Howdy. New DL650A owner here. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-22-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Howdy. New DL650A owner here.

I went to the dealership yesterday after reading all the good things about the V-Strom, (Why isn't is V-Storm? Strange) Anyway, I have been riding big bikes for the last 20 years. Mostly Connie's, even had a Goldwing for awhile. But I really like to off road some and have a lot of places I go that are long trips down gravel roads. Here in Arkansas, we have some killer swimming holes and hiking places that are far off the pavement, so the V-Strom is perfect for that. After the test ride I knew I was buying it! After riding those big bikes so long this thing handles like a Mountain Bike!

So, I have a few questions.

First, after reading all the post here, I decided to get the Touratech Skid Plate. It seemed the easiest to install, since I don't have a center stand (yet) and have no good way to remove the stand for the installation of the Yann one, which I liked. I figured with all the gravel road, and ATV trail riding I plan to do I needed to protect that protruding oil filter.

My next problem is going to be how to rig up highway pegs. I just have to have them as I have a bad back, and change positions a lot on 200+ mile runs.

It looks like it would be easy to just clamp some pegs on the engine guards, but all the pegs I have found fit 1" to 1 1/4" tubes, and the ones on this bike are 3/4"? Anyone found pegs that fit?

I am sure I will have more questions, but those are my most important projects right now. It is a super fun bike to ride. I know I am going to love it! I already love the Panniers, and have the matching top box on order.

I like the stock windshield set in the middle position with the louver all the way up. I am 6' 1", with a 34" inseam. But it is 100 degrees here everyday and this winter I may not like it so much! :mrgreen:

I am looking forward to getting to know everybody here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin View Post
First, after reading all the post here, I decided to get the Touratech Skid Plate. It seemed the easiest to install, since I don't have a center stand (yet) and have no good way to remove the stand for the installation of the Yann one, which I liked. I figured with all the gravel road, and ATV trail riding I plan to do I needed to protect that protruding oil filter.
Buy an 8 foot 2x10 and put some sort of holes/hooks/loops, whatever on the board maybe about 3 feet each from the center. Then put the board up against a wall. Pull your bike forward on the center of the board so the front tire is against the wall. Attach tiedown straps to your triple tree, and the other end to the holes/hoops/whatever on the board. Make sure the left one is attached, and start to crank the right one. If the bike is not running and in gear, this should minimize/eliminate the bike going forward or backward, and the straps will be tightened enough to bring and hold the bike upright. Now you can install Yann's skidplate!

If you need more examples of this, look online as many people will tow a bike in the back of a pickup without using a chock, and just brace the front wheel against the pickup wall while tying it down.
Quote:
My next problem is going to be how to rig up highway pegs. It looks like it would be easy to just clamp some pegs on the engine guards, but all the pegs I have found fit 1" to 1 1/4" tubes, and the ones on this bike are 3/4"? Anyone found pegs that fit?
The standard (OEM) engine guards are 7/8 of an inch. Look up that measurement and you should get plenty of options, even from kuryakyn which has TONS of stuff (if you're ok with pretty much everything being chromed!)

Enjoy the bike! Had mine just over a week, put about 350 miles on it (I know I know...I had to drive the car a few days and it sucked having to do that), and I have a feeling it's going to be one of the best commuter/light tourers I could have chosen. REALLY looking forward to putting on miles!

Alexi
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Throw 2 ratchet straps over the beams in your garage ( or a good stout tree limb -- whatever is handy ) -- bolt on Yann's skidplate and his highway bars and ride comfortably. And secure in the knowledge that your oil filter aint gonna get whacked. Enjoy the bike-it gets better each time you ride.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Great ideas! Thanks guys!
post #5 of 12 Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I used the A post of my car door, tie downs, and my garage door rail to set the bike upright.

I grew up in Cabot, by southside elementary near Mt. Carmel Baptist. You'll have some good country, gravel and dirt roads to drive through. Holland Bottoms could be some good off roading.

Vinny
post #6 of 12 Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin View Post
I went to the dealership yesterday after reading all the good things about the V-Strom, (Why isn't is V-Storm? Strange) Anyway, I have been riding big bikes for the last 20 years. Mostly Connie's, even had a Goldwing for awhile. But I really like to off road some and have a lot of places I go that are long trips down gravel roads. Here in Arkansas, we have some killer swimming holes and hiking places that are far off the pavement, so the V-Strom is perfect for that. After the test ride I knew I was buying it! After riding those big bikes so long this thing handles like a Mountain Bike!
BTW, yes many people love yann's skidplate. Mine is in the mail and should get here Wednesday.

But in respect to the rest of your post, I kinda did the same thing. I went from Suzuki C50, to Honda 919, to FJR, to Victory Vision. Getting bigger and bigger every time. And I COMPLETELY agree about coming down to the V-strom. It just feels so light and maneuverable! AWESOME! For kicks, go take a ninja 250 for a ride. My wife has a CBR250R (hondas 250 sportbike) and I was flipping between the Victory Vision and the CBR week to week. Talk about two extremes of the spectrum! CBR felt like a motorized bicycle.

Alexi
post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny72758 View Post
I used the A post of my car door, tie downs, and my garage door rail to set the bike upright.

I grew up in Cabot, by southside elementary near Mt. Carmel Baptist. You'll have some good country, gravel and dirt roads to drive through. Holland Bottoms could be some good off roading.

Vinny
Cool! Small world!

I used to have a Cabin up in Johnson County on Ozone mountain. Tons of ATV trails up there that go for miles. Will be a great place to take the Strom.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalexi View Post
BTW, yes many people love yann's skidplate. Mine is in the mail and should get here Wednesday.

But in respect to the rest of your post, I kinda did the same thing. I went from Suzuki C50, to Honda 919, to FJR, to Victory Vision. Getting bigger and bigger every time. And I COMPLETELY agree about coming down to the V-strom. It just feels so light and maneuverable! AWESOME! For kicks, go take a ninja 250 for a ride. My wife has a CBR250R (hondas 250 sportbike) and I was flipping between the Victory Vision and the CBR week to week. Talk about two extremes of the spectrum! CBR felt like a motorized bicycle.

Alexi
Yea, Yann's looked like the best for sure. But I already ordered to Toura-Tech. It looks good too. And easy to remove for oil changes. Another thing I liked is that it didn't use u clamps to connect with.

I am gonna ride to Springfield, Mo today (220 miles) and have some beers and play guitar with my Nephew who lives up there. When I get back home tomorrow, it will be time to get that first oil change over with. Cant wait to get that dirty oil out of there. I think I will have right at 600 miles on the bike when I get home tomorrow.

Loving this bike!
post #9 of 12 Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
(Why isn't is V-Storm? Strange)
V-Strom, what does it mean?

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #10 of 12 Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have Yann's skidplate and his highway bars mount in the perfect spot on it. I also have back problems.... very happy with Yann's plate / bars and they help to create a very comfortable position for my legs / back. ( I am 6'2" tall )

2012 DL650 Adventure

Last edited by bigskydrift; 07-24-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode