Demystifying the braking system on the wee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Demystifying the braking system on the wee

Can someone explain how exactly the braking system works on the wee.

From what I understand the wee has an integral braking system.
If you brake with the front brake only; only front brake is activated?
If you brake with the rear brake only; the integral braking system kicks in and the front brake is also applied automatically?
Does the ABS on the wee come with Rear wheel Lift-off Protection RLP?
The ABS is from BOSH. Is it the latest and greatest?

What happens when you apply the rear brake to stabilize and shorten the turning radius? For example when you do a U-turn, does the integral system kick in and also apply braking on the front wheel? (Not something you would want)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Adventure Traveler

Garage
Good questions. I'd really like to know also. I've not riden an ABS or integrated system before.

I may need to adjust my riding/braking habit when on the Glee.

Joe

2012 DL650-ADV (Black), 2013 DL650-EXP (White), 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha TW200
IBA #55242, SS1000 x2, BB1500, SS2000, 50CC, National Parks Tour x5 w/ Silver & Gold, 4 Corners & Alaska, 48 plus one, Great Lakes.

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-ell-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 01:05 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The brakes are independent, not linked. Front is front only and rear is rear only. That's true for Wee and Glee. The Glee has a later design and lighter system.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

post #4 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Adventure Traveler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The brakes are independent, not linked. Front is front only and rear is rear only. That's true for Wee and Glee. The Glee has a later design and lighter system.
Great!

I feel a whole lot better now.

Thanks for the clarification.

Joe

2012 DL650-ADV (Black), 2013 DL650-EXP (White), 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha TW200
IBA #55242, SS1000 x2, BB1500, SS2000, 50CC, National Parks Tour x5 w/ Silver & Gold, 4 Corners & Alaska, 48 plus one, Great Lakes.

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-ell-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Also.
The new Wee has less tendency to stand on it's nose than the old one. Nothing to do with ABS, just better suspension and weight balance.

The ABS is very good, it's better than I am on and off road. It's not as feature-filled as is found on some bikes, but it works very well.

Pete
post #6 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weecan View Post
Can someone explain how exactly the braking system works on the wee.

From what I understand the wee has an integral braking system.
If you brake with the front brake only; only front brake is activated?
If you brake with the rear brake only; the integral braking system kicks in and the front brake is also applied automatically?
Does the ABS on the wee come with Rear wheel Lift-off Protection RLP?
The ABS is from BOSH. Is it the latest and greatest?

What happens when you apply the rear brake to stabilize and shorten the turning radius? For example when you do a U-turn, does the integral system kick in and also apply braking on the front wheel? (Not something you would want)
You may be confusing the Wee with bikes such as the Honda CBF600 and also some BMW models. The Honda has an integrated braking system. On Honda's system, when you apply the rears, rear will engage with some front engagement. When you apply the fronts, only the fronts will engage. This may not be a preferred setup for slow speed manoevouring and tight turns but there is only a small amount of front engagement. When I tested a CBF600SA slow speed manoevouring did not seem to be a problem. I much prefer Suzuki's system, however.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)
post #7 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I search all winter for my perfect bike. BMW,Kawa,Honda,Suzuki...

I spent so much time researching the perfect bike that I can't remember what is what

I'm happy to hear that the brakes are independent.
But would have liked Rear wheel Lift-off Protection. I guess it's not on the wee?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0p...=player_popout
post #8 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
It's not mentioned in the literature. Let us know if you can do a stoppie. The long wheelbase will make it difficult. It's 1560mm on the Glee and 1415mm on the Versys in that youtube video.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode