Engine ticking - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Engine ticking

If i put the bike in neutral and get off, kneel down and listen to the engine, I hear a ticking sound as it idles. Is this normal? Ever since I dropped it (on the crash bars), been looking for something wrong. I'm taking it in for 600 mile oil change next weekend, so may ask them to have a listen. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
If i put the bike in neutral and get off, kneel down and listen to the engine, I hear a ticking sound as it idles. Is this normal? Ever since I dropped it (on the crash bars), been looking for something wrong. I'm taking it in for 600 mile oil change next weekend, so may ask them to have a listen. Thanks!
Don't do that!

Noises are normal with the engine. If you keep obsessing about it you are sure to find a ton of previously unheard of nosies.

Just relax and ride it!

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Lol, you have a good point here. Thanks for the advice!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

After a few years of BM boxer ownership, the best bit of advice I can give, is always have your ear plugs in when the engine is running!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Don't ask the dealer, he will tell you there is something wrong even if there isn't.

Get another experienced strommer to listen to it to see if it really is a problem.

All motors make a range of "mechanical" noises to some extent, I wouldn't be worried about it at this point.

As mentioned, ear plugs.....and helmet on.....before you start the bike

Ock. in Oz

I ride naked and unafraid.

Windsor (near enough)
NSW
Australia
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockerstrom View Post
Don't ask the dealer, he will tell you there is something wrong even if there isn't. ...
I tried to trade my Vee at dealer X for a Glee. They took it back to the shop to check it out, dealership owner returns a few min laster saying, "there's a terrible noise coming from your engine!! It's probably going to need a complete re-build."

I laughed, said, "yeah, that's the chuddery clutch. They all do that."

He said he'd "never heard anything like that before, and he's been dealing Suzuki for a long time."

Went to dealer Z, who promptly offered a fair trade and sold me a Glee in about 30 seconds.

Punchline: when told my buddy the story, he laughed: he was the PO of the Vee and had tried to trade it at dealer X a few years prior.... so dealer X HAD heard that sound before... coming from the SAME BIKE. HE gave my buddy the same line of crap about how it would cost $1000 to fix before he could re-sell it.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
...dealership owner returns a few min laster saying, "there's a terrible noise coming from your engine!! It's probably going to need a complete re-build."

I laughed, said, "yeah, that's the chuddery clutch. They all do that."
That's ironic. As the clutch chudder issue became recognized by Strommers years ago, the all too often response from a dealer was "they all do that", not wanting or refusing to acknowledge something was wrong. Even well after Suzuki came out with the new clutch basket design and bikes were being retrofitted with it, DL1000 Strommers in many areas still couldn't get an acknowledgement from the dealer or Suzuki area service rep with the usual response being "they all do that". Now, years later, here's a dealer's saying it's a problem. Dollars to donuts he said "they all do that" years ago.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

If the ticking got louder after you dropped it, you may have dislodged the header pipes and the ticking noise is exhaust leaking from between the cylinder heads and engine pipe :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode