I took the plunge - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

I took the plunge

Today, with my wife's encouragement, I took the plunge.
I've been talking about getting the Vstrom 650 Adventure, since I first saw a picture of one.
I took my Vstorm DL1000 to Larson's Cycle in Cambridge, MN and traded it in. Although I don't take delivery for a week, I think I got the best trade possible. I got what I wanted for my bike (de-farkled) and paid only $9099 plus tax, title and license fees. I also took advantage of the 0% financing.
Life has been good to me today, as with every other day leading up to this one.
I'll post pictures of me and my new ride once I take possession.
Life is good!!!!!!!!

SGTBob
Currently own:
2012 DL650 Adventure and a 77 Honda CB750A (Automatic)

Many of life's failures are people who had not realized how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

sounds great you will enjoy the 650, i test drove the liter bike and thought the 650 was more nimble plus the abs is great! good luck and congrats.

~~~>Jay<~~~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs up

Another MN owner! I got mine at Larsons too. I have only seen one other orange out on the road. Maybe I'll see a black ADV one soon.

I was just at Heinens and they only have one ADV on the floor for $8999.00 FYI.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Ah....Larsen's. Brings back many memories. I bought a few bikes from them. Spent my first 25 years growing up in Stillwater and Forest Lake, even used to race against the Larsen boys back in the late 70's early 80's.

Enjoy your new ride and it sounds like you have a great wife!

Steve.

14 Super Tenere ES
12 Burgman Exec
Former 12 Glee owner
post #5 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats!

Hey Bob,

Congrats on the new ADV. I've been riding mine now for a month and just over 1300 miles between rain storms! I went from a GS Adventure to the Wee Adv and I'm loving it. Was originally worried about power, but seems to be more than enough for me. Mileage is great! I've gotten 57-64 on 1st 5 tanks and regular 87 octane gas! Yehaa...

Enjoy and post a pic or two when you get it!

Cheers,
Don

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2012-Suzuki-Vstrom-650/"]2012 Wee V2 Adventure[/URL]
[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles"]My motorcycles and Adventures[/URL]

[URL="http://mainuh.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2010-events/Newfoundland/"][/URL]
post #6 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

I bought the 650 Adventure myself but decided I'd keep my 2002 1000 since they wanted to steal my old one. I think the 650 has plenty of power for the North Georgia mountains and is soooo much smother than my old V. I did the clutch basket fix on my old bike and put a new chain and a tune and it runs great but still doesn't compare to the silky smooth 650, except in a straight line.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats

Good choice! I love mine so far. 58 mpg on yesterdays 150 mile ride on regular.
The Trax bags sure hold a lot too. Enjoy that ride.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
Hey Bob,

Congrats on the new ADV. I've been riding mine now for a month and just over 1300 miles between rain storms! I went from a GS Adventure to the Wee Adv and I'm loving it. Was originally worried about power, but seems to be more than enough for me. Mileage is great! I've gotten 57-64 on 1st 5 tanks and regular 87 octane gas! Yehaa...

Enjoy and post a pic or two when you get it!
Well, I've had the bike for a month now and I have 1,072 miles on it. I've added the radiator guard, bash plate and highway pegs. Here are a few pictures.
So far I've visited Duluth, Little Falls, and Cokato area in MN. I'm hoping to (eventually) doing some much longer rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00201.jpg (96.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00206.jpg (96.2 KB, 55 views)

SGTBob
Currently own:
2012 DL650 Adventure and a 77 Honda CB750A (Automatic)

Many of life's failures are people who had not realized how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas Edison
post #9 of 11 Old 08-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Great purchase with the aluminum side cases. I've just got 600 miles on my 2012 Wee in black (of course). You will never regret this 2012. I love mine. Just installed a set of PL3101 side case mounts from Givi. Then I bought a pair of inexpensive 21 L cruiser sidecases from Givi since I'm not a super serious off roader.

Enjoy the Vstrom addiction!

Cheers,
Barney
post #10 of 11 Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Another MN owner

Got the black ADV model from Hienen's here. Live in Andover, 20 minutes from Larsons. Just got back from my first significant road trip with this bike (Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Cooke City, Red Lodge). I really feel like I didn't give up anything from my 1150 GS Adventure. Maybe a little less seat of the pants acceleration even though 1/4 mile numbers are similar. Just as comfortable, good wind management, etc. Did have to make a stop at a Suzuki dealer in Idaho Falls because a bolt wiggled out. Harley guys i was riding with made a big deal out of that.

Anyway, no regrets here, and I am sure you will be very happy too. The highway pegs (Yann's) were fantastic on this trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode