12,000km service - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

12,000km service

Hi all,

This is related to another post I did on Tyres and Services in Canada. I was able to get a new set of tyre and an oil change done at Alberta Cycles Edmonton who squeezed me in today which was great as I only popped in yesterday. I was hoping to get a full 12,000km service but this would mean hanging around a week or more before they had time to schedule this and i was happy for the moment with tyres and an oil change. My question is to you V-strom experts out there I have missed both the 6,000 and 12,000km services and have only changed the oil and filter at 1,500 and 2,500km and only the oil at 11,111km so my question is there anything I should be concerned about as looking at the maintenance schedule the only thing that actually needs replacing are the spark plugs and the rest is just check and tighten. I am continuing my journey from here up into Alaska so was wondering should I be concerned at lack of services and I can live without changing the spark plugs for while but is there anything else important i may have missed your thoughts please bike is running just fine;-)
and for those who are interested a link to my blog which I keeping on the trip I am making
Phillys Big Trip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean10 View Post
Hi all,

This is related to another post I did on Tyres and Services in Canada. I was able to get a new set of tyre and an oil change done at Alberta Cycles Edmonton who squeezed me in today which was great as I only popped in yesterday. I was hoping to get a full 12,000km service but this would mean hanging around a week or more before they had time to schedule this and i was happy for the moment with tyres and an oil change. My question is to you V-strom experts out there I have missed both the 6,000 and 12,000km services and have only changed the oil and filter at 1,500 and 2,500km and only the oil at 11,111km so my question is there anything I should be concerned about as looking at the maintenance schedule the only thing that actually needs replacing are the spark plugs and the rest is just check and tighten. I am continuing my journey from here up into Alaska so was wondering should I be concerned at lack of services and I can live without changing the spark plugs for while but is there anything else important i may have missed your thoughts please bike is running just fine;-)
and for those who are interested a link to my blog which I keeping on the trip I am making
Phillys Big Trip
Spark plugs are iridium now, good to > 50,000k's.

Have the valves checked at SOME point but it's unlikely there's anything critical.

I would get some lock-tite and check all the bolts I could, particularly the ones holding rear plastics/chain guard on and the ones holding the steering stem to the front plastics.

I'd also suggest getting some silicone adhesive and smearing it over the clips holding the gear change lever and footpegs on and on the bolt that holds that small lever on the gear change mechanism onto the shifter splines. Stuff rattling loose or being kicked off by flying stones is the risk there.

Don't use lock-tite on the panel screws going into well-nuts though

The 2012 model has lock-tite in a lot more places than the older model.

Pete
post #3 of 3 Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply made me feel a bit more confident about my skipping the services strange if a spark plug can last 50k plus why they need changing at 12K. You are right about thing rattling loose so far my GPS holder , a nut on SW Motech carrier worked themselves loose neither of these Suzuki parts the other one was which was more worrying was the Chain Adjuster on the right hand side allen key nut was loose as well I am not sure if this worked itself loose or was just not tightened correctly when I had my tyres changed keeping an eye on all 3 spots just in case and checking regularly for new loose bolts. Dalton Highway tomorrow so that should give it a good rattle ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode