Versys or 2012 Wee? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
not very quiet

Versys or 2012 Wee?

I'm on the fence. I pared down a while back and sold me '07 Wee. Now I miss having a "fun" bike. Has anyone here ridden both the Versys and Wee that can make a direct comparison? The Versys is the one I know least about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

From what I've seen and heard, the Wee is more comfortable on the road and does better in the dirt, while the Versys is a bit more sporty fun on the road. The Wee has a common ADV sized 19" front wheel, while the Versys has the common road 17" front wheel.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Both are great bikes!

I had a Versys from 2007 to 2009 and did 70.000km on the bike.

I used it for everything from track day riding to long distance touring - it did it all well.

I've ridden a lot on the old version of the Strom and currently ride the 2012 version.

Compared to the V-Strom the Versys is slightly better on smooth tarmac going fast in the corners, but not nearly as good on bad roads/gravel as it has a firmer suspension and a 17" front wheel.

I had the Kawasaki high gel seat on my Versys and with that seat is was at least as comfortable as a Strom (better than the old version and on par with the 2012 model).

My advise is that you take both bikes for a test ride and buy the one that gives you the best riding experience - both bikes are great and you can't go wrong with either.

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:

Last edited by Don_T; 07-07-2012 at 06:57 AM.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I've had 2 Versys, I have one now as well as a Vee. I like both of them, but if it wasn't for riding 2up, the Versys would be my only bike...

I'm not interested in any off road/gravel, or dirt riding. That being said the Versys is not for any of that stuff, but on twisty roads it's awsome. Kawasaki even lists it as a sport bike. One of my favorite bikes ever. I love the handling, ergo's, decent power, and storage. The engine, like the Vee, and wee's is bullet proof. The sad part is I'll probably end up selling mine to get down to one bike in the future.

15 DL1000
post #5 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 AM
$tromtrooper

I ride the Wifes Versys once ina while. Can never really get comfortable with it. Seating has me squishing my goodies on the tank, and the bike never gave me a safe comfortable feeling. It is however better at acceleration than my Wee, the get-go pick up at red or on the freeway is nice. Tires for the Versys are mostly road, have not been able to find and 90/10 offroad. Both bikes are top heavy when full, Versys may be better for offroad fun, riding 2up it's the Wee hands Down.

Wife also has the 2012 Wee, she is begining to understand why so many people have switched over

FB MEMBER #133 - 2008 Wee
post #6 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
Kawasaki even lists it as a sport bike.

So do the insurance companies. I had made up my mind to get a Versys until I called my insurance company to get a quote and it was three times more expensive that the insurance for the Wee. Being a tightwad, I changed my mind PDQ. Glad I went with the 2012 Wee/Glee/whatever.

2012 DL650 "Bevo"
post #7 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Both Progressive and Safeco list my 2012 Wee as a sport bike. I pay $ 700/year for $ 500,000 in liability coverage and typical comp and collision. My personal umbrella policy requires $ 500,000 liability on motorcycles and $ 300,000 on my autos and home.

A good friend of mine has a 2010 Versys and I have ridden it several times. It is a great bike for the twisties and for speed riding. The ground clearance is not great, the muffler is at the bottom of the bike, and it feels very nervous even on gravel roads, and we were afraid to take it on anything rougher than that.

2012 Suzuki DL650A
Three road, two mountain and one folding bicycle
post #8 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

You may want to give this a read:
2012-650-adventuretourer-shootout-w/video

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]
post #9 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
not very quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
You may want to give this a read:
2012-650-adventuretourer-shootout-w/video
I've seen the video indirectly on youtube, but hadn't read the article. Very informative. Thanks.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 11:56 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
My 09 Versys insurance is 200 year, but the 012 my wife had was 400 per year....

15 DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode