We're now a 2-Glee household - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

We're now a 2-Glee household

I posted in another thread about my poor wife's bike wreck at the end of our vacation a couple of weeks ago. The short version of the story was that she lowsided at about 55 mph after snatching her front brake too hard, but walked away with fairly minor injuries (bruising and road rash), even though she totaled her beloved 2010 Triumph Bonneville.

One of you wags suggested that she replace it with a '12 Wee. Well, as it turns out... she did!

Mike at Aurora Suzuki here in Seattle set up a lowered Adventure model for her, with lowering links, raised forks, and a low saddle, and after she took it for a short test ride, pronounced undying love for it. We did the paperwork, and the deed was done. She's easing back into riding, but even after only a few short trips really appreciates the smooth, easy to modulate brakes, along with the wind protection and the buttery gearbox. I'm going to clap a Superbrace on the fork, and I think that'll be it for farkelage.

I'm happy for her, though I think I'll miss having a different bike to hare around on when she's not looking.

Yours in multiple Stromitude,
Trent

Trent Hill
Seattle, Washington
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Trent in WA; 07-24-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

So glad she is OK. She will love her new Wee. I just purchased a 2012 Wee (although not the adventure model). So far I've added the Kouba Links, lower cowling and power socket. I have ordered the low saddle, chain guard, accessory bar, heated grips, tank bag and GPS mount. I have not made a final decision on bags but I am getting ready to order the GIVI PLR quick release mounts so I don't have to run around with bags on all the time. For daily riding I like the Kriega tailback bags. She will love her WEE!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]2012 V-Strom 650[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] [/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Two Adventure Family

Congrats, Trent! My wife purchased an Adventure this past month as well after we discovered some substantial damage to her Gladius from a low speed spill. We left on a 600 mile trip the day after purchase and she has never looked back. Absolutely loves the bike and will love it more after I install Kouba 3/4" lowering links on Saturday. So yes, now we match...see attached photo.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SunnyV.jpg (98.1 KB, 40 views)

post #4 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
$tromtrooper

You could save some cash and support a 'local' WA business and buy the fork brace from Richland Rick...

L2V -- she's a stocker!...and gone...
2011 MG Stelvio
post #5 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

TYrent,

Glad your wife is all right! Its great that she got up and is riding again.. I hope you are proud of her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioStrom View Post
Congrats, Trent! My wife purchased an Adventure this past month as well after we discovered some substantial damage to her Gladius from a low speed spill. We left on a 600 mile trip the day after purchase and she has never looked back. Absolutely loves the bike and will love it more after I install Kouba 3/4" lowering links on Saturday. So yes, now we match...see attached photo.

Enjoy!

I know itís off topic but how tall is your wife? My GF has a 2009 Gladius. She loves it but in the future would like to get another with ABS. I'd love for her to get into a Strom although she isn't in love with the aesthetics (or lack thereof.)

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
TYrent,

Glad your wife is all right! Its great that she got up and is riding again.. I hope you are proud of her!

I know itís off topic but how tall is your wife? My GF has a 2009 Gladius. She loves it but in the future would like to get another with ABS. I'd love for her to get into a Strom although she isn't in love with the aesthetics (or lack thereof.)

..Tom
My wife is 5' 8", with a 31" inseam. While she can touch nearly flatfoot, the lower height will enable better traction when backing up and additional security when stopping on uneven ground - both important when upper body strength is lacking.

The important thing is that she was still not completely comfortable on the Gladius as she had been riding only a year without much saddle time, but said th vstrom is so much more competent and comfortable, that she is stoked to ride more and farther. A great confidence boost.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the good wishes, y'all! I'll try to get Melinda on here eventually.

Tom, Melinda is 5' 5", fairly long-waisted. I started out on a Gladius, and it was a little tall for my wife, though not too bad. She can flat-foot the Strom pretty easily now that it's been shortened. I liked the Gladius just fine for short, zippy rides on decent pavement around the area, but the Strom is just better sorted for the kind of riding I like to do.

BStrom - you guys look like you're having a great time there.

Henery - Thanks for the tip. I already got the brace, but Rick's on my list for some future farkelage.

Trent Hill
Seattle, Washington
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioStrom View Post

Enjoy!
Where did you get your top box? I have been trying to find a matching TB with no luck so far.......

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #9 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henerythe8th View Post
You could save some cash and support a 'local' WA business and buy the fork brace from Richland Rick...
+++ for RR's fork brace !

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #10 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift View Post
Where did you get your top box? I have been trying to find a matching TB with no luck so far.......
BigSkyDrift, I ordered it from Suzuki thru Romney Cycles back in May and it arrived in early June. As a warning, when empty it reverberates loudly upon acceleration, fixed by lining with herculiner and keeping it partially filled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode