Wee and Southern California Highways - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wee and Southern California Highways

I'm a couple of months into my 2012 Wee ownership and I just love the bike. I put a reply in the buffeting thread but I wanted to get wider opinions about riding the bike on the superslab.
Riding at 70 mph on the grooved roads in San Diego, the bike was very unstable due the intense buffeting; stock windscreen in the highest position with the fork brace.
Can anyone out here comment if they feel the Wee is a So Cal highway rider?
My intention isn't to make this another windscreen thread; what's the experience of other So Cal Wee owners?
Thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Got to ask, why is motorway driving so different in Southern California compared to the rest of the world?
post #3 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

In the US, at least, the character of the highways and highway drivers are different in different parts of the country. I'm retired military and have lived on both coasts, North and South - when traffic is moving, freeway drivers in So Cal drive faster than anywhere I've lived. The road surfaces are different as well, we have grooved roads down here for the occasional rains. The highways I've ridden back East are usually flat asphalt or concrete.
Driving on the interstates here below 70 mph is suicidal - speed of traffic is often higher. At 70 mph and above, the Wee felt unstable in my current configuration due to buffeting. I'm not sure how much the road grooves played a role as I haven't driven other bikes on the slab here. Driving the backroads here at 60 mph and below the buffeting is only a minor nuisance.

As for the rest of the world, I couldn't tell you - I don't ride there:mrgreen:

post #4 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah the freeways in california are nuts. The surface is grooved, covered in huge patches, and usually either coming up or down a hill.

I learned to drive in LA. My first freeway driving experince was driving my little jeep on the 405, I remeber my moms words, "you need to be 10mph over the speed limit or you be driven off the. Road" truer words were never spoken.

To the op I commuted in LA for 4 years on an xr650l. You just get used to the buffeting, speed, and poor surfaces. No farkle is going to really make it better. After a while you'll hardly notice it.

Sent from my phone...there will be spelling errors!

If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got.
post #5 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

So everyone is in a rush to go somewhere, on roads that are designed for cars and not bikes.
post #6 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Like To Split Lanes?

If you like to split lanes, keep in mind that these bikes are more massive than others. If you're used to a sportbike or similar, you will see that the DL is a tighter squeeze.

I ride my bike so much, on Sundays I take my car out for a spin.
post #7 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
I learned to drive in LA. My first freeway driving experince was driving my little jeep on the 405, I remeber my moms words, "you need to be 10mph over the speed limit or you be driven off the. Road" truer words were never spoken.
I had to tolerate the basin "highways" for a couple years, though I don't recall having to go over the speed limit. They seemed more like parking lots.

[IMG]http://kolobwebstudio.com/myimages/strom_liquid_jesus.png[/IMG]
post #8 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Is it possible the instability you are experiencing is more due to the grooved pavement and than the wind? I have experienced grooved pavement during some of my travels and sometimes found it to be very unsettling because of veering and wandering.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net
post #9 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots View Post
I had to tolerate the basin "highways" for a couple years, though I don't recall having to go over the speed limit. They seemed more like parking lots.
Well, except for that part.
post #10 of 35 Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM

I've noticed on the grooved roadways around San Diego, I feel the front trying to follow the grooves. This might be okay, but some of the freeways have been expanded and the new lines are 10 - 20% off center from the old grooves.

I have a few windscreens for my Wee so PM me if you want to try them for a week at a time or something to see if it affects the issue. I'm in the Rancho SD area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode