2004 DL 650 vs 2012 DL650! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

2004 DL 650 vs 2012 DL650!

My son rides the '04 and I have the new '12 650 after riding the '03 Vee for several years. We just got back from a trip to West Virginia where we stayed with family and rode about 1000 miles showing my son the places I spent time growing up. The Sena bluetooth communicators were worth their weight in gold for this trip!

We rode probably 100 miles or so of gravel, LOTS of two lane blacktop, couple hundred miles of divided multi lane, probably 100 miles or so of blacktop that was not lined but still mostly two lane, and some of the best twisties WV has to offer.

On the gravel the Wee II has a definate edge as the front suspension on the Wee is very harsh and the extra weight is noticeable. Even though the Wee has Shinko 705's the WeeII was more stable. On the backroads it is about the same, the new WeeII just simply has a suspension that works better and it feels WAY lighter than the actual weights of each. On the highways the '04 has a better windshield/deflector setup and Russel seat so there is no comparison in comfort for high mile days, but that is no fault of the '12 Wee and I will fix that.

The twisties: Riding Scherr mountain, route 20, and route 33 was a blast! I never once drug my pegs but drug my toes several times in the turns. The '04 was behind me most of the time at an equal pace and he was dragging the pegs and boots often. Both bikes have the peg lowering kits. I could look in the mirror and see the sparks from his pegs, I wasn't even touching my boots yet! The difference is the suspension. The front suspension on the '04 compresses in the turns. The rear shock was set on full preload ( the '12 was at minimum preload ). Hitting the brake coming into the turn on the '04 would compress the fork and it didn't want to return, I think that was a lot of the clearance difference. The tires were great, I felt the front Trailwing on the '12 move once, probably due to something on the road, but only slightly. The Shinkos were equally good, neither bike had but about 1/8" of chicken strip left.

Fuel mileage: the '04 had fresh iridium plugs and air filter and was in perfect tune. The '12 had about 1500 miles at the start of the trip. Overall I averaged 59 mpg on 4 fill ups on the 2012, the '04 averaged 52 mpg. Same distance, same roads, same speeds, with the exception of about 130 miles I had a passenger with me on the 2012.

I couldn't be much happier with the performance of the new Wee II. Even two up in the mountains I felt I had all the power I needed. The new suspension is good enough that I probably won't upgrade it. Brakes are about the same and I might put the HH pads on it later, having ABS is one of the reasons I bought the new bike. I have the windscreen set up very good and may leave it like it is for now, I do know there could be a little quieter smoother setup, but the flexibility this one allows is useful ( Givi Airflow ). I'll get a Russel seat on it and see if it is good for all day rides.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

thanks

much obliged for the comparison
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

thanks for the writeup, is always interesting to read others thoughts, experience's with the new wee.
Maybe your son's bike wasn't getting as good MPG as yours 'cause he was dragging tne pegs so often ! :mrgreen:

2012 DL650 Adventure

post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the comparison. I found it very interesting and wish I had been on some of those great roads with you two.

Now update your signature on TWT to reflect the Wee II.

Steve.

14 Super Tenere ES
12 Burgman Exec
Former 12 Glee owner
post #5 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks so much for the comparo. I am lusting after the new Wee as I am thinking about changing my main bike and consequently riding style and type of riding. I will hate to lose my VFR800, but since moving to Oklahoma from Washington state I am frequently (almost always) lamenting the absence of twisty roads. We do however have many unpaved areas to ride here...
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDr View Post
Thanks so much for the comparo. I am lusting after the new Wee as I am thinking about changing my main bike and consequently riding style and type of riding. I will hate to lose my VFR800, but since moving to Oklahoma from Washington state I am frequently (almost always) lamenting the absence of twisty roads. We do however have many unpaved areas to ride here...
You might find the Wee II more fun in the twisties than you are expecting. While it won't have the power of the VFR, with a good set of "street" tires it might just be more fun on the tight stuff. This bike is more stable at high lean angles than the '04 Wee and the '03 Vee which has the fork brace. It feels a lot like my BMW with Ohlins shocks, it just stays where you put it till you change input. Very impressed with the stability in turns as well as running down the interstate logging miles.

And yes, when you feel one of those unmarked roads calling you the Wee II is a LOT better on that than the VFR!

The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Cool

Hmmm... sounds like the '04 needs some suspension maintenance.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSTROM View Post
Hmmm... sounds like the '04 needs some suspension maintenance.
It wouldn't hurt it any, but at 13,000 miles or so it feels the same as when it had 3000 miles.

What it is getting is new springs, oil, and MAYBE the valve kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode