New V, bad time at the dealership, my bike blew somebody up - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Unhappy New V, bad time at the dealership, my bike blew somebody up

First, here's a picture album of my new bike, next to my old bike, outside the dealership. Notice the ambulance in the background...?

Photo Album - Imgur

The bike came in a crate yesterday afternoon and my sales guy called to tell me he needed to put it together and I should show up at 10AM today to get it - so I showed up at the appointed time. He takes forever to get my paperwork together, so I have to just wait, and finally after a little over an hour, I get taken to the papers office and sign away my life

I ring the stupid bell that everyone claps for when a bike is sold and the sales guy brings me back to where the bike is, in the mechanic bay area. I see the bike and it's got almost nothing on it - not the windshield, not the engine guards, not the luggage racks

I wait around for another almost 2 frigging hours. Finally the sales guy calls me outside and they roll the bike out - I want to get a picture of both. He tells the mechanic rolling it out to set the old bike next to the new but mechanic guy is either extremely distracted or dumb - he just sort of sets the bike at a weird angle to the other one and walks away, the sales guy looked annoyed and had to move it himself again to make a better pic.

So while this is happening, I hear an ambulance. It pulls into the parking lot with its lights on, right behind the bikes (see pic). I asked the sales guy, who was quickly showing me around the bike, if everything was OK. The sales guy was like, "Yeah, just a thing with a technician. So here's the pre-load adjustment knob..."

While this is happening, we notice the bike isn't put together all the way yet. One of the bolts on the engine guard is barely threaded in and sticking *way* out, one of the side bags wasn't actually locked onto the rack, and god knows what else. The sales guy calls the same mechanic guy out to tighten the bolts that were obviously loose, and the mechanic guy again looked like he had no idea what was going on - either stupid or distracted.

I drove off on the bike and got a call a couple hours later, from the sales floor manager. He said that the guy who put my bike together had, just after filling my bike with gas, blown himself up with the gas tank he'd used to fill my bike, supposedly slinging him back through the air. I guess this isn't my bike's fault, but maybe it's a grim foretelling of me having some fiery wreck because it's cursed. All I'm saying is that I'm not looking forward to the 666th mile I put on it :biggrinjester:

Anyway, the dude that blew up went to the hospital and will be OK, but apparently they didn't do a final go-over (duh) and, worse, there are still a couple things not on my bike. That explains why the mechanic who was out there looked so out of it, considering he'd just seen something crazy happen to his coworker. What this means for me is that I have to go back to the dealership. I'm going to ask the sales manager to sell me an OEM topcase for dealer cost - anyone know how much that is?

You know, I wasn't terribly pissed off about all this until I wrote it all out. Now I kind of realize that my time was wasted and I think they're using the excuse of the guy blowing up to try and get sympathy for being crappy with their service. Damn.

Well anyway, great bike. Promptly dropped it in my driveway when I got home, thankfully fell off into the grass and there was no damage to anything at all.

Last edited by bantam; 07-27-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would have it blessed or exorcise
post #3 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think I'd get the dealership to check over the bike to make sure that all the PDI items were done correctly. And not by the person who had all the excitement with the fuel can!

post #4 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

I do think the dealership should have called you and said "We've had an accident and the mechanic working on your bike has been badly burned/injured. The bike won't be ready today".

However, I shake my head over you being pissed because your inconvenience outweighs the injury received by the mechanic.

Ron B. VK2OTC
2007 Yamaha XJR1300

RIP Bucko
1979-2008 - Riding on forever
post #5 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Which dealership bro? Please don't tell me Cycle Nation of Canton. I'm getting ready to take my new wee back in for some minor adjustments.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]2012 V-Strom 650[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] [/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by greywolf; 07-27-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: excessive quoting
post #6 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sympathy for the injured mechanic, but..........

I wouldn't go back to that dealership for ANYTHING.

I'd be looking for another dealership to do any work in future.

[maybe my thoughts are skewed by my recent dealings with a local Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership but I'm sick of mechanics doing half arsed jobs on my bikes that leave me at risk of being injured or killed and then claiming "extenuating circumstances" for their shoddy workmanship when I front them about it ]

I agree with P38, they should have apologised to you and delayed the delivery of your bike until it was done properly.

Ock. in Oz

I ride naked and unafraid.

Windsor (near enough)
NSW
Australia
post #7 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Nice looking bike(s), you may get a red hourglass painted on the Suzuki, "The Black Widow" Cheers--BB

2012 Wee
post #8 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

I never want to go to a dealer again. Any dealer.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #9 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would call the Suzuki America office and explain the condition of the delivered bike and ask them where they would suggest you take it for a proper inspection.
Someone at the dealers should give the Area Reps number.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
I think I'd get the dealership to check over the bike to make sure that all the PDI items were done correctly. And not by the person who had all the excitement with the fuel can!
I was thinking along the same lines, except GO TO A DIFFERENT DEALER!!!

Go hakafugu yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode