That's It... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

That's It...

Well it happened again yesterday. It’s happened at least a dozen times since I’ve had the bike. It could be a family friend or a stranger at the hardware store. It goes something like this: “Nice looking bike!” “Thanks, I like it a lot.” “How big is it?” “It’s pretty big, look at it.” (A little bit of smart-ass here because by now I know where this is headed). “No, I mean how many CCs??” “Oh, the engine? It’s a 650.” “Oh…..hmm…that’s it, huh?”

At this point it should be clear to me that the offending individual knows little to nothing about motorcycles. And I know the comments shouldn’t bother me but for some reason this still rubs me wrong. Early on I would respond by trying to “justify” the bike by describing some of its many positive aspects. I even have fallen to the level of trying to tell people how “fast” it is. Well I haven’t met too many motorcycles that aren’t “fast” – at least with respect to cars. Now, having been beaten down over the last couple of months, I usually just grudgingly agree…..”Yup, that’s it.”

I can only guess that this mentality was born of the displacement wars of the 70’s and 80’s. And it has clearly stuck. I think from now on when someone asks about the V’s engine displacement I’m going to tell them it’s a 1900 and see what happens. That should out-do most current production bikes, right? If they bite on that I’ll continue with how it’s essentially the same design as my 1975 Open Manta, fuel injected and all. I’m just going to keep it to myself that I’m actually a big woos driving a large frame mini-bike.

'07 DR650
'14 Indy 800SP
'14 DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Stick with the naked truth. I mean in the end their reaction, whether positive or not, means nothing.

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
post #3 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't sweat it; people say things when they have no basis for their comments. Even when they should know better, they still say stupid stuff. E.g.: a guy I used to ride with could never figure out why his 1690cc Harley couldn't keep up with my "little" 1000cc Suzuki motor.

Go hakafugu yourself.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

650 Turbo,,,,,,don't get in the way, I might not be able to slow it down,,,,,:mrgreen:

2017 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX
2012 V Strom 650 Fox orange
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300, old mans crotch rocket
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV green
N1ATF
Spot 3
post #5 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdick View Post
650 Turbo,,,,,,don't get in the way, I might not be able to slow it down,,,,,:mrgreen:
Hah, I am going to answer people's question about my motor with that from now on
post #6 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

sometimes when i'm asked how fast mine is, i reply,"closed casket". usually shuts them up.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM
$tromtrooper

Hmmm

I just say it has plenty of snort for an old guy!

Mike B
post #8 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's a 650' It's pushin' about 70hp.

That's enough to make them think, " Well, that's gotta be good. Why else would he have told me hp?"

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
• Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
• Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
• Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]
post #9 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well, I'm picking up my little bitty fox orange 650 tomorrow. This will be my fourth V-Strom (03 1000, 04 650 and 07 650ABS). I gave the 1000 to one son and the 04 to the other son after putting significant miles on them. Now this one goes in the stable with a big ol FJR1300 and Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, but the Glee should be right at home. I could care less what anyone thinks unless they know something about bikes. If they do, they know the DL650s are like swiss army knives, Rolex watches etc.

JDP
post #10 of 24 Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Get the wife's hair dryer and remove the "650" stickers.

Then tell them the engine size is classified as it is a race test engine.

Tell them it can outrun a Porche with ease.

That should shut them up.

Or just say "fast enough to die in 3.7 seconds".

Best of all, just ignore what they say and enjoy the fact that you have a bike that is more reliable and more fun than most other bikes on the market at the moment.

Hell, my Wee is as quick as my previous BMW R1150GS and it wasn't slow by most standards.

Ock. in Oz

I ride naked and unafraid.

Windsor (near enough)
NSW
Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode