Speedometer WAY OFF! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Speedometer WAY OFF!

My first thread/post since joing the site today. I have been reading and following all the past, present DL "vee & wee" strom owners and have learned a wealth of information. I was fortunate to have sold/traded 2 bikes this year, a 2004 black DL 650 with 30K miles and a 2004 Triumph Sprint ST with similar mileage. In late July 2011 I bought one of the first 2012 Triumph Street Triple R bikes and this past April I bought a 2012 Fox Orange DL 650. I love both bikes for different reasons. Just got back last week from a 1,000 mile run throught VT., NH., and ME., bike ran perfectly. My onlycomplaint, one I hear often on this site, is wind buffeting. My just over 2k miles and today after not riding for a week I have developed what I hope is a minor issue. Talk about speedo error, when taking off the speedo jumps up to 30, 40, 50 MPH when doing around 25 and it gets worse. At one point on the ride I was doing a speedo indicated 179 MPH, in reality probably around 80 tops. Even after shutting it down a few times and restarting it still reads ridiculously high, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 04:35 PM
BSK
Stromthusiast!

Garage
press and hold the meter button until you see 0000000
press it again and then push and hold the ADJUST on the cluster
this switches your speedo from KMH to MPH which should fix your problem

--

Stephan
DL650AL02 -> Barkbuster handguards, 12V outlet, Lee Whitehurst luggage racks, JCWhitney Topcase, 3M reflective tape, P3 lights, 52w LED fogs, forkbrace, Puig 5895h windshield... more to come!
Failures:
Chain and sprockets worn at 9100 miles, recommended to be replaced despite every 500 mile adjustment and lube =(
Entire wiring harness replaced at 9233miles by SEP after headlight failure
Rear shock busted at 9727miles
Bad burned oil smell since 9500miles found to be disconnected drain tube from airfilter housing
2nd chain done at 21.6k
post #3 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

what is the meter button?

post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Well that worked but the procedure is a little different then described. It is; set the "adjust button so the odometer is showing then hold "Adjust button" for 2 seconds and it switches from KPM to MPH or reverse. Thanks for the tip.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

LOL, I did the same thing! I was riding from the dealer and thought "this thing is waaay off, there's no way I'm going 55".

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"[/FONT]
post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

2012 DL650A

"Riding a motorcycle is very good for your health until it suddenly isn't. It's like having a poison pill in your bottle of Tylenol. You'll run into it one day, and the relief the others gave you probably wasn't worth it at all." K'ale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode