Dropped it - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Unhappy Dropped it

In my driveway trying to turn it around. Driveway is a bit slanted and it was just too heavy. Neighbors ran over to help me pick it up, embarrassing. Luckily the crash bars on the Adventure did their job and the bike ran just fine.

One question tho. The specs online say curb weight is 519 lbs. But the sticker on the side of my bike says GVWR of 915 lbs. Which one is right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
One question tho. The specs online say curb weight is 519 lbs. But the sticker on the side of my bike says GVWR of 915 lbs. Which one is right?
They are both correct. GVWR is load capacity of the bike plus everything you carry, including yourself. Curb weight is just the bike itself, loaded with fluids.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #3 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

GVWR is maximum weight the bike can be with you and gear,gas,battery. I don't know whether the bike is weighed dry or with fluids. You can carry almost 400 lbs of rider and gear.

2007 DL650

post #4 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
$tromtrooper

Now go and make sure you drop it on the other side for good measure. I think my first drop came a month after I bought it and it's been on its side three or four times now. GVWR is the total weight rating of you and all your gear/passenger.

09 Wee with stuff
09 DR 650
post #5 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyrider View Post
Now go and make sure you drop it on the other side for good measure.
Yeah, the Universe is currently out of balance. We've got storms out in the Atlantic, a war in the Middle East, and my nose itches abominably. And it's all because of YOU!

Just go push it over onto the other crash bar, that's a good lad...

Ben / 2012 DL-650A
--
Givi: AF3101 windshield, crash bars
Kuryakyn: 4141 GranTour Bag, 4171 Saddlebags, 4161 Cranker Tank Bag
RichlandRick: lowering kit, kickstand "shoe"
Stebel Nautilus horn/mount kit/wire harness
R&G swingarm spools
[URL="http://solarcapitalist.com/"]SAE power socket[/URL]
Handlebar GPS mount (RAM ball + Arkon case)
post #6 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Since I have dropped mine today also, I will hijack this thread to introduce myself

First, the drop...
Slow turn, the engine died and... well, everything lasted maybe 2 sec. My wife jumped off pretty quick but it was too late anyway...
Nevertheless, my mistake fortunately not too much damage
Bar end, hand guards and passenger's foot peg scratched a bit, and that's it

I have been lurking for quite a while on this forum and it was one of the reasons why I got my 2012 strom. It was around a month ago, used 7.3k km on the clock... not so bad, I think.
Currently I live in Brussels, Belgium... strange place, nobody gives a damn when you want to buy something from them

Anyway, hi everybody and thank you for all the information available here
post #7 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the answers folks and welcome szarley!
post #8 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Adventure Traveler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
Thanks for the answers folks...
Zanth,

Where in Missouri are you located? I'm about 40 miles south of Kansas City.

Joe

2012 DL650-ADV (Black), 2013 DL650-EXP (White), 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha TW200
IBA #55242, SS1000 x2, BB1500, SS2000, 50CC, National Parks Tour x5 w/ Silver & Gold, 4 Corners & Alaska, 48 plus one, Great Lakes.

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-ell-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.

Last edited by Kankujoe; 08-05-2012 at 11:58 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Drops happen, my first "drop" wasnt really a drop, wind storm and the neighbors shed came loose and smashed my bike down dragging it across the concrete about 40 feet. a black paint marker and 15 mins worth of effort and you would never know i've dropped it probably 10 times off road now, mud sucks.... i recently just crushed one of my Suzuki Trax ripoff box's. did you know they are made of steel and crush very easily?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Trax Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
Drops happen, my first "drop" wasnt really a drop, wind storm and the neighbors shed came loose and smashed my bike down dragging it across the concrete about 40 feet. a black paint marker and 15 mins worth of effort and you would never know i've dropped it probably 10 times off road now, mud sucks.... i recently just crushed one of my Suzuki Trax ripoff box's. did you know they are made of steel and crush very easily?
The Trax boxes are actually made of Aluminum and are reasonably easy to pop back into shape.
My boxes were on the floor of the garage and some-one who shall remain nameless, decided to take my bike off the center stand and let the bike fall on the Trax boxes.
The crashbar made a nice imprint in the top of one of the boxes. I removed the lid and used a soft mallet to reform the lid, it popped out pretty easily and other than a slight stretch mark it looks OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dropped , weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode