StromTrooper banner

airhawk which size

21K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  fire fox 
#1 ·
I bought the airhawk R and find it too big for the seat. It rubs on my legs what is the best size for the glee?

#2 ·
Funny, I have a medium and wanted to trade for an R. The medium is probably the best fit for the seat, but for me I think the cutout for the tailbone of the R is the ticket. I broke my tailbone a few years ago and I get days where it certainly hurts.

If you decide you want to sell that one, let me know. I'm not sure where Mackay is though ;)

Pete

#8 ·
Shock absorber for your butt

My new Airhawk "Small Cruiser" arrived yesterday (three days after ordering), fits the Wee seat rather well with velcro instead of their straps. Amazing the difference. I would certainly recommend this addition to the stock seat. It is a real shock absorber for my butt and stops a lot of the minor vibration. Now my fillings might stay in my teeth:thumbup:

#10 ·
I went out and looked at the label inside mine, (there's even a serial number!)

Mine is the Small Cruiser and I find it fits my skinny self just fine. The quality is great, mine is about 4 years old now and it holding up very well, just a little sun fading of the cover.

I went for a 150 ride today with only two short stops, my butt was fine until the last 20-30 miles home, I needed to stretch a bit. However, without the Airhawk, I would have been miserable a lot sooner.

The squishy feeling takes a bit to get get used to, but once you do, you realize how well your butt is insulated from road bumps and vibrations. I like that it also sits you up about 1/2" to 3/4" higher (which could be an issue for a shorter rider.)

One thing I should point out is that you want to try to have as little air in the cushion as possible, just enough so that you're not bottoming out on the original seat. There is a small screw cap valve at the rear of the cushion and it only takes a few puffs of air to fill it up. Then you can play with the firmness until you get it where it works.

But you don't fill these things up tight like an inner tube, it's just enough air to elevate you off the seat. All of the little air pads are interconnected, so the air moves around to form to whatever shape you are and that's where the "squishy" feeling comes from.

Wow, that R model is some bucks! You could almost get two small ones for that much.

Here is mine, again....I love it. Small Cruiser.

#11 ·
Steve, how did you get those straps to work? Mine were so short that I put them aside and used hook and loop fasteners with adhesive backing.

#12 ·
Well, I didn't do anything special, I just adjusted the length out enough to go under the seat and across to the other side, I did use a third strap under the seat to join the two other cross straps together and create some "inward" tension to keep the straps from sliding apart.

Here's a view from underneath....

Also note that the straps are not entirely necessary, the bottom has a super non-skid material, but if you need to occasionally stand up, you'd want the straps to keep it from flying off!

#13 ·
straps

cushion came with only two (elastic??) straps, both are quite short. Front is max'd out and back stretches about two thirds around the rear. I used 2"x4" velcro at the center front and rear. Don't know how long the adhesive will stay attached to Strom seat cover. Easy clean material means not much sticks to it.
Kinda like a lot of our politicians (if ya know what I mean).
Thanks for the photo.

#14 ·
straps update

WHAT A MAROON!!! I had those straps adjusted the wrong way. Bless you Wifey!:headbang:

#17 ·
another update got the small cruiser today and it feels awful. the R is so much better where as the small cruiser just makes the seat smaller and bunches up in the crouch no matter how little air is in it. If you like the small or medium cruiser you would love the R. I liked the R it was just too big.
I will return it next week. Time to look for a new seat

#18 ·
We picked up a small cruiser for my wife on the first day of our trip. It made a huge difference. She was able to travel on our Exp. model for an entire day, with multiple stops. The stock seat is terrible, and the Air Hawk made our trip throughout Ontario tolerable. We are still looking at getting a new seat from either Sargent, Corbin or Russell.

The Air Hawk worked well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.