Impressions on ABS, lean angle, and LD comfort - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Impressions on ABS, lean angle, and LD comfort

Friday i took the Military Sportbike Rider Course on my 2012 adventure (with all bags), and saturday did a 410 mile ride with a few stops here and there. Just wanted to put forth my impressions.

ABS - never had a bike with abs before, so i didn't know what to expect. But on the emergency quickstop portion of the course, the rear abs kicked in often. I haven't had a light bike in a very long time (previous bike was a victory vision) so i wasn't prepared on how much weight actually got shifted to that front tire. But it didn't freak me out at all. Just felt a clicking in the foot and thought, "oh. I guess that's what abs feels like". The bike stopped VERY quickly and the brakes, while having a lot of travel in the lever, seemed really strong. That front definitely has some stopping power.

At some point i figured, "hey, i'm in a parking lot without cars around. Lets test an all ABS stop". So i accelerated to 25ish, and just grabbed and stomped with reckless abandon. Bike stopped, felt clicking. The front tire was a little more noticeable as it did actually skid for a slight moment, but i didn't die, the bike stopped, and now i know what'll happen in a freeze up panic stop.

lean angle - certainly more than enough for me to have fun! I have richland ricks peg lowering kit and his kickstand pad on the bike. The pad will scrape before the footpeg (just before it) on left hand turns. But in the course,i felt very comfortable shifting the weight off the seat, leaning forward and in, and taking sharp turns. Certainly is fun! I was able to outlean and push faster than any of the other riders. Not that the BIKE leans farther, i just had more confidence in my bike than they did riding theirs. I can definitely see this bike passing up sportbikes in tight twisties.

LD Comfort - sucks. Man, that seat just does NOT agree with me. After about an hour and a half my butt is screaming and i have to stand on the pegs for a minute to get some relief. I went to alaskan sheepskin website, and they are offering some sort of small "trial" sheepskin pad. It's small, universal size, cheap, but should work. So i ordered one. If this solves the comfort issue, i'll pass it along on this website and buy fullsize sheepskin covers. Just want to find a way to as permanently as possible mount it to the seat so i can worry less about someone stealing it off the bike if i park somewhere.

Just my impressions. Had it 30 days, couldn't ride it for a week, and just hit 2000 miles. I'm going for 1500-2000 miles a month on this one. It's just too easy to ride. No finicky issues, maneuverable, good ergos, great storage. I haven't driven my truck in weeks. Only when i need to pick up drycleaning every few weeks (i drop it off on the bike though!)

Great bike, and i look forward to putting more miles on it and trying out some unimproved roads, fireroads, and seeing if i will like offroading.

Alexi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for sharing this; good info!
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think you'll enjoy the Alaska sheepskin, I had one when I had the stock seat on my 08 (saved my but) but later ordered a russell seat and now if I use a sheepskin pad I sit up too high but the seat is so compfy anyway I'm good!

Everyones normal till you get to know them:mod_lol:

2008 Yellow Wee with too many farkles!

post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

I found myself squirming all over in the seat and very uncomfortable after a couple hours. I got the seat cover called a beadrider and now I can ride all day. It is like having AC for your butt and somehow makes everything better. I got the ceramic one so I leave it on rain or hot sun beating down. Only time I take it off is for forest roads because of the added seat height.

Only downsides are that I am short and it raises the seat height a little, and it looks kinda funny having a beaded seat on my bike. Still worth it though after 5k miles of using it, the 2k miles without it were not as fun. The Alaska buttpad might do the same thing, I just chose the beads because I was worried about rain for both daily commutes and long rides.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Brakes--why do cruiser riders think that the front brake is dangerous? Especially on a low, long, heavy cruiser (usually with a meager front brake), there is no way to get thrown over the bars. Skidding the rear into a lowside slide then saving face saying, "I had to lay 'er down," is too common.

Lean Angle---many riders have no idea that humans are instinctively programed to avoid lean angles greater than what we develop when we make when we run and make a sharp turn, about 20. I think this is one cause for some motorcycle crashes when the rider just drives off the curve. It takes self-training to lean the bike more, especially for the rider to lean themselves down toward the pavement to keep the bike more upright for more clearance.

Suzuki seat designer must have really weird butts. Start budgeting for a good aftermarket seat. There are a couple of DIY foam and cover kits that get good reports. Don't spend a lot on something to go on top of the stock seat unless you can borrow one and try it for a full day.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Network Monkey View Post
I found myself squirming all over in the seat and very uncomfortable after a couple hours. I got the seat cover called a beadrider and now I can ride all day. It is like having AC for your butt and somehow makes everything better. I got the ceramic one so I leave it on rain or hot sun beating down. Only time I take it off is for forest roads because of the added seat height.
I'm short too so I thought maybe the sheepskin would compress more? I do plan on going to walmart and buying a beaded seat for a car and just cutting and shaping it to the seat to give that a shot too. Wouldn't hurt. I've just heard more about sheepskins than I have about beads, so I figured I'd try that one out first. And for 40 dollars plus shipping, I think it's not too bad to try out. Hope to come back here and have a solution that doesn't necessitate me buying a $400 seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRider View Post
Lean Angle---many riders have no idea that humans are instinctively programed to avoid lean angles greater than what we develop when we make when we run and make a sharp turn, about 20. I think this is one cause for some motorcycle crashes when the rider just drives off the curve. It takes self-training to lean the bike more, especially for the rider to lean themselves down toward the pavement to keep the bike more upright for more clearance.
I think that's why I leaned more than the other riders. Certainly not the bikes limits, it was the riders limits. But they really should have pushed their limits in the closed course environment. No better time to LEARN your bike.
Quote:
Suzuki seat designer must have really weird butts. Start budgeting for a good aftermarket seat....Don't spend a lot on something to go on top of the stock seat unless you can borrow one and try it for a full day.
Already started the budgeting. Just gotta find some folks around that HAVE aftermarket seats so I can try them. Right now, my money is going into a "rick mayer" fund as I had a custom seat on a previous bike that, while I'm not positive, looked a whole hell of a lot like a rick mayer seat and that seat was VERY comfy.

Alexi
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Smile

Over 5 years of riding my 07 DL1000 different seats,sheep skin, corbin, modified corbin, gel seat etc, nothing worked as well for me as simply this and it might work for you.

I took the stock seat and skinned back the covering. With a bread knife I sliced down and across so that I have a mostly FLAT surface to sit on. I went to a high end fabric/foam store and purchased a 12X12 inch 23/25 lb foam and placed as far forward as possible on the seat and placed back the cover. Now I am doing better than before. Only wish I could make the seater 2-3 inches WIDER.. other than that I am good !

Riding since 1973

If Evolution is outlawed... Only outlaws will Evolve.

* 2012 V I C T O R Y Cross Country Tour
2007 1000 " VroomHilda"
2007 Moto Guzzi 1200 Norge - La Dolce Vita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode