Greetings! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking Greetings!

Hi all!

Signed all the papers on my 12 Wee Adventure yesterday, going to pick it up this afternoon!

I have been browsing for tips on first things to do and was feeling a bit overwhelmed... I love it!

Anyway, other than a center stand, can you all recommend things to look in to?

Whats up with the two different size boxes!?!?! I get that the left one fits a helmet, but WTF is it so far out for? Anything needed to be done for that? If not I am going to install some tool tubes in gap (or maybe park a VW Bug in there)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

To balance out the right side because its offset due to the exhaust. Definately look into a skid plate or lower Cowling (depending on your use). There was a thread on here where some one hit road debris and took out the oil filter and cooler. Also from what I have read on the forums is that the factory crash bars are quite vibey... There are a few threads on how to fix it for about $5.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

'07 Yamaha Vstar 650 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR600RR (sold)
'12 WEEEEEEEstrom :biggrinjester:
'13 Yamaha FZ8
post #3 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPockets View Post
To balance out the right side because its offset due to the exhaust. Definately look into a skid plate or lower Cowling (depending on your use). There was a thread on here where some one hit road debris and took out the oil filter and cooler. Also from what I have read on the forums is that the factory crash bars are quite vibey... There are a few threads on how to fix it for about $5.
Thanks for the info on the boxes! That is what I thought too because Suzuki is notorious for having really heavy mufflers (I had an SV1000S), was not sure though.

Vibey you say? Will get looking into that now. They did look a little unsupported where they cross in front of the engine.

Is there a suggested skid plate? I saw the Touratech one, the 2012 version does not relocate the oil cooler (previous years it does). Is the oil cooler in a different place then before? The one from Happy Trail seems like it would keep the oil cooler from doing it's job, but if the 12 is moved, then that is okay I guess.... ACK!

post #4 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The Glee uses a heat exchanger, #1, behind the oil filter to transfer heat between oil and coolant. It hastens warm up and stabilizes oil temperature as well as removing the more vulnerable oil cooler.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

SWEETNESS! Thanks Greywolf!!

Any thoughts on which plate to use since the oil cooler is not a problem? I like the Touratech design, not so much on the price tag. Also, since I don't get to lay hands on my bike for 4 more hours (where is my time machine?!?!:mad I don't know if that will cover all the tender bits.

Last edited by Huli; 07-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.
post #6 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I don't use a skid plate myself being a pavement rider only.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Engrave the the "clutch switch plug" diagnostic on your frontal lobes. It'll save you a huge amount of grief, just as did for me; I was already planning out calling a tow truck, getting the bike to the dealer, logistics... and then got smart and looked at Stromtrooper.

Symptoms: bike won't start, headlight dims when you try to start, panel is fine, battery is fine, start/stop switch is fine.
Solution: push in the tiny little plug by the base of the clutch lever till the little bugger clicks into place.

Required knowledge for Strom owners, IMO.

Ben / 2012 DL-650A
--
Givi: AF3101 windshield, crash bars
Kuryakyn: 4141 GranTour Bag, 4171 Saddlebags, 4161 Cranker Tank Bag
RichlandRick: lowering kit, kickstand "shoe"
Stebel Nautilus horn/mount kit/wire harness
R&G swingarm spools
[URL="http://solarcapitalist.com/"]SAE power socket[/URL]
Handlebar GPS mount (RAM ball + Arkon case)
post #8 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I don't use a skid plate myself being a pavement rider only.
I am mostly pavement, there are a ton of gravel roads around here that make me fear damage of... is there anything down there for rock damage? Exhaust pipe and rubber hoses?
post #9 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome to the " Adventure". Your gonna love it. The first thing you want to do is put on "STUFF'. And I mean all the stuff you can, the more stuff the better. Seriously though, ride it a while. She will speak to you, and then you will know. Ride Safe

just give it a little gas, it will be ok !!!
post #10 of 48 Old 07-14-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer View Post
Welcome to the " Adventure". Your gonna love it. The first thing you want to do is put on "STUFF'. And I mean all the stuff you can, the more stuff the better. Seriously though, ride it a while. She will speak to you, and then you will know. Ride Safe
I like the thought... sometime the speaking comes in a scream like "OMG WTF were you thinking you should have bought a protector for that !!!" LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode