share my experiences with this seat and my dealings with Corbin.

Order Placement – Dealing with Corbin

I placed the order August 7th and explained that I wanted to know a time frame as if it was going to take 6-8 weeks including delivery, I will wait until the winter to place the order. The salesman said that he will check with the plant, and with the courier to confirm production date and shipping. He said that he will get the information and call me back within the hour. He never called back that night so I thought ‘ Damn, looks like there are issues ’. I received a call the next day and first he apologised profusely but explained that the shop was tied up and he couldn’t get back to me that night. He told me that the they will try to get it done by the end of August and have it delivered within the first week of September. I thought, that is not too bad, I will still get 6-8 weeks of riding in before I store it. I waited two days and did not get an email confirmation so I called Corbin to see if my order got processed ok. I was immediately connected to JESSICA. She explained that they did send me an email and it probably got filtered, and that my order was underway. I told her how happy I was as in Canada, we do not get as much riding in as I want some riding with it before it goes into storage. She says ‘Oh, you’re from Canada’, ‘let me see if I can put a rush on that!’. FOUR DAYS LATER IT WAS BUILT AND SHIPPED! Jessica has made feel assured and had my order immediately processed. I do not think that customer service can get any better!

Installation and fit

First off, I ordered the heated version, so it was not just a slip it on install. The wiring was simple and easy to hook up. The seat hooks up to a connector, which can be removed when removing the seat. The connector was easy to hook up, the negative was hooked up to the negative battery terminal and the positive was inserted into the fuse box, in the turn signal fuse. The fuse was first removed and then inserted into the connector for functionality. The connector end was then connected to the seat connector and the seat was then inserted into the bike. It might be added that the prongs from the seat HAS to be oiled, otherwise it is difficult for first time installation. After that the seat fit perfect and there was absolutely no movement from the seat. It was rock solid on the bike.

First ride and riding comfort

When first sitting on the Corbin, you think ‘Oh MY GOD!!’ the seat is hard and it is very ’flat’ feeling. Flat meaning that there is more real estate for your tush. At first, I thought ‘I don’t know about this’. I jumped on the bike and immediately did a 100 KM ride. To my surprise, there was actually no stiffness or aches in my butt at all, and it actually felt quite comfortable. This, I believe, is mostly because of the wideness and styling of the seat. The only thing that does take a bit to get used to is that the seat changes your posture on the bike. This is not uncomfortable, just ‘different’, and is supposed to improve fatigue reduction.

To ‘heat’ or not to ‘heat’

This is just to stress the importance of a heated seat while driving in cold weather. There was a statement made in a previous post regarding seats how a heated seat does nothing for warmth as it cannot stop the cold air blowing against you. That is partially true. The purpose for a heated seat is NOT for overall warmth, but to maintain your present body temperature. Having suffered from hypothermia years ago while riding in the cold, I am lucky to be alive. Hypothermia is when your body temperature is lowered due to cold and this causes you to be disorientated and then pass out. While riding, this is usually undetected as the cold air, and not being properly geared, will cause your body to chill and eventually hypothermia will kick in. With a heated seat, and the philosophy of heat rising will keep your body temperature stable and will help prevent hypothermia. For me, living in Canada, it is a wise investment.

Here are some pics of my seat:

After Install

Heater switch is easily located on left side

End result – Lookin Good!!!!

Last edited by abb1; 08-24-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks good--keep us informed after you get a few more miles. I'd like a seat that let you slide back a little further than the stock seat. Thanks for the mini review.
post #3 of 33 Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

A great looking seat!
If you don't mind me asking what size, inseam are you. I am 6 ft, 175 pds with a 32 inch inseam. I am quite happy with stock seat but after 4 hours or so do wish for something better. My wife as pillion is ok for up to 2 hours. Have you had a passenger with the new seat. Comments vs stock if any for pillion?

Ken

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)

post #4 of 33 Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I am 5'8", 175 lbs with a 30" inseam. I have not had a passenger on it yet, so I don't know, however, there is more padding than the stock, so it must be more comfortable.
post #5 of 33 Old 08-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Question

What is it's weight?

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
post #6 of 33 Old 08-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Corbin

That looks like a nice seat Abb1, thanks for the review with photos. What is the tab/flap looking thing in the middle (between rider & pillion)of the seat?

[COLOR="Orange"]'12 vStrom650[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]'04 KLR650[/COLOR]
post #7 of 33 Old 08-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromAlaska View Post
That looks like a nice seat Abb1, thanks for the review with photos. What is the tab/flap looking thing in the middle (between rider & pillion)of the seat?
It accepts the optional back rest, which is excellent, btw.

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]
post #8 of 33 Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abb1 View Post
I am 5'8", 175 lbs with a 30" inseam. I have not had a passenger on it yet, so I don't know, however, there is more padding than the stock, so it must be more comfortable.
Thanks for the info, let us know what pillion thinks when you do have one on board ESP for a longer trip.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)
post #9 of 33 Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots View Post
What is it's weight?
The weight is 9.2 KG compared to 4.9 KG for the stock. I know that because those were the shipping weights
post #10 of 33 Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Great review. I too am interested in hearing a passengers opinion on this seat vs the stock seat. My wife has refused to go anywhere over 100 miles with me on this bike as she says the seat is not comfortable. I am willing to spend almost any amount that she will allow in order to have her willingly come with me as I love to travel with her when we get the chance. I was thinking about a Russell Day Long since comfort is all but guaranteed but I would be looking at leather, and having both seats modded plus I would like to keep my factory seat which means buying another one to send to Russell. All of this makes it a pretty expensive option. For the same money I can get a Corbin with a back rest (and maybe even heat) and keep my stock seat. Let us know when you get a chance to ride it two up. Great looking seat, BTW! Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode