New Wee owner - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

New Wee owner

I just purchased a 2012 Wee-Strom adventure!!! I haven't owned a bike in 28 years (I'm 53). It's really exciting to be back in the sport. Wow, bikes have changed. ABS, fuel injection, adventure bikes, etc. I picked the Wee-Strom for it's versatility and the riding position and it's somewhat of a conservative bike. It's a really fun bike. The standard model wasn't available ANYWHERE close but I got an awesome deal on the adventure model. I was planning on adding the extras anyway. I would have chosen different panniers though. The stock ones are functional but a bit over done. I can't wait to get it broken in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

That's awesome!

Congrats!

Here's to good and safe times ahead!
post #3 of 7 Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowman View Post
I just purchased a 2012 Wee-Strom adventure!!! I haven't owned a bike in 28 years (I'm 53). It's really exciting to be back in the sport. Wow, bikes have changed. ABS, fuel injection, I picked the Wee-Strom for it's versatility and the riding position and it's somewhat of a conservative bike.
Good on you Mowman. I'm a 63 yo just returned to riding after 16yrs away. So, some similarities for sure. What a blast eh! And ABS - on a bike - what a hoot. That's just fine for anything other than enduro style sliding into a corner with back wheel locked - to line the corner up - IMHO.
You're thinking the L2 WeeStrom is conservative. (apart from the bike club members)I'm surrounded by people that, while they like the look of the latest VStrom, wouldn't be seen dead on anything other than conventional 'standard' style bikes. The L2 is too way out for a lot of riders I think.
Here's wishing you many great miles under your wheels.

ps -- if you get annoyed at a vibration band in the rev range -- check-out the StromTrooper threads re that. Those OE crash bars the Adventure model comes with may need some playing with to sort-out.
... Chris

Last edited by chrisbre; 07-07-2012 at 12:07 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just got one myself after a 20 year hiatus. Looks to be a fun time.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Looks like the Wee is quite popular across the age spectrum. Thanks Chrisbre for the tip on the vibration. Now that you mentioned it I do remember reading about it somewhere. Mine does have some extra vibration around 4800-4900 rpms. I'll take the bars off to see if that's the problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just bought the same bike a couple of months after not having a bike for a couple of years. Last bike was a Road King--before that a Fatboy. Both nice bikes but I like the 650A better than either. Almost as comfy as the Road King and handles better. I just got home from 3400 miles to Colorado and back with the bike loaded with everything but the kitchen sink--the bike never missed a beat even up to 75-85 mph on the interstate. Vibration from the oem crashbars is fairly easy to get rid of--I never once thought about any vibration problem.
Nice bike--seems like the more I ride it the more I like it. You're going to enjoy it.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowman View Post
Looks like the Wee is quite popular across the age spectrum. Thanks Chrisbre for the tip on the vibration. Now that you mentioned it I do remember reading about it somewhere. Mine does have some extra vibration around 4800-4900 rpms. I'll take the bars off to see if that's the problem.
Congrats on the new wheels! The minor vibration you're experience has been discussed ad-nauseum here. I some some very minor vibration from 46-4800 on mine, followed the post on here. I put some innertube rubber in the splice where the crash bars meet in front of the exhaust. That got about 90% of the very minor vibration I had. I want to find something a little thicker and denser... and after just posting a reply on tank pads I realize I have extra material left from my tank pad install and that should be perfect. I expect it will be all gone after that.

Temper what you read on here with some common sense. It's often those that ride the least and know the least who whine the most and are free wheeling with advice that may or may not work. Do your own homework before you spend too much cash or a lot of time wrenching.

Most of all... get some miles on it and have fun!

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode