First Wee 2 Trip A Success! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

First Wee 2 Trip A Success!

Just got back from my first trip on my Wee 2 and I have to say is "it never stopped amazing me what it could do!" This bike, hands down, is the best I have ever owned/ridden. I did 850 miles in 4 days, yes I know that isn't much, with 4 other bikes (all crusiers). We camped 3 out of the four days and I had somewhere between 75-100lbs of gear loaded on it. Started from Symra, GA to Helen, GA (met up with the remaining 3 riders) and on to Cherokee, NC. From Cherokee, NC to Ashville, NC and back to Gatlinburg, TN. From Gatlinburg to Robinsville, NC (hitting the Dragon's Tail on the way in). Loaded down I was still able to hit those corners harder on my Wee 2 then I ever did on my 09 CBR600RR. This bike hooks and books like nobodys business. I would have never thought it could do that. Finally from Robinsville, NC to our final night in Suches, GA. All back roads, no major interstates/highways. I have a strong feeling this bike will remain mine for a very long time!

'07 Yamaha Vstar 650 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR600RR (sold)
'12 WEEEEEEEstrom :biggrinjester:
'13 Yamaha FZ8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 PM
$tromtrooper

The joy never stops.

My 2006 Wee-Strom thrilled me at first, and continues to be a joy after 73000 miles, so I suspect your prediction is correct.

There are many accessories that you can select for your bike. I suggest you take your time about adding cases and racks and lights. I have generally made all my accessories, so they are cheap and do what I want.

One simple example: a fellow in Massachusetts had his oil filter pierced by a piece of debris. He got home safely and fixed the problems quickly, then bought a skid-plate. Ironically, this struck some jutting pavement at one of his frequently visited customers. I chose the cheap route: I put a magnet on the front of my oil filter and stuck a customized tin can to the magnet, so my filter is armored. Big deal, but think of how much you would be delayed by a ruined oil filter in Cherokee NC.

Good luck! <-- redundant; you have had that already.
Keith

post #3 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I had the skid plate installed about the first week I had it. I saw that as a potential problem before it left the dealer. almost 3 months and 4500 miles later now...

Ya I saw his post. Some pretty nasty damage....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

'07 Yamaha Vstar 650 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR600RR (sold)
'12 WEEEEEEEstrom :biggrinjester:
'13 Yamaha FZ8

post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just finished a 3 day 1000 mile ride, MT / OR / ID, on my heavily loaded Adventure model. The bike performed flawlessly, (although the operator didn't always :mrgreen and it still avereaged 51 mpg, which I thought to be very good. I was on mostly twisty two lane highways, and never once felt that the new wee was lacking in any area. I really do love this machine and can't wait for my next ride!

2012 DL650 Adventure
post #5 of 5 Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPockets View Post
Just got back from my first trip on my Wee 2 and I have to say is "it never stopped amazing me what it could do!" This bike, hands down, is the best I have ever owned/ridden.
Agreed, big-time - and this is coming from a guy who's owned a ridiculous number of bikes! (I used to buy them, fix them up, and sell them in the 1980s...) I had to travel a couple of hundred miles to Pennsylvania to pick up my new Wee 2, and spent that whole weekend running the twisties in the Poconos and falling more and more in love with it. Wore all the shine off the tires, no "chicken strips" left - and the bike did absolutely everything I asked it to do.

Granted -

1) This is the first brand-new bike I've ever owned;
2) It's the first "made after 2000" bike I've had;
3) It's the first fuel-injected bike I've ever had; and
4) I've still got "new bike fever" in full measure -

BUT it's still... just fantastic. My GF has ridden pillion for about 90% of the 1600 miles I've already put on it, and she is as eager as I am, if not more, to go explore, play, and cruise aboard this lovely machine. Yesterday, we put another couple of hundred miles on it - fishing the reservoirs in Putnam County, NY. The best places were off the road, and the Wee handled us (and I'm a big boy) plus a good 50 lbs of gear, plus a couple of fishing rods (which fit perfectly inside the license plate bracket; a Velcro strap 3/4 of the way up, and you can ride with them in place!) over gravel, through tall grass, and up/down steep-ish gravelly inclines. It was also (almost) a pleasure going over the NYC potholed roads that used to punish us so badly and watching the Wee glide over them with barely a bump - nothing but excited 'SQUEEE!' from the GF.

I look forward to the next 100,000 miles!

(@Keith: Great idea about the oil filter. Mod coming up.)

Ben
--
Farkle fever results, so far:
Givi crash bars
Givi AF3101 windshield
Stebel Nautilus horn/mount kit/wire harness
R&G swingarm spools
Kuryakyn 4141 GranTour Bag
Kuryakin 4171 GranThrow-Over Saddlebags
Kuryakin 4161 Cranker Tank Bag (not installed yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode