Farkles for the dashboard - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Farkles for the dashboard

I've been slowly tweaking my bar and dash area with farkles, and almost got it to the point where I'm happy with them. Just thought I'd share!

From left to right:

Pazzo knockoff CNC adjustable levers - regular for the clutch and shorty for the brake. I broke both OEM ones dropping the bike, and so far these replacements are fantastic - much nicer than the originals. They're the same Chinese ones that Greywolf had on his old bike.

ContourROAM video camera - mounted on a RAM arm and a mount that I fabricated by replacing the stock M6 fairing bolt with a longer custom version that screws into a female RAM ball. This is the "default" position for my camera, because I can turn it on and off easily with my left hand.

Garmin Zumo 660 - navigation and music that feeds Bluetooth stereo audio to the Interphone F4 mounted on my helmet. The cradle is attached to the bars with a standard RAM mount and U-bolt.

Wolfman Explorer Lite tankbag with a Camelbak Antidote 50oz reservoir - I found a $5 magnetic mount from another brand with one side that snaps onto the hose and another piece that clips onto a flat surface. When I'm done drinking, I just put the hose back down, and it locks into place like that.

Beltronics RX65 radar detector - mounted on a RAM Powerplate magnetic quick release. I glued a dummy RJ45 jack underneath the plate so when I'm not using the radar, I plug the power cord into it to keep it dry and protected. I also built a homebrew visual alert with a high power LED that plugs into the headphone jack and flashes brightly enough to get my attention even when I'm focused on the road.

Oxford heated grips customized with a Symtec bar mount controller - that's the switch mounted on the brake perch next to the starter. It cycles through five temperatures and progressively lights up an LED scale as it gets warmer.

So far, it's working out nicely. Only thing missing is the Barkbuster VPS guards that I ordered two months ago to protect all this (the white plastics have been backordered for awhile).

Took her out on a nice 550 mile ride yesterday and enjoyed all of the farkles very much.... :mrgreen:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash.jpg (91.7 KB, 1205 views)
File Type: jpg dash2.jpg (96.9 KB, 558 views)

2012 DL650 Shiro Nakama #27
Ride Report: https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

That's no a dash.....

This is a dash :mrgreen:
post #3 of 12 Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Well, fine, 'farkles for that bit of the bike in front of the rider'.

Ride Report: https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/79121-footsteps-lewis-clark.html

post #4 of 12 Old 07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Very nice set up.

I plan on putting the Symtec grip heaters under the OEM or some new rubber grips and my Grip Puppies.

How does that Symtec switch operate? Does it clamp onto the mirror clamps? That's very clean looking.

I just the had a Hi/Lo switch that came with the Symtec heaters on my last bike.

I love the white Wee, it would have been a toss-up with the orange if they sold the white in here in the States.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
Very nice set up.

I plan on putting the Symtec grip heaters under the OEM or some new rubber grips and my Grip Puppies.

How does that Symtec switch operate? Does it clamp onto the mirror clamps? That's very clean looking.

I just the had a Hi/Lo switch that came with the Symtec heaters on my last bike.

I love the white Wee, it would have been a toss-up with the orange if they sold the white in here in the States.
Hi Steve,

It's Symtec's premium controller: Lockitt.com Symtec Under Grip heaters with 4 stage controller

It is supposed to replace the front portion of the perch clamp, but since that part is also the right hand mirror mount on our bikes, I just got longer bolts and put it on top of the existing piece. However, it is intended to go right up against the bar (wires running through a hole drilled in the bar) so I had to make some modifications to add strain relief and cable housing.

I liked the stealth look and had to get a new switch for my Oxford grips anyway since I blew out the original controller.

Thanks for the compliment.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Pazzo knockoff CNC adjustable levers - regular for the clutch and shorty for the brake. I broke both OEM ones dropping the bike, and so far these replacements are fantastic - much nicer than the originals. They're the same Chinese ones that Greywolf had on his old bike.

Where did you get the levers? Do levers from a 2011 fit a 2012 Wee?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Awesome kit, Those are the heaters that I was going to get and now even better with the 4 step controller. I was very happy with their performance on the BMW.

Thanks for the link!

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #8 of 12 Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideronthestrom View Post

Where did you get the levers? Do levers from a 2011 fit a 2012 Wee?
These are the levers: Adjustable Custom Brake & Clutch Levers - Sport bike Racing Parts-Performance Sportbike Custom Levers,Rear sets,Billet Mirror,Sport bike Accessories

Looks a bit sketchy, but the service was great and they were delivered from China to Canada in 48 hours. I don't think I've ever had a domestic store here deliver that quickly lol. And since they were good enough for GW, they're good enough for me.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

snowkarver, i just saw the link you provided and ordered a set immediately as they are on sale for $62 a set. thanks for the link!
post #10 of 12 Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

I really like the camera set-up. The whole deal looks cool as hell. I gotta sell my hog, I'm ready to put 80,000 miles on a new wee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode