fork brace--LLOYD - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

fork brace--LLOYD

I've ordered my fork brace for my 2012 adv 650. it has not come in yet. i rode it a few hours yesterday and purposely hit pot holes, ruts, sand...whatever. i could not see a need for a forkbrace on my 12 model 650 adv. when it comes in and i get it installed, i'll try hard on another test and let you know my opinions. i did not find that old thread referenced by GRAYWOLF to answer any of my questions. Each bike is different and handles differently with installed equipment, gross vehicle weigh, winds and such.

2012 DL650
U.S. NAVY, RETIRED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Let me know how that goes. I do not have a fork brace, have never installed one on any bike because I never had any symptoms the brace is supposed to correct. I have a small vibration with my 12 that it is supposed to correct. If you feel no diference then I will either not buy a brace or offer to buy yours and give it a try
post #3 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

My fork brace made the most difference in freeway commuting, keeping a line when being passed by semis on the freeway and windy conditions. I now enjoy riding on the freeway. It seems to make little difference on surface streets, off-road or lower speed riding.

This is the first bike (out of six in 25 years riding, primarily dual-sports) in which I have used a fork brace. I bought it solely due to the recommendations here, and they did not steer me wrong.

2012 Suzuki DL650A
Three road, two mountain and one folding bicycle

post #4 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

The brace...

As another rider has stated I found the brace an improvement for freeway riding where wind turbulence was a factor. I found the Adventure to be a good handling machine stock but consider the $80 invested for the brace a worthwhile investment.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i did not find that old thread referenced by GRAYWOLF to answer any of my questions. Each bike is different and handles differently with installed equipment, gross vehicle weigh, winds and such.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...-need-one.html

I hope I copied the link correctly. It is a good thread/discussion (as is just about every one here). My original thread was closed due to there being "no need to continue this thread, especially since it is not a Glee specific question".

I'm a new guy here, certainly not trying to irritate one of the moderators, but my query was specific to the '12 DL650 since that is that bike I have. I am going to go try that tire-between-knee-flex-test that was suggested. It really is so very windy where I live that any reasonable improvement I can have I'll explore. I try to do my homework beforehand (spent 3 yrs. researching bikes before obtaining the DL650).

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"[/FONT]
post #6 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
The new 2012 strom still uses the same forks (internals are different - stiffer springs and slightly different damper rod holes), as well as the same aluminum frame (slightly longer swingarm) with different tab locations for mounting the new plastic.

Not sure why a fork brace would NOT be desirable, other than the new bike is way less sensitive to side gusts and truck washes (a problem that plagued the earlier versions), due to the new, lower profile plastic and smaller overall shape of the fairing/tank.....?

Try taking the new 2012 on a gravelly dirt road, and see if it still wanders and deflects like the pre-2012 versions all did....

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
post #7 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I've ordered my fork brace for my 2012 adv 650. it has not come in yet. i rode it a few hours yesterday and purposely hit pot holes, ruts, sand...whatever. i could not see a need for a forkbrace on my 12 model 650 adv. when it comes in and i get it installed, i'll try hard on another test and let you know my opinions.
And please do follow up with your observations, I'd like to know as well. I have the same bike and to my admittedly novice perception, I don't see any need for one. Of course, you never really know how much you needed new glasses until you get them.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"[/FONT]
post #8 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
The new 2012 strom still uses the same forks (internals are different - stiffer springs and slightly different damper rod holes), as well as the same aluminum frame (slightly longer swingarm) with different tab locations for mounting the new plastic.

Not sure why a fork brace would NOT be desirable, other than the new bike is way less sensitive to side gusts and truck washes (a problem that plagued the earlier versions), due to the new, lower profile plastic and smaller overall shape of the fairing/tank.....?

Try taking the new 2012 on a gravelly dirt road, and see if it still wanders and deflects like the pre-2012 versions all did....
what's gravel? will sand work? can't do mush for that. as for being passed by semi's...i've never experienced that before either. with all the rain we've got forecast in fla, who knows when i'll get to try again.

2012 DL650
U.S. NAVY, RETIRED
post #9 of 26 Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I give up. I was trying to keep fork brace threads down to a few. There are plenty out there and no, the Glee is no different from any other Strom in its reaction to adding one. Just for fun, see what happens with a search of "why fork brace" in the above Google custom search box. I'll even do it and provide a link. why fork brace - Google Search

Go out to you braceless bike, put your feet on both sides of the front tire and wiggle the handlebars. Watch the front of the fender/mudguard wander across the tire tread. That may be okay with some of you, but I want a more positive relationship between my front wheel and the handlebars.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #10 of 26 Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I give up. I was trying to keep fork brace threads down to a few. There are plenty out there and no, the Glee is no different from any other Strom in its reaction to adding one. Just for fun, see what happens with a search of "why fork brace" in the above Google custom search box. I'll even do it and provide a link. why fork brace - Google Search

Go out to you braceless bike, put your feet on both sides of the front tire and wiggle the handlebars. Watch the front of the fender/mudguard wander across the tire tread. That may be okay with some of you, but I want a more positive relationship between my front wheel and the handlebars.
I followed your suggestion (from your first reply) and did that very thing. There is noticable play in the forks when you do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode