I can't think of anything the old model is better at. Not big differences but the new is better than the old in several ways.
Top ten reasons to buy the new vs. the old
1. The 2012 is better looking, my opinion true, but I think the majority agrees.
2. Better suspension, firmer front spring rate, more travel on the rear.
3. One of the first things I noticed easier shifting, and quieter shifting, especially going into 1st from neutral ( no clunk sound) I have yet to miss a shift in 4 months or 4K miles. On the old I would miss 5th to 6th at least once a month.
4. No front end clunk
5. clutch feels better
6. quieter engine when in neutral and clutch out, old model sounds like marbles rattling around in a can
7. More low and mid-range power. I can cruise around at 3K-4K now and not feel like I am lugging the engine, older model below 5K and it felt like I was lugging it
8. About 5 mpg better for me YMMV!
9. Feels even more flickable, yeah suck-it VEE owners!
10. Some say better brakes, I can't tell much difference here
That's just off the top of my head.
L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!