Murphs Center Stand - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Murphs Center Stand

Has anyone used the Murph's Center stand on the 2012 Wee? Murph said that they weren't compatable because of the lack of a bumper. Seems like the bumper problem could be solved. Are all the center stand mounting points and dimensions on a 2012 the same as a 2011?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I put a Murphs on and like it. I zip tied 2 layers of auto heater hose to the stands cross member so it would have some cushion, don't know if it will save me from damage or not but seems OK.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

In my experience:
Murphs centerstand mounting points and hardware package fit up fine on a 2012 Glee. Some creativity is currently required in order to prevent the stand from contacting hard spots when in the retracted position.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideronthestrom View Post
Has anyone used the Murph's Center stand on the 2012 Wee? Murph said that they weren't compatable because of the lack of a bumper. Seems like the bumper problem could be solved. Are all the center stand mounting points and dimensions on a 2012 the same as a 2011?
I put one on mine. It does not contact any parts of the bike when fully retracted. It merely bumps into itself at the limits of the pivot joint. It does not clank. The worst that may happen is that the powder coat will wear off , on 2 (each 1/8" square) little nubs, allowing for a little rust. I'll probably look for a little bumper, but there is really little need. It flops the bike up w/nearly no effort and seems fairly stable. The foot lever for the center stand & stock side stand are very close and it takes a little attention to make sure you foot is one the right one. it lowers the left hand cornering clearance by about .75" (longer peg feeler provided).

Mine was in fine shape and I've bought much more higher end accessories that were 2012 specific that did not fit very well. Given the price point, I must say, "RECOMMENDED!"

Last edited by glasswave; 06-25-2012 at 07:52 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Another.

Murph's center stand is on mine sans bumper. I've crawled around on the floor and looked at it very carefully/ closely. I think the center strut of my stand JUST kisses the rear shock linkage when it's retracted.

Knowing that freaks me out a little, but I've put 2000 miles on it - some of that bouncy/ rocky off-pavement, and nothing has exploded yet.

I must be a dope, because I can't see an easy way to rig something that doesn't involve some metal work a-la the OEM stand. If you don't have metal working tools, even a simple project like this can seem daunting. It's on my to-do list but sadly the bike is perfectly rideable so it's not a priority.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
Another.

Murph's center stand is on mine sans bumper. I've crawled around on the floor and looked at it very carefully/ closely. I think the center strut of my stand JUST kisses the rear shock linkage when it's retracted.

Knowing that freaks me out a little, but I've put 2000 miles on it - some of that bouncy/ rocky off-pavement, and nothing has exploded yet.

I must be a dope, because I can't see an easy way to rig something that doesn't involve some metal work a-la the OEM stand. If you don't have metal working tools, even a simple project like this can seem daunting. It's on my to-do list but sadly the bike is perfectly rideable so it's not a priority.
I think the solution is in a fastener shop, any small rubber bumper with a hole in it could be rigged to the center stand crossbar that would bump the linkage. A hose clamp could fix it to the cs crossbar. I'll let you know what I find. I am going to the fastener shop for other bits,

[SIZE="1"]Trips:
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months)
Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)[/SIZE]
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

The Murph's kit I got (for <=2011, apparently) actually INCLUDED the rubber bumper. What's missing is the hole to shove the bumper's barb in.

I'm hesitant to use the swingarm/ shock linkage thingy (terminology escapes me at the moment) as a center stand stop - that part MOVES with the suspension. Riding over bumps would potentially fling the stand down. Now that I think of it, tho, the whole stand is connected to that piece, isn't it? Altho it PIVOTS from it. Having a spot hit it a distance from the pivot would be a LEVER.

The older bikes stopped on the exhaust - which is fixed to the rigid frame (as opposed to swingarm/ suspension or subframe.

I think I'm over-thinking this.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Dale Walker sells a bump stop on his site for the bandit. drill a small hole and tap it, screw in the bumper. it bumps off the bottom of the shock. i did this on mmy 1250. 'if' my foot was on the center stand, then i could feel it moving up and down with the shock. it was very un-nerving but affected nothing. i rode it thousands of miles like that. just had to move my foot off it.

2012 DL650
U.S. NAVY, RETIRED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode