PITA fitting SW bash plate - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

PITA fitting SW bash plate

Dunno who punched the holes :mrgreen:No matter how loose/tight/ or what combination I try with the brackets,or how many times I try to line up all the holes it cant be done.
Rat tail to the rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

bumma

an SW Motech was what I was thinking of buying -- sounds like they're a bit random in the fit and finish dept
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I find your experience quite surprising. I had no difficulty whatsoever installing the SW Motech skid plate. Everything lined up properly.

Is it possible they are made at a different plant in Australia as opposed to the US? Could the item you received be for the wrong model bike? If it's impossible to install the distributor should replace it or give you a refund.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

Last edited by liketoride2; 07-06-2012 at 08:23 AM.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
I find your experience quite surprising. I had no difficulty whatsoever installing the SW Mototech skid plate. Everything lined up properly.

Is it possible they are made at a different plant in Australia as opposed to the US?? If it's impossible to install the distributor should replace it or give you a refund.

Mike
Idaho
Ride Around the World 2005
I don't think they are made here in Oz

I got mine on without much problem but have taken it off again and am looking to swap it for a B&B bash plate, which is made locally here in Australia.

Ock. in Oz

I ride naked and unafraid.

Windsor (near enough)
NSW
Australia
post #5 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
I find your experience quite surprising. I had no difficulty whatsoever installing the SW Motech skid plate. Everything lined up properly.
+1 I had no issue at all and it lined up well. Had to get the middle bracket pivoted to the right spot but that only took a few seconds. Had it off and back on after oil change and no issues with that either.

I'd have to think these are made on a jig or CNC so wonder if you got one for another year/model.

I've installed 4-5 SW-Motech devices on my new WeeV2 and they've all been spot on and easy to follow directions and piece of cake to install.

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
post #6 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Don't you have to assemble things in the opposite order down under?
If the holes are only a little off, how about drilling them out or make sure the other parts that you are attaching to are correct.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Interesting replies.
Good to know that that some folk have fitted the plate with no problems.Possibly mine is a Monday morning job:mrgreen:
A bit more info---(Wee2)rear bracket is fixed to side stand and no adjustment,center under bracket is located with one bolt and can pivot.
On my plate,when the rear bolts are fitted its impossible to fit the center, even with the center bracket pivoting.Rat tailed that problem and have the 4 bolts in.
Now the bolt holes in the two front mounts are---RHS half a hole,LHS a full hole out of line,with both front brackets raised as far as possable.Maybe they could be forced into position but things like that only make removal/replacement a PITA
More rat tail filing will fix that and the trick CS washers will cover the elongated holes but---------------
Anyone replaced the 2 front brackets with an extension plate to the crash bars ? :bigear:
I'm not that fussed on the front brackets bolted to the engine covers,looks a bit ordinary to me.
I could have sent them back but just cant be bothered with all the drama. I will let the supplier know there can be problems.
Would I buy them again---NO
Macca
post #8 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same issue with mine. I ended up having to reform the front left bracket. Basically hit it with a 3lb sledge a few times to decrease the angle of a few bends... Lined up ok after I beat it into submission. Oooo take the bracket off the bike before you try you hit it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

'07 Yamaha Vstar 650 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR600RR (sold)
'12 WEEEEEEEstrom :biggrinjester:
'13 Yamaha FZ8
post #9 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockerstrom View Post
I got mine on without much problem but have taken it off again and am looking to swap it for a B&B bash plate, which is made locally here in Australia.
Hi Ockerstrom,
can you share your decision flow with your favouring the B&B (other than that it's made in Oz). To me the B&B looks very non-mainstream/a bit home-made-ish in design. and the SW looks great to me.
Are there functional/design things you don't like with the SW?
Thanks

Last edited by chrisbre; 07-06-2012 at 08:00 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbre View Post
Hi Ockerstrom,
can you share your decision flow with your favouring the B&B (other than that it's made in Oz). To me the B&B looks very non-mainstream/a bit home-made-ish in design. and the SW looks great to me.
Are there functional/design things you don't like with the SW?
Thanks
The SW Motech bash plate I have is a three piece construction, the sides are riveted to the base section.

I think this makes it a bit weaker, although it does look very stylish.

The B&B is made of heavier gauge alloy and is more robust.

I think SW now make a one piece for the Stroms now as well though.

So for basic protection the SW would be fine, for more serious rough stuff the B&B would be better to my way of thinking.

Just my opinion mind you.

Ock. in Oz

I ride naked and unafraid.

Windsor (near enough)
NSW
Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bash plate , installation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode