Hey now I know what the flashing gas symbol is for!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hey now I know what the flashing gas symbol is for!!

I just rolled over 400kms on the tank and the flashing pump went to a flashing last block on the fuel gauge, I parked the bike at work knowing I would be hitting the gas station on the way home, well I guess the hot sun evaporated the last of my fuel because the engine did not even sputter. well now I know that light means business! Better fuel up when the last gauge block flashes cause you are on fumes at that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yep, even on the earlier 650's you don't get far after that last block starts flashing [just ask some of the local 650 riders here in Oz. ].

Does the Glee gauge do the same as the Wee gauge does

When I first got mine I noticed it didn't drop the first bar until it had covered around 200km [130 miles approx.] so I thought "fantastic, I will get 1000km per tank full of fuel" [about 620 miles approx.].

In reality I get around 425km with a couple of litres left when riding around town, I have managed 500km without running out on a couple of road trips. :beatnik:

Ock. in Oz

I ride naked and unafraid.

Windsor (near enough)
NSW
Australia
post #3 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Funny, my experience has been the opposite - until the 2nd post, I was gonna jokingly ask if you'd forgotten to raise the side stand

Unless it's 30+ miles between gas stations I only even pay attention when the last solid bar blinks, at which point I put in about 4.25 gallons (16L) to fill it up, with a gallon left in the tank. The most I've ever refueled with was just over 4.5 gallons (17+ liters), after riding another 10 miles to the next gas station on the blinking bar. Maybe 4.65 gallons. My actual mileage (kilometerage?) varies widely between mostly city commuting vs. highway touring, but the fuel gauge behavior is consistent.

If I refuel when just the fuel pump light blinks (last bar is still solid), I put in about 3.5 gallons (13.25L)!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Last edited by robardin; 06-29-2012 at 09:32 AM.

post #4 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Funny, my experience has been the opposite - until the 2nd post, I was gonna jokingly ask if you'd forgotten to raise the side stand

Unless it's 30+ miles between gas stations I only even pay attention when the last solid bar blinks, at which point I put in about 4.25 gallons (16L) to fill it up, with a gallon left in the tank. The most I've ever refueled with was just under 4.5 gallons (17L), after riding another 10 miles to the next gas station on the blinking bar. My actual mileage (kilometerage?) varies widely between mostly city commuting vs. highway touring, but the fuel gauge behavior is consistent.

If I refuel when just the fuel pump light blinks (last bar is still solid), I put in about 3.5 gallons (13.25L)!

So you haven't got to the point where the last block is just an empty flashing red square then?
That is the bit I'm referring to as almost nothing left when it flashes.

Ock. in Oz

I ride naked and unafraid.

Windsor (near enough)
NSW
Australia
post #5 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The book says the last block starts flashing on the Glee when there is 2.5 liters left.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The book says the last block starts flashing on the Glee when there is 2.5 liters left.
And (at least on mine) it does, so it's good for 50 to 60 km.
post #7 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockerstrom View Post
So you haven't got to the point where the last block is just an empty flashing red square then?
There are no red spuare on the 2012+ Strom only on earlier models - and this is the 2012+ forum...

I find the fuel gauge to be very accurate - when the last block starts flashing I got 2 liter/+50km left in the tank, and I rarely start looking for a gas station before that happens.

That means that I often can go +500km before refueling - one of the things I really love about this bike

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:
post #8 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just checked the manual to confirm I was halucinating when I read the final warning was a flashing hollow block. But I wonder how much gas evaporated in the sun on a 38 degree day in the sun?
post #9 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockerstrom View Post
It goes from fuel light blinking and solid last bar on the left, to the last bar blinking as well as the fuel light. I don't think there's a third stage warning.

post #10 of 39 Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
On a recent tank, I refueled just as the last block was flashing solid after 455km. This was after a recent group ride..mostly speeds of 60km/hr - 90km/hour actual. The bike took 15.8L, so I had 4.2L left. My manual says I should have 4.5L left when the last block starts to flash...at that range, I would have over 100km before dry.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode