My first proper offroad trip - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My first proper offroad trip

I took the vstrom for it's first proper offroad trip yesterday. It went better than I expected. Obviously it wasn't as good as my DRZ400E, but it was better than my old Vstrom, probably closer to my old Honda NX650 Dominator.

Dirt roads it's fine. The people that complain the ABS cannot be turned off obviously haven't tried the ABS offroad, because it's awesome. I could brake harder with the ABS than what I would be able to confidently do without it. I could still use the gears to generate a lot of braking on the rear and drift it under brakes if I wanted to.

The only surface it didn't like is mud, but that is because those stock tyres give zero traction in the mud.

If even does little jumps pretty well, the old Vstrom used to clunk and complain and the rear would kick around a lot.

Oh, and I put a wetsuit material style stubby cooler over the oil filter to give it some protection

Here's the first video, you can watch this in 720p on youtube;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29uzhrkAZFw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Great report and video. This just proves that these bikes definitely have some offload capability. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Much awesomeness. Thanks for the report!

I've already taken my 2012 Wee off-roading, in very rough territory - climbing over large gravel and boulders and through mud (dropped it twice - no damage except a bent clutch lever, ho-hum), but since I don't have a helmet cam, I didn't get to record it except in memory. Even crazier, it was two-up - and my gf is smart enough that she didn't need to be told when to get off; in fact, I got to wondering why I was having such an easy time going through a nasty mudhole, and it turned out that she was walking behind me and holding the back end steady.

(Yes, I'm hella lucky.)

We got to explore a remote lake (shores too overgrown to fish, dammit) and gorge on wild blueberries and raspberries, all for the price of a few bruises and being mud spattered.

I do have to say that the Wee didn't seem all that happy about being made to climb steep hills and over big boulders at under 5mph for a large part of this 4-hour trek; it ran rather hot (unsurprising, given that it was ~95F out) and took 10-15 minutes to stop running its fan after shutdown.

Given that the last time I went off-roading was in the 1980s, on a YZ400 in the Mojave Desert, it was a rather crazy thing to do, but... the Wee made me do it. Just seemed like it was begging to be taken off the asphalt for a while!

EDIT: Oh yeah - I did take a couple of pics toward the end of the trip. Can't see any of the rough bits there, though. (All these images are clickable for larger photos.)

And we spent that night in much more civilized surroundings...

Ben / 2012 DL-650A
--
Givi: AF3101 windshield, crash bars
Kuryakyn: 4141 GranTour Bag, 4171 Saddlebags, 4161 Cranker Tank Bag
RichlandRick: lowering kit, kickstand "shoe"
Stebel Nautilus horn/mount kit/wire harness
R&G swingarm spools
[URL="http://solarcapitalist.com/"]SAE power socket[/URL]
Handlebar GPS mount (RAM ball + Arkon case)

Last edited by PerfectStrom; 07-22-2012 at 06:41 PM.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, the gearing is definitely too tall for the slow stuff. But every bike is like that, on my DRZ I have different front and rear sprockets that I use depending on what type of riding I want to do.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

And you might want to try smaller versions of those pics
post #6 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
And you might want to try smaller versions of those pics
Heh, right. I'm not all that smooth with all that forum stuff yet, but I'll figure it out.

Ben / 2012 DL-650A
--
R&G swingarm spools
post #7 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wonderful for you. But you've got experience. I did 15-17 miles of the Dirt part of POZO Road in Central Cal on Saturday on the Wee. Bumpy but fairly compacted. I played with roosting a bit. Haven't done that in 15-20 years.
Oh, The dang bike sure rattles a lot in the rough stuff
So, these things can do none pavement things, Who'd a thunk it!:biggrinjester:
post #8 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wow, I can't believe how much Australia looks like Pennsylvania! There are lots of roads EXACTLY like that here - dirt single lane thru the woods, strewn with random-sized rocks, up and down a mountain.

Altho I take them a LOT slower than you do.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectStrom View Post
Much awesomeness. Thanks for the report!

I've already taken my 2012 Wee off-roading, in very rough territory - climbing over large gravel and boulders and through mud (dropped it twice - no damage except a bent clutch lever, ho-hum), but since I don't have a helmet cam, I didn't get to record it except in memory. Even crazier, it was two-up - and my gf is smart enough that she didn't need to be told when to get off;
I think you're lying...
Quote:
in fact, I got to wondering why I was having such an easy time going through a nasty mudhole, and it turned out that she was walking behind me and holding the back end steady.
Now I KNOW you're lying! Those women don't exist.

Alexi
post #10 of 19 Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalexi View Post
I think you're lying...Now I KNOW you're lying! Those women don't exist.
I must have done some really good stuff in an earlier life to get this lucky. Saved the world or something. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just like all the best adventures, some of the best women come from the most remote places. And yes, she's got a sister... who is married, with two kids (one of whom just had a kid of her own.)

Did I mention that she likes to fish, maybe even more than I do (and I'm a fishin' fanatic)? Including the cleaning and the cooking part? And loves the outdoors, whatever the weather? A very traditional sort of girl, this one.

Ben / 2012 DL-650A
--
R&G swingarm spools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode