Symmetrical luggage racks for 2012? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
not very quiet

Symmetrical luggage racks for 2012?

Please point me toward symmetrical racks. I had Happy Trails on my '07, and may do that again, but I want to know what other choices I have.

Greywolf said, "The SW-Motech Evo luggage rack just isn't right". If there are issues with other mounts, please say so. On my HT mounts, I had to tweak (bend) nearly every component slightly to get the holes to line up and still have the boxes hang straight and true. My guess is that it was due to weld shrinkage during construction.

I've looked through the "show us your luggage" threads, but most of those shots are from the side and don't help with this question.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Pelican Cases!!!
1500 is the smallest side load I have used.
1550 is nice for long hauls.
1440 is top load, I never liked my HT top loaders so I went to the 1500

I smashed the heck out of them, contacted a rep and they said they will issue me a warranty replacement on Monday when that department opens.

You can fit them to any frame, use a wood chisel to flatten the contact points.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 03:13 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I was not aware the Happy Trails racks were symmetrical. There is no reason for a bike with a high muffler on one side only to have a symmetrical rack. It makes the luggage needlessly wide. Most are a compromise between wider than necessary and close to both sides funny looking. I've done a little mileage with only one side case mounted and it's not a problem. The old Hepco & Becker junior bags with a 40L left and 30L right took advantage of the space difference. Some people have run Givi E36 on the right and E45 on the left to get the outside of the bags pretty equal from center.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

post #4 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

"Symmetrical racks" you want a massive gap on the left-hand side so you can fit two boxes that are the same size.

Or, you'll end up when the panniers on with the width from the centre line being equal on the left and right-hand sides?
post #5 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietMike View Post
Please point me toward symmetrical racks. I had Happy Trails on my '07, and may do that again, but I want to know what other choices I have.

Greywolf said, "The SW-Motech Evo luggage rack just isn't right". If there are issues with other mounts, please say so. On my HT mounts, I had to tweak (bend) nearly every component slightly to get the holes to line up and still have the boxes hang straight and true. My guess is that it was due to weld shrinkage during construction.
FYI: The Hepco Becker are not symmetrical, but are close. I'd say they are off by about half the width of the muffler.

They have some minor installation issues. Do a search.

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]
post #6 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

While the "assymetrical" luggage makes good use of available space, I too did not like the looks. Function is usually beauty to me, but considering spending hundreds on hardware and luggage left me wanting to do it another way. I also wanted to make use of tool tubes for extra tools, chain lube, etc. So, I took the symmetrical racks off my '03 Vee with factory luggage and fitted it to the new Wee II. There will be no lane splitting with the luggage on, but that will be a fairly small percentage of my riding.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #7 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
not very quiet

Thanks Realshelby. I feel the same way, hence the question. Here's my '07 with symmetrical HT racks:

Same ones, a year or so earlier:

I liked them just fine and may choose that route again. But some of the resin/plastic luggage is nice looking. The Suzuki website lists other touring luggage, but there aren't enough photos for me to know what they'll look like. There is a slight advantage to buying accessories at the time of purchase (of the bike) in the form of discounts, etc. I'm weighing my options. I'll try to contact someone from Canada with the adventure model and the Suzuki touring bags to get a rear-view picture.

I looked at the U.S. adventure (trax) luggage and it's just not my style. They might be better if the racks hugged the muffler and frame a bit better, or if the bags hung at a more appealing angle, or both. Thankfully there are many choices.

That's the good part, right? If one person got to choose all of the options, there would be no options. No one else needs to be happy with my choice but me.

Please don't post just to criticize the question. Either you have an answer or you don't.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Even with non symmetrical racks, there is room for a tube. In this pic, you can see the left bag is closer in. There is still room for a tube. Since this pic was taken, I have actually installed one. One difference from the old bike is the seat lock on the side. That requires the tube to be shorter if the seat is to be removed without taking the rack with tube off.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just installed the Givi removal racks (PLR3101 for the 2012) and the Trekker 33 cases....I like them a lot........not too expensive and they went on like a charm......TD

2017 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX
2012 V Strom 650 Fox orange
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300, old mans crotch rocket
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV green
N1ATF
Spot 3
post #10 of 23 Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Givi PLX and V35 from the rear, stick out a bit more on the right, but still have room for a tool tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
glee , luggage rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode