ABS Switch - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

ABS Switch

Has anyone added an ABS on/off switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, I did, Eastern beaver sells all the bits to make one.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2
post #3 of 19 Old 07-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Reports are that the new generation ABS system on the 2012 is so well designed and calibrated that it's really non-intrusive, even in the soft stuff; no off switch is needed...

Perhaps your experience is different?

post #4 of 19 Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I wanted to bring this back to the top of the forum to see if there is any truth to this "rumor" that the ABS on the newer model V-Strom 650 2012+ don't need the ABS switch even in the soft stuff.

I just got mine June 5, 2013 and haven't had any chance to try it out and would prefer to hear some stories before I did! Thanks.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM
$tromtrooper

I can't imagine what they could do to an ABS braking system to make it trail friendly except for an on/off switch.

14 tooth for me
post #6 of 19 Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can provide feedback on this. 30 minutes from my home is one million acres of state forest with hundreds of miles of sandy fire roads. I have logged countless miles in the sand over the past 35 years; mostly on single-cylinder dirt bikes without ABS. The Vstrom is my first ABS bike. Initially, I assumed I would have to install an ABS disabling switch. However, after several hundred miles in the sand, I no longer feel the need to disable the ABS. It is a very good system. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardsley View Post
I wanted to bring this back to the top of the forum to see if there is any truth to this "rumor" that the ABS on the newer model V-Strom 650 2012+ don't need the ABS switch even in the soft stuff.

I just got mine June 5, 2013 and haven't had any chance to try it out and would prefer to hear some stories before I did! Thanks.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbill View Post
I can provide feedback on this. 30 minutes from my home is one million acres of state forest with hundreds of miles of sandy fire roads. I have logged countless miles in the sand over the past 35 years; mostly on single-cylinder dirt bikes without ABS. The Vstrom is my first ABS bike. Initially, I assumed I would have to install an ABS disabling switch. However, after several hundred miles in the sand, I no longer feel the need to disable the ABS. It is a very good system. YMMV
I also have a similar experience to you. Nearly all my off road was previously done on a thumper. The DL650 is my first adventure motorcycle. I have now done quite a bit of fire trails and even a few steep hill passes and have had no issues with the ABS. The development of the latest system is amazing.

For what this bike is, it does OK off road, and I think that the ABS works to the bikes setup and intended use.

Who knows, as I start finding the need to get more and more adventurous an ABS off switch may be needed, but until now it seems to work well.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks! I think I should be fine then without the switch then. I'm really planning on starting with very tame stuff nothing too hairy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM
$tromtrooper

Most riding off pavement, especially the way most ride stroms off pavement should cause little concern. An exception would be riding steep (emphasis on steep) downhills with a loose surface where you may find yourself astride a runaway train. There is a reason some 'adventure' machines have switchable abs. We just have the 'more affordable' version.

14 tooth for me
post #10 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to charliefrench2oo8 Send a message via Skype™ to charliefrench2oo8
I Installed a cutoff switch on mine, and have used it maybe 2 times? The only time you really need it is super steep loose dirt downhill, which in that case is hard to stop anyways. Here's an idea of what i'm talking about (Not a V-Strom in this video, but same idea)

BMW1200GS in free fall - YouTube - 32 Seconds in

Not enough hours in the day for riding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode