Givi Skid Plate vs SW-Motech - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Givi Skid Plate vs SW-Motech

I just received and installed the new Givi skid plate (oil carter). Without getting myself into trouble, let's just say it stayed on the bike about five minutes. I know this is not the market section, but it will be posted there very soon at a good deal. If you like making things out of beer cans, you might like this product. Can someone who has the SW-Motech skid plate reply with your thoughts on it. I basically want to know if it is well constructed. I probably will never be riding over any trees or anything, but really like to keep the oil filter protected somewhat. On my pre 2012 V Strom, I had a SW-Motech skid plate and it was excellent. I guess I need some reassurance before pulling out the credit card and placing an order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Question

Interesting lead-in to a sale.

I'll bite: Was metal quality the issue? Poor mounting arrangement? Something else?

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
post #3 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Umm sounds like improper install.... I have the sw plate. I doubt its a tree hopper but i have climbed a few curbs hitting it with no issues...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

'07 Yamaha Vstar 650 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR600RR (sold)
'12 WEEEEEEEstrom :biggrinjester:
'13 Yamaha FZ8

post #4 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The aluminum is very thin. It is bolted together with little bolts, which is no problem at all. However, the seam where the three pieces bolt together is very uneven. Just looks like it was slapped together is a hurry. Don't get me wrong, many riders will look at it and say nothing is wrong with it. I will admit I am very picky when it comes to my bike. If someone is going to bash it up on a fire trail, then it will be fine.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The install process is simple as pie. It bolts to the bike with no problems.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via AIM to DougInKY Send a message via Skype™ to DougInKY
I have the steel skid plate made by narcosis junky (he is on our preferred list). I have grounded several times (two of them were hard contact) since putting this skid plate on my bike and all that was needed afterwards was a little black paint to cover the scratches. Look into his product, it is well worth it and cost is no worse than what you are looking at.

------------------
2007 Wee-Strom (*SOLD*)
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
1980 Honda Express (my toy!)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

+1 sw motech, i have it on my 2012 now, the only thing is the oil drain hole isn't quite wide enough and when i drained my oil it went half into container and half into sw motech skid plate...doh.

~~~>Jay<~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

sw motech skid plate and oil change

on that note...any ideas how to fix that? should i shave out some more of the hole or just take off the skid plate for oil changes

~~~>Jay<~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS View Post
on that note...any ideas how to fix that? should i shave out some more of the hole or just take off the skid plate for oil changes
I'd do whatever's easier. But shaving the hole could give you an evenings entertainment if you get bored

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
post #10 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the SWM skidplate for the Vee. It is OK, I just don't like the way the front section hangs by a couple of small bolts from the coupler that holds the SWM crash bars together. My hwy pegs from Yan (Narcosis Junky) are mounted to the SWM skidplate. When I put my feet up, they make the skidplate feel flimsy. I am very tempted to buy either Yan's steel skidplate or a Scorpion aluminum skidplate from SV Racing.

07 DL1000, all farkled up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode