disabeling ABS on dirt - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

disabeling ABS on dirt

riding down some greasy clay tracks along the streslecky ranges the other day,it would have been handy to be able to switch off the ABS. in order to use the rear brake.
apart from removing the fuse,does anyone know of an after market switch kit
for the 1012 650 strom .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just put the rear brake on and leave it on and let the ABS juggle things that end ?. it'll give you about as much retardation as manual use without risk of the bike swapping ends. (BTDT).

Eastern Beaver has a kit.

Pete
post #3 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 abs

Thanks Pete ,on the hill in question I only had compression [engine] braking
the rear brake never engaged eventhough I was applying it with enthousiasm
picking up speed progressively.
this is the first bike i've owned with ABS in 25years of riding,I guess something to get used to on dirt,I think its magic on paved roads though .

post #4 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

The ubiquitous "ABS offroad" clip seems appropriate here...

I never understood arguments against ABS until I saw this.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Wow, that clip is crazy! I'm picking up a 2012 V-Strom this weekend and I wonder if the Eastern Beaver kit is as simple as it seems?

I took the 2 day BMW Off Road course on a R1200GSA and by the way I'm 54 (like the guy in the clip). I caan tell you because we used it and trained with it both way, you want to be able to dis-arm it for off-road!
post #6 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
Wow, that clip is crazy! I'm picking up a 2012 V-Strom this weekend and I wonder if the Eastern Beaver kit is as simple as it seems?
It does just what pulling the fuse does. Its switch has to be turned back on and the ignition switch cycled to get ABS back.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
The ubiquitous "ABS offroad" clip seems appropriate here...

I never understood arguments against ABS until I saw this.
People that quote that clip haven't taken the time to understand what they are looking at. As he starts you can see the front wheel is locked and it is pushing dirt in front of the wheel, that is why the bystanders start warning him that it is "bull dozing". The front wheel is locked as ABS doesn't kick in until you exceed 8kph on most bikes.

If he had continued holding the front brake on it would have stayed locked and he would have crashed. However he does as the bystanders say "let the front go". So he let off the brakes a little to let the front start rotating and decided to just ride it out.

I ride dirt a lot and the best thing to do if you approach a really steep decent which is more than your bike is going to like, do this;
* turn the bike off (no abs when it's off)
* put it in first gear and use the clutch as the rear brake, "clutch in" is no braking, "out" will lock the wheel.
* since the clutch is your rear brake, you can use both feet on the ground to stabilise yourself

If you do that you can go down some really steep horrible stuff quite easily.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Pneumatic, great post!

1. I never watched the BMW freefall vid close enough to see what was going on. I just assumed it was ABS not allowing a lock-up by not braking. I see his right foot is off when he starts moving... tho GS brakes are linked, too - maybe a factor.

2. My own (tame) experiences with ABS on loose stuff is that it does better than I think I would. The stress of feeling ABS kicking in on gravel is mitigated by how well it's worked for me.

3. The clutch idea is a great idea, and not something I would think of sitting at the top of a hill. With the engine off, won't I lose my power steering, too, tho? :biggrinjester:

One of my scariest moto memories is having gravity alone pull me down a long, STEEP city street with fresh gravel on a KLR with both wheels locked. I don't think I ever topped 5 mph, but it feels like 100 when you can NOT stop. I slid right thru 2 intersections... probably 100 yards or so... stopping only when I hit level ground at the bottom.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've done the steep downhill covered with greasy clay on the old DL and the new.

The old model just kept accelerating, the new (with ABS) slowed down - not exactly quickly , and I did have to keep hammering and releasing the front, but it did slow.

Practice somewhere 'not quite so steep', the new ABS works surprisingly well.

Pete
post #10 of 16 Old 08-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

i don't have a cutout switch and i ride quite a bit offroad, i've had some good experiences and some bad with the ABS, i like the idea of clutch breaking, i will try that next time, my plan is just to instal a simple switch in series with the main power line, basically do the same thing as pulling the fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode