Suzuki "accessory bars" vs. "crash bars" - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Suzuki "accessory bars" vs. "crash bars"

I would love to know if anyone has dropped a '12 on Suzuki "accessory" bars - and how they made out.

To me they don't look like they would provide much protection in the event of a drop. Suzuki calls them "accessory" bars - I'm sure there's a legal morass to call them "crash bars" - but I wonder if they're even ABLE to take a drop. Are they just for show and aux light mounting?

My bike came with them, so it's tough to justify spending $$ on aftermarket bars. Not so if they're just cosmetic, tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Well, they worked fine for me in the crash that totaled my bike (hit a car which came out at a right angle at a little under 30mph), landing on its right side. The passenger footpeg mount was really bent, the exhaust suffered cosmetic damage, and the foot pedal and brake pedal broke and were bent into the engine cover, respectively. The engine itself and parts of the fairing not damage frontally were fine.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just like everyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
I would love to know if anyone has dropped a '12 on Suzuki "accessory" bars - and how they made out.
I lost balance and laid my bike down while stopped in a gravel parking lot, and it sat nicely on the clutch lever-wind protector (or whatever we call that thing), the "accessory" bar, and my top case. Not a single scratch to any other parts on the bike whatsoever. Now that I've gotten entirely rid of the vibration in the bars, I'm a happy guy again.

"The rise in popularity of reality shows has brought people to live experiences second-hand in a context that involves no adventure, no danger... Whereas the road takes you out into the world."
- Walter Salles, about On the Road

post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen - it's good to know. I'll stick with the stockers and hope for the best. I know it's a matter of time before they're tested. Speaking of which:

Brian, I must have missed the post detailing your accident. I hope the fact that you're replying here means you're relatively in one piece!! That's NOT how I hope to test my bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode