PIAA Hgwy Lights--install issue - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

PIAA Hgwy Lights--install issue

My dealer ordered a PIAA Highway Lights set and the accompanying kit for my new Adventure. The bar that came with the kit doesn't fit the 2012, but the parts catalog indicated that it does. So, the dealer hasn't been able to install them. Taking initiative, I contacted the PIAA rep by email explaining the dilemma. He copied me on an email that he sent around to his people stating not sure how to help this customer, and then asking if the customer has engine guards maybe offer L brackets to mount his lights.

I do have the OEM engine guards that came with the Adventure. They have not had the vibration problem that others have experienced.

Any suggestions for mounting the lights? Looks like the rep is leaning toward an engine guard mount solution. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Two-Bike Don

12 DL650 Adv
08 Victory Kingpin (sold)
08 DL650 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Personally I would rather fab up a mount somewhere than attached them to the engine guards. I have an 08 and it does not really have a vibration issue, but if you reach down and grab the engine guard at speed I still think it vibrates too much that I would not be comfortable mounting PIAA's on them. Now that is just me. On the other side of the coin, look at all the shaking Harley's with lights that don't burn out from the teeth rattling vibes on those bikes...

"Blindness is contagious, see for yourself." - SthrnRomr 2012
post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM

Contact Twisted Throttle and ask them if the bracket from the Denali LED will fit with the PIAA lights on your bike. They sell both brands and should be able to help. They sell the Denali bracket separately.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5224

post #4 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

SW Motech ( Twisted Throttle ) has a very nice set of light mounts that bolt to the upper body work. Couldn't be happier with mine, fit is perfect and they are easy to install. Completely reversible ( if you don't drill a hole to hide the wires.)

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
SW Motech ( Twisted Throttle ) has a very nice set of light mounts that bolt to the upper body work. Couldn't be happier with mine, fit is perfect and they are easy to install. Completely reversible ( if you don't drill a hole to hide the wires.
Realshelby, if you get a chance can you take a close-up picture of the mounting and where you put the toggle switch? Thanks.

The lights look awesome.

We interrupt this marriage to bring you the riding season.

2012 Wee - Fox Orange (Gord)
2011 Wee - Black (The Black Heathen) - Traded in
K7 Wee - Silver (Thunder) - Sold
post #6 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

aux lights

DITTO, on would like to see more pics

thx

sw

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
--------------------------------------------------------
steve
--------------------------------------------------------
'05 WEE (LRW)
'99 DR TREE FIDDY SEX
plus several BRAND X
post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
SW Motech ( Twisted Throttle ) has a very nice set of light mounts that bolt to the upper body work. Couldn't be happier with mine, fit is perfect and they are easy to install.
Lights mounted higher than the headlights are illegal for on-road use in many/most places. Also, those lights are going bye-bye at the first tip-over. This was also true on the older version light bar that mounted under the cowl.

I bought a set of those brackets as well, but my plan was a GoPro mounting point. They're good brackets, I just wouldn't put lights on them.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Swmotech brackets fitted and am very happy with them.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...-brackets.html
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Do the SW-Motech brackets require drilling for installation?

Two-Bike Don

12 DL650 Adv
08 Victory Kingpin (sold)
08 DL650 (sold)
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM
What Kinda Bike Is That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Bike Don View Post
Any suggestions for mounting the lights? Looks like the rep is leaning toward an engine guard mount solution. Thoughts?

Thanks!
My thoughts are, don't bother with them.

They will provide you with some extra illumination; not only for you to see with, but for other drivers to see you.

However, they will eventually break. Either from the "never escaping" vibrations that occur during normal riding, and added vibrations while riding rough roads, and more importantly WHEN you drop your bike.

I had one set that I mounted to a custom light bar that I built. The light bar held up, but the PIAA lights did not. Two separate incidents; I first broke the left one, (hit a deer and went down), then broke the right one, (cold tires, cold pavement, took a turn too "hot", and went down. My fault.)

The second set were mounted INSIDE 4" diameter steel well casing sections(!), that I welded to my crashbars. They still didn't hold up.

I got tired of buying them, and the "cool look" that they exuded wore off. I don't use any driving lights anymore.

Save your money, and the meager electrical output of your bike for more important gear.

That's my opinion and thoughts.

Here is a smashed PIAA driving light that was mounted to a SW-Motech crashbar. This was the result of hitting a deer.

The right light broke 10 days later when I laid the bike down.

Here I am cutting the well casing housings off of my crashbars in the spring of 2010.

In 2012? One very lean machine with not a lot of extras and can withstand the rough New England roads. And, some of Canada too!

B.L.

2007 DL-650 (I gave away in 2012 with 111,000 + miles)
"A word grows to a thought; a thought to an idea; an idea to an act. All the pieces are put together, and the whole is yours."
1942, Beryl Markham: "West With the Night"
"You can talk about doing a thing until everyone finally talks you out of it, or you can actually do the thing"
James Baldwin "Across Islands and Oceans"

Last edited by Black Lab; 07-18-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode