Adv panniers - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Adv panniers

I am preparing for my second only big ride on my L2 wee and when I load the aluminum panniers that the bike came with I notice a sticker saying no more than 3 kg of weight. That is only 6.6 lbs! I have tried to lighten my load as much as possible but each pannier loaded is at around 25 lbs. If I kept it to 6.6 lbs each all I would be carrying would be a change of clothes and a roll of tp!
I have the usual stuff for cooking, food stuff, and some very light fishing gear, camera, tools, etc.
Thoughts on this anyone?

2012 DL650 Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I wouldn't worry about it. I think the Suzuki factory top rack is only rated for like 15 pounds, and I regularly exceed that with my top case.

Load it up and forget about it. Maybe look back every once in awhile make sure they are still there.

DL650K7
XL1200N (Sold)
post #3 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've had 10 to 15 lbs in each of my panniers for my entire last trip. Zero issues. I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about more weight, other than saying I'm not sure why anyone would need to take that much. I had a week worth of gear and clothes including camping gear/tent, etc and felt I brought too much!

Also, I tried to keep the heaviest and bulkiest items in a dry bag the passenger seat. That included a tent, sleeping bag, mattress, chair, etc.

Pete

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use

post #4 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

By the way - I love Missoula. Great town, great people. Only exception if Hoagieville - their cheese fries are so wrong. I was sick as a dog after I actually finished a small

2012 DL650 EXP

Designed for outdoor use
post #5 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I was surprised that my touratech panniers have a label in them, telling me not to exceed 15 kg each (33 lbs), but they only wrote that in German, so I don't really know what it says (my excuse if they get overloaded for any reason).

As far as weight for a trip, a litre of water is already 1 kg, and that is without the container you put it in. If you only take a couple litres and a bottle of fuel, you have already hit the weight limit for one of those boxes. I also forsee myself adding bags on top of my already very large panniers for some long trips in the future (mostly because of some specialized equipment). But I do agree that choosing what to bring, so you don't bring an excess of stuff is very important.

Also, as another person mentioned, get a dry bag for the rear seat (if you aren't riding 2-up) and put most of the heavy stuff there so you have less to worry about. I would think the panniers should easily be able to hold 20 lbs each. Also, if you are staying on the slab, go for it; if you are going off-road at all be a little more caustious of those limits.

2014 DL650AL4 - Too many farkles to list
2012 DL650AL2 (REBUILT)

Last edited by tkwetzel; 07-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thanks for the comments all,

I am going camping so baggage includes lightweight stove, lantern including 2 cans of fuel, lightweight food, LW fishing gear, LW camera, no liquids other than spare oil, chain lube and very basic tools and tire repair equip. My sleep bag, thermarest pad and LW raingear in dry sack on seat. I am not sure out of this basic list what I could omit, but am still at 25 lbs. per pannier (including pannier) maybe my scale is reading high ?
will be riding 95% pavement.

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift View Post
thanks for the comments all,

I am going camping so baggage includes lightweight stove, lantern including 2 cans of fuel, lightweight food, LW fishing gear, LW camera, no liquids other than spare oil, chain lube and very basic tools and tire repair equip. My sleep bag, thermarest pad and LW raingear in dry sack on seat. I am not sure out of this basic list what I could omit, but am still at 25 lbs. per pannier (including pannier) maybe my scale is reading high ?
will be riding 95% pavement.
How much do those panniers weigh without anything in them? Because that could be a significant amount of the 25 lbs. and should not be included when looking at the weight limit of the pannier contents. If everything else is light weight, you have some heavy tools. I can go camping with a 12 lb backpack (only one can of fuel, no fishing gear, point and shoot camera in my pocket and no motorbike tools), so 50 lbs between the two panniers, not including your sleeping bag, rain gear, and sleeping pad, seems excessive.

This past weekend I was probably at an average of 30-35 lbs per pannier (including the panniers), but that is only because I had 40-50 lbs of caving equipment with me. But that is also why I went with some top quality panniers.

2014 DL650AL4 - Too many farkles to list
2012 DL650AL2 (REBUILT)
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the happy trails teton panniers and rack, as well as a 5 gallon auxiliary tank bolted to the tail rack. On a long trip I will take probably up to 90-100 lbs of extra weight. Maybe 30 pounds in each pannier and roughly 30 lbs of gas on the tail rack. I have done this quite often over a 25000 mile period, and I have never had any problems.

The happy trails racks are pretty sturdy, but I'm sure the ADV boxes aren't too bad either. Just use common sense, and you'll be fine.

DL650K8ABS IBA# 35551
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

weight limit

its more important to regularly examine the racks and panniers for cracking and other issues than to worry about a specific weight limit

weight limits are written to satisfy lawyers and risk managers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode