Anyone else think the stock muffler shield too small? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Anyone else think the stock muffler shield too small?

I'm communicating with Dan over at "[email protected]" to design and build a mod for the existing OEM muffler shield.

I think the OEM shield is too small, does not cover "down" far enough to prevent soft luggage from contacting (and melting) the hot muffler on the side, especially when the cycle is on it's side stand.

He makes an aftermarket shield for aftermarket mufflers that offers lots of protection to soft luggage, but it's not compatible with the OEM muffler mounting holes and brackets.

I think we can make an accessory that supplements the existing shield by mounting "underneath" the existing shield onto the OEM brackets and "flolding over and down" the muffler side a bit further.

Dan would like to know if anyone else is interested? He's saying $25-30 + shipping...

2007 Suzuki DRZ400-S
2012 Suzuki DRZ400-S (sold)
2012 WeeStrom
2012 Kaw ZX-14R
2013 Yam WR450F (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

If for the 2012 Strom, I would be interested. I bought Dan's luggage/tool tube guard for the left. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my Nelson Rigg CL-850 luggage does just fine on the right with the stock muffler shield. I had to use racks on my DR650. My luggage on the right has not melted or been burned.

I had actually asked Dan about his aftermarket shield for the right side, and he said it would not be necessary. He was right.

2012 Suzuki DL650A
Three road, two mountain and one folding bicycle
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was thinking of going this route,

2012 V-strom 650 Side Luggage Racks Vstrom DL650 DL 650 | eBay

Kevin

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!

post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
If for the 2012 Strom, I would be interested. I bought Dan's luggage/tool tube guard for the left. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my Nelson Rigg CL-850 luggage does just fine on the right with the stock muffler shield. I had to use racks on my DR650. My luggage on the right has not melted or been burned.

I had actually asked Dan about his aftermarket shield for the right side, and he said it would not be necessary. He was right.
I'd seen you comment on this before, on a thread about PMR racks (here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...ce-needed.html )

I'm as surprised as you, I guess. I would have thought they would eventually collapse slightly on the "back" (the side next to the shield), lean in, and fry on the muffler.

No, huh? Well, that's good news about the quality of the Nelson Rigg bags.

I guess I'm gonna have another look at it tonite on the cycle, and try not to think too hard about this "small" stuff.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400-S
2012 WeeStrom
2012 Kaw ZX-14R
2013 Yam WR450F (sold)
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post

I too have nelson rigg soft bags (I use them on my GSXR all the time). I threw them over the new strom and I didn't think it would work out with that small exhaust shield. Oh well. Good excuse to buy the top case

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2006 GSXR 600 - sold March 2013 (it was a sad day)
2012 Glee standard
2009 KLX250S
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebgardner View Post
I'd seen you comment on this before, on a thread about PMR racks (here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...ce-needed.html )

I'm as surprised as you, I guess. I would have thought they would eventually collapse slightly on the "back" (the side next to the shield), lean in, and fry on the muffler.

No, huh? Well, that's good news about the quality of the Nelson Rigg bags.

I guess I'm gonna have another look at it tonite on the cycle, and try not to think too hard about this "small" stuff.
I do have my bags set fairly far forward, so as to make sure that the rear edge of the foam under mat of the bags is in contact with the rear edge of the stock muffler shield. If you wanted to set the bags farther back, I could see the potential for problems.

2012 Suzuki DL650A

Last edited by MillCreek; 07-11-2012 at 05:22 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Also, those are nice looking racks. I had the DR650 racks from the same company in San Diego, and they were absolutely bomb proof. It looks as if he has done another wonderful job on the Strom racks. I may get a set just for the heck of it. Even when I did not have my bags on the DR, the racks saved the plastics/turn signals a couple of times when the DR took a nap.

2012 Suzuki DL650A
post #8 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Nice Rack!

Yup, they are nice, huh? and, they're available now...

2007 Suzuki DRZ400-S
2012 WeeStrom
2012 Kaw ZX-14R
2013 Yam WR450F (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode