12V power adaptor options - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

12V power adaptor options

I am looking to add one or two cigarette lighter type 12v power adaptors to my 2012 adventure and was wondering what the various options are to achieving this. Also any advice on wiring it/them up would be appreciated.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

By coincidence I installed a Powerlet (sometimes called "BMW style") plug in on my 2012 yesterday, as I have done on most of my motorcycles over the past several years. Powerlets are said by some to be more more reliable than cigarette size plug ins, but either can be used for this purpose. Adapters are readily available to go from one to the other.

I simply attach wires to the battery terminals using loop connectors, run the positive wire through a fuse holder, and then connect to the socket (I want the socket to be continuously powered and not switched). Either don't attach the wires to the battery, or don't install the fuse, until the installation is totally completed to avoid an accidental short . There are numerous locations on the DL 650 where the socket can be mounted. I chose high on the colored, plastic body panel below the seat on the right side as it is in a convenient location and there is plenty of space behind this panel on the right side (but not on the left). Of course this involves drilling a hole in the panel, whereas if a bracket (these can be purchased) is used and mounted somewhere no drilling would be needed. Another disadvantage of installing in a body panel is that the socket has to be disconnected if the body panel needs to be removed, but if the wires are attached to the socket with small spade type clips this isn't much of a difficulty.

One source for powerlet accesssories, and there are many, is Whitehorse Gear - www.whitehorsegear.com/powerlet.

Hope this is of some help.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

Last edited by liketoride2; 06-20-2012 at 10:11 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had mine installed by the dealer as part of the negotiated deal for the bike, but it would be quite easy to install yourself. I asked that it be installed horizontally (see the photo..outlet is under the sticker on the left side). Upside is that connectors probably won't wiggle out, downside is that water could get in during a rain if a connector is plugged in..but I don't think a little water will really hurt anything). All the dealer did was run a fused wire back to the battery. The connector is hot all the time in my case. At present I use this one for my battery tender, I have a 12v tire pump and my GPS and could use for charging blackberry etc.

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)

post #4 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Powerlet is the way to go. I installed two basic Powerlet leads to the fornt of the bike for GPS and phone charging etc. Also, bought their terminal 8. It's a cheaper option for a fuse block.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Another option is a USB power socket. I just purchased two of these today. BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB

They have internal fuse and are suppose to work pretty slick. I don't have a need for Cigarette lighter anymore. All my electronics use USB for charging.

08 DL650 Flat Black
(Formerly: [URL="https://www.stromtrooper.com/stromtroopers/73004-changed-my-username-windharvester-snopro753-pics-inside.html#post788292"]WindHarvester[/URL])
post #6 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

I put mine here.
All my accessories (GPS, phone, etc.) are all cigarette style plugs so I went with a high quality Marinco 12V receptacle.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

great stuff, thanks for the replies. I am particularly interested in the usb type option as most of the stuff I need to charge has usb cables.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro753 View Post
Another option is a USB power socket. I just purchased two of these today. BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB

They have internal fuse and are suppose to work pretty slick. I don't have a need for Cigarette lighter anymore. All my electronics use USB for charging.
Are there SAE connecters on the 2012 vstrom that you can plug straight in to?
post #9 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by timspong View Post
Are there SAE connecters on the 2012 vstrom that you can plug straight in to?
No, but it's easy enough to add one. As to Powerlet, everything I own that plugs into a vehicle uses the other system.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #10 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timspong View Post
great stuff, thanks for the replies. I am particularly interested in the usb type option as most of the stuff I need to charge has usb cables.
What about powering an air compressor?
A flat tire in the boonies without phone service could be a long day - and night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode