Strange noise - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Strange noise

Hi, I just purchased a new 2012 VStrom Adventure last weekend and have about 100 miles on it. I traded in my Ninja 250 (first bike ever). I've been riding for only 1 year and have little mechanical ability (but am learning). I hear a high pitch squeaking (whistling? chirping?) noise in 3rd and 4th gear at about 3-4000 rpm. Otherwise, I cannot find any flaw, the bike runs great. I'm sure this is far too little information to make any diagnosis. Just wanted to see if perhaps I should expect this or maybe normal for break in period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

You're probably hearing the straight cut gears. Not a problem, just ride it.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Different motor designs have certain characteristics about them. I have entirely different sounds coming from our V-twin than I do from my other twin which is a vertical twin.
There are some electrical noises, like fuel pumps that take getting used to. The air flow around the fairing and windshield can have it's own personality too.
As long as the noise doesn't keep getting louder or more aggravating, just enjoy the ride.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

+1
These sound like no other bike out there!
From what I gather, the 12's sound different than all earlier models too.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Crash Bar Vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
Hi, I just purchased a new 2012 VStrom Adventure last weekend and have about 100 miles on it. I traded in my Ninja 250 (first bike ever). I've been riding for only 1 year and have little mechanical ability (but am learning). I hear a high pitch squeaking (whistling? chirping?) noise in 3rd and 4th gear at about 3-4000 rpm. Otherwise, I cannot find any flaw, the bike runs great. I'm sure this is far too little information to make any diagnosis. Just wanted to see if perhaps I should expect this or maybe normal for break in period.
Check for threads on vibrations from the factory crash bars, there are extensive articles about them.
Try removing them, takes 10-15 mins and ride without them and then reinstall, if the sound disappears install a piece of rubber at the front joint before you bolt them back together.
If it's not that, it maybe your factory luggage, do you have the top box? that also has some buzzing, check for threads on that topic as well.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
Check for threads on vibrations from the factory crash bars, there are extensive articles about them.
Try removing them, takes 10-15 mins and ride without them and then reinstall, if the sound disappears install a piece of rubber at the front joint before you bolt them back together.
If it's not that, it maybe your factory luggage, do you have the top box? that also has some buzzing, check for threads on that topic as well.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
-and in my case attaching Yann's skidplate to the crashbar drastically reduced those vibes, at 3000 miles I don't even notice it anymore......

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #7 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

The slice of inner tube inserted at the connector joint did help with the vibration a bit. You should also check the rear red reflectors . I have seen about half the adventures with the rear red reflectors still mounted to the license plate mount. This causes the rear brace for the luggage rack to press against the cross bar. The amount of noise generated via the luggage magnifies all noises. Creating a very noisy ride. The correct location is the angled bracket at the rear of the mOunting bracket for the metal boxes. THe bracket has a single hole to mount the reflectors. The hard bags have their own red reflectors. When the bags are off the relocated reflectors are in place for increased visibility.

I don't mind the going and I don't mind the stopping. I absolutely hate the stop and going.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hmm, I do not have the top box, but I did order one (takes a while to find one that matches the mount). Anyway, thanks for all the responses! I noticed the sound comes at a certain speed (30-40 mph), regardless of clutch engaged/disengaged. Probably the windscreen. Great idea on the skidplate. I read another thread where the bike was damaged on highway because of lack of skidplate. I'll probably purchase it to reduce the vibes (which honestly are non-existant at highway speeds) and protect engine. Thanks again.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Top Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
Hmm, I do not have the top box, but I did order one (takes a while to find one that matches the mount). Anyway, thanks for all the responses! I noticed the sound comes at a certain speed (30-40 mph), regardless of clutch engaged/disengaged. Probably the windscreen. Great idea on the skidplate. I read another thread where the bike was damaged on highway because of lack of skidplate. I'll probably purchase it to reduce the vibes (which honestly are non-existant at highway speeds) and protect engine. Thanks again.
I usually ride with something in the box, keeps the noise/vibes down. When I commute it's all I use as I like to make use of the gaps between cars. I don't lane split because that's illegal here. !!!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
$tromtrooper

Mine has that same whistling, chirping noise. It's not a vibration. I think it's the wind blowing through something on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
noise , squeak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode