NewBee with New Wee-Strom-ADV - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-01-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Adventure Traveler

Garage
NewBee with New Wee-Strom-ADV

Greetings from Missouri!

I'm new here.... Visited a few times. Been interested in a V-Strom for a few years.... the 2012 remakes/mods sold me.

Been active over on ADVrider & a few other forums. Just bought my first V-Strom, a 2012 DL650 Adventure. Planning on doing some 1-2 week mini adventures, working up to multi-week/multi-month trips. Did 20K+ on my Versys this past year but I wanted a more comfortable ride for distance, saddle time & two up.

I plan on using my Happy Trails side cases & side racks. Hope I can find a new home for the stock Suzuki/Trax boxes & racks?

Before I put any miles on my new Strom I'm looking for a number of farkles...... Hand guards, blash/skid plate, GPS mount, power outlets, off road pegs, centerstand, etc....

Now a little about me.... I started riding in the mid 70's. I'm semi-retired, work about 18-20 hrs/ week. I'm a physician (family practice & sports medicine). Also retired USAF. I try to bike commute year round. I ride 80% blacktop, 20% off road (mostly just exploring).

I'm looking forward to learning from the threads here.

Any suggestions on farkles & vendors would be greatly appreciated.

KJ

Joe

2012 DL650-ADV (Black), 2013 DL650-EXP (White), 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha TW200
IBA #55242, SS1000 x2, BB1500, SS2000, 50CC, National Parks Tour x5 w/ Silver & Gold, 4 Corners & Alaska, 48 plus one, Great Lakes.

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-ell-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via AIM to vegashotwheeler
Welcome to the Strom and Thanks for your years of service
We might have to meet up next summer when I visit Missouri to visit my sister in Springfield area.
Mike

2007 Blue DL650 V-Strom - running out of farkle's to do so bought the VEE
2006 SILVER DL1000 - Running out of Farkles also!!!
2017 EX300 Kawasaki Ninja
Las Vegas, NV
post #3 of 12 Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Adventure Traveler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashotwheeler View Post
Welcome to the Strom and Thanks for your years of service
We might have to meet up next summer when I visit Missouri to visit my sister in Springfield area.
Mike
That would be great. I'm about 3 hrs north of Springfield.

Joe

2012 DL650-ADV (Black), 2013 DL650-EXP (White), 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha TW200
IBA #55242, SS1000 x2, BB1500, SS2000, 50CC, National Parks Tour x5 w/ Silver & Gold, 4 Corners & Alaska, 48 plus one, Great Lakes.

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-ell-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats and welcome! New strom rider here too! Just did my first ride today went 100 miles of back roads and couldn't believe it was that far ha!
post #5 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

A good skidplate should be first on the list. Have fun and be careful.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Missouri Adventures.

If you pinpoint Columbia Mo on a map and draw a 70 mile radius around it you will see where I have done 2700 miles since April. 2100 on my 74 GT550 and 600 on my new Wee. I took delivery on July 14. We have some great back roads. I avoid the interstate unless I get tired and am heading straight home. I am looking forward to a Branson run soon.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via AIM to vegashotwheeler
I did some riding out there this last May.
Rode all over NE OK, NW Arkansas and all over around Nixa, Springfield and Branson.
Rode back roads from my sisters in Nixa to Joplin one night to meet a guy for dinner.
Gotta say its some great riding out there on the back roads, alot different then out here in the desert.
Left Springfeild and rode to Cheyenne Wyoming to have dinner with my son and got to see more of that area and thinking of retiring back that way
Looking forward to next summer to come and explore more
Mike

2007 Blue DL650 V-Strom - running out of farkle's to do so bought the VEE
2006 SILVER DL1000 - Running out of Farkles also!!!
2017 EX300 Kawasaki Ninja
Las Vegas, NV
post #8 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

welcome! i have decked out my 2012 mostly from twisted throttle. i am fortunate enough to live close by but check them out and check out my videos i posted on here of my farkles. good luck!

~~~>Jay<~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
Just bought my first V-Strom, a 2012 DL650 Adventure. Planning on doing some 1-2 week mini adventures, working up to multi-week/multi-month trips.

I plan on using my Happy Trails side cases & side racks. Hope I can find a new home for the stock Suzuki/Trax boxes & racks?

Before I put any miles on my new Strom I'm looking for a number of farkles...... Hand guards, blash/skid plate, GPS mount, power outlets, off road pegs, centerstand, etc....

Any suggestions on farkles & vendors would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome. After you have made 20 real, contributing posts, you advertise your boxes for sale here. ADV rider and craigslist are the other obvious choices.

The Barkbusters are the high end standard for the vStrom, some are having good luck with moose racing. The high end standard for a bash plate is Enduro Guardian, there are many good choices. Look for nice easy to install power accessories at Burns Moto. Check out this stuff as well, from Richland Rick.

All of these adresses are for vendors that carry strom specific stuff.

TwistedThrottle.com

Gear, Parts & Accessories for Adventure Motorcycle Touring - Touratech-USA

Adventure MotoStuff LLC

Happy-Trail.com - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers

https://www.adventuremotorcycleparts.com

Murphskits: Relaunched

V-Stroma.com - Suzuki V-Strom Parts and Accessories

SVRacingParts.com

Pat Walsh Designs

BestRest Products, LLC

Adventure Moto - Motorcycle Touring Accessories, GIVI, SHAD Motorcases, Hepco & Becker, Krauser, SW Motech, Tour Master, SHOEI, OXFORD Products, FIRSTGEAR, TEKNIC, adventuremotousa.com

- Caribou Luggage Systems

My V-Strom Accessories and Motorcycle Memories

Over 8000 Items In Stock and Ready for Immediate Shipment - Whitehorse Gear

Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at California Sport Touring

Home - Adventure Tech Products

Adventure Motorcycle Depot - Parts and Accessories for Adventure Motorcycles

have at it.

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]
post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome

Welcome and congrats. I've outfitted mine mostly from Whitehorse Gear and Twisted Throttle. You can see some of my mods here. Send a message if you want to know more about any of it.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode